“Four Words Sum It Up”

Holiday Inn Express Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed March 27, 2009

Awful and absolutely overrated! I mistakenly went by the postings herein...and either I misunderstood what I read or my expectations were unrealistic. The location is less than great, the service was awful, and we switched rooms three times before finding one that we could tolerate for one night (as we cancelled the remaining three days of our original reservation). The value does not equal price... Wouldn't stay again or put my pets up here. But to its credit, the cinnamon rolls at the breakfast buffet were pretty good :-) .

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
HIEPalmDesert, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory. It is our goal to ensure that all guest experiences are 100% problem free. I am sorry that you experience problems in each of your rooms. Please feel free to contact hotel management to discuss the problems in more detail. We would welcome the oppurtunitity to understand the situation so that we can address the issues.

Our location is located only a few minutes from shopping and their are many restaurants in walking distance.

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed February 13, 2009

We booked the room through priceline literally at the last minute after realizing staying with relatives just wasn't an option. We were in town for a wedding the weekend of Nov 15th. Upon arrival, we realized that our $50/night bid really paid off, we got an excellent deal. We checked in very late at night. The lobby is nice. They offer coffee, tea, hot chocolate, oatmeal, popcorn and more in the lobby. It was perfect because we are avid coffee drinkers and the 4 bags of coffee in our room wasn't near enough.

Our room was located on the ground level closest to the street, our patio was practically in the parking lot. At first we were disappointed, they told us there were no other rooms, but it was quickly made up for with the amenities. We had a comfy king sized bed, a desk, fridge and microwave. The room was very spacious, instead of a closet we had a wardrobe, we also had a comfy chair with ottoman. The a/c blew very cold.

The bathroom was spacious. The sink was outside the bathroom, was very pretty with granite, but not much room. Across from the sink was a matching granite counter with a mirror, only about 2 1/2 ft wide (same as the sink area) but it held the coffee maker and tray. I had to move those so I could get ready, I needed room for my makeup and hair appliances. Would have been nice to have a separate vanity with a chair since I'm disabled, but I totally made do with what was there and everything was fine.

We had no issues with noise being so close to the street and parking lot, we still felt we had privacy even though our patio was open and not enclosed like the balconies. My boyfriend smokes, so he spent more time out there than I did.

Breakfast was more than we expected. They had a huge variety of items, main food being eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, but similar to a McDonalds meal (or worse) still edible and filling. They also serve pastries, bagels, toast, cereal, juices, peanut butter, jelly, milk, and much more. My boyfriend really loved it and loved that it was free.

No complaints about the tv. We did not visit the gym or pool, There was a vending machine near our room. Wireless internet is free, they offer a printer above the lobby.

Staff was great. There was an older lady on the late night shift who was especially sweet and helpful. I had forgotten to pack toothpaste, they offered it complimentary, even offered a toothbrush if you need one.

The location IS a little out of the way, especially for us, since all our activities were in Palm Springs, but was not a problem whatsoever. There is plenty of shopping and fun nearby.

We spent more time in our room than with family. We were overall extremely satisfied with our stay. It was a very romantic getaway. We will definitely come again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank JadisRationality
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Very excellent Holiday Inn Express. I will save the explanation of what a Holiday Inn Express is like, but suffice it to say that it is about a three star hotel on a four star scale. The room was very nice, and we slept with the small balcony sliding glass door open the whole night, because we were on the third floor and the weather was beautiful. The room was very clean and the bathroom was very nice. I would surely stay again if I got a good deal.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2008

This is an exemplary Holiday Inn Express, both good and bad.

Good:
* Large, clean rooms
* Good location of highway with lots of restaurants/facilities nearby. Palm Springs not too far away, Joshua Tree within driving distance
* Free internet (though wifi was slow at nights, probably too many people using it)
* Refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker etc in room.

Bad:
* Breakfast is free but very limited and unappealing, to the point we skipped it entirely
* Laundry facilities only had one machine/drier. Took 3-4 hours to find an open spot.

Overall, very decent choice.

rates: quoted price of $105 was very high, in my mind, Got a much better deal through priceline name your own. Area is full of similar motels and I struggle to believe there's a marked difference between this hotel and the nearby courtyards, comfort inns etc.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed recently at this hotel over the thanksgiving break. The hotel is well located on the main highway 111 and is close to everything. There are a lot of things to do nearby, like the palm springs tramway, casinos etc.

The rooms are decent size and clean. Hotel has a great spa and pool. Sometimes the hot tub/jacuzzi temperature was really high (you could boil in the water or get 2nd degree burns), but management fixed it promptly once we and other guests pointed it out. Morning breakfast is scrumptious but gets very crowded between 9am and 10am. The front desk staff is not that friendly (they did not greet us on check in and check out etc.), but the house cleaning staff is great.

Good hotel to stay on your visit to the palm springs area if you want to be close to attractions and are looking for a good deal.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 17, 2008

Needed a place to stay for a night while traveling east out of California and thought I'd give this Holiday Inn Express a try.

Front desk help was kind and considerate when I checked in but that is about where the pluses ended at this hotel.

All I can say is this place is worn and in terrible need of a complete makeover. Probably was a nice place to stay say 10+ years ago but today it really shows its age. Room smelled when I opened the door (thought it was cigarette smoke but I think it was due to microwave popcorn that is available to Priority Club members to use in the room). Room just looked used and old. Shower curtains looked dirty and the showerhead did not work properly. Figured I'd just deal with it.

Turned on the television and learned that half of the channels, namely the local ones were not quite right. I wanted to just relax, watch some local news and call it a night. Unfortunately the sound did not match the picture (big delay between sound and picture - similar to watching an old Kung Fu movie). Also the volume could not be turned up to an appropriate level. Called the front desk and a hotel workman showed up, nice guy, just didn't speak much english. Basically he did nothing and then said "I'll be back." He never returned.

Breakfast was o.k., nothing super. Bagels, toast, bananas, eggs and sausage.

I really hate to complain but I'd recommend to find somewhere else to stay or maybe spend a little more and get a nicer hotel. This is now my second unsatisfactory stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I've come to the conclusion most of them are old and their best days are way behind them.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank hondast1100
HIEPalmDesert, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you feed back on your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the age and condition of the hotel. You will be happy to hear that over the last month, we have replaced all our bed sets with new pillow top mattresses and replaced the guest room carpet in all of our rooms. We are also happy to share that our television issues have been resolved. We have recently programmed all our channels to satellite for a new crisp clear viewing.
I do hope you will try our hotel again and if you do I believe your experience will be much different.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 12, 2008

one night stay via Priceline. Arrived after 10pm and drove passed the driveway because of construction barricades and the appearance of parking lot paving during the day. After driving around the block, I realized there was only one driveway, the one I just drove by. Saw a twelve foot opening and finally in the lot. Quiet, checkin was no problem, third floor king size room. AC was noisy, but cooled the room. The hotel is across the street from a Albertson's supermarket (open till midnight). Location wise, this place is the furthest south of everything, drove by closer hotels and it felt like I kept driving and driving. Place is ok, but would be nice to stay closer to the main drag.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you positive feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that you were not as close as you would have liked to have been to the destination of you choice. I am pleased to announce that our parking lot will repaving will be completed by Friday November 20th, and that it will be completely open to all guest with no obstructions. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in the future.