“Friendly Hotel, Great Service”

Holiday Inn Express Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Had a nice weekend stay with my family. The staff and the service at the Hotel were great and very efficient. Room was clean, beds comfortable. We enjoyed the pool. We will stay again the next chance we get. Very reasonable rate for services offered. Good location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ingrid038

Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed here for three nights and on the whole were happy. However swimming pool area rather dirty and on Saturday (all afternoon) they had some idiot DJing and blasting music in the pool area which was so loud I gave up and went back to the room! I really don't mind music by the pool, but this was rediculous! Also loads of kids drinking beer and doing shots by the pool which was a little worrying given they were around young childrent. We did have an issue with cockroaches in our bathroom which made me a little uncomfortable! Restaurant and bar good as was the location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoShay23
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Hotel staff was very friendly! The rooms are average, a bit small, but comfortable. Coffee 24/7 with a nice little selection of flavored creamers was a really nice touch . We thoroughly enjoyed this stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank djohnson760
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I can't believe Holiday Inn Express would attach their name to this run down hotel. I'm a Priority Club member, travel often, and stay in Holiday Inns all over.
The rooms are small, bathrooms tiny, sinks are outside the bathroom, and very tiny.
They do try to keep it clean, but frankly, the hotel needs a complete overhaul.
I would never stay there again. Poor value for the money.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Dixtraveler
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Where do I start. How about the TV circa 1980 or perhaps the torn and ripped carpet or the dirty, torn curtains, broken door on the armoire. How about the towel rack in the bathroom that was "fixed" by maintenance, but put back up at least an inch off horizontal...nice, real nice! Oh, did I mention the non grouted tiles in the bathroom? But wait, there's more! We left our room early and returned at 5:30 p.m. to an uncleaned room. When I went to the front desk to inquire, the clerk asked if we had kept the privacy sign on our door. When I told her no, her only response was "well, housekeeping must have been cleaning the other rooms for the incoming guests." She had no apology and no further ideas for a resolution, except recommended we talk to the General Manager in the morning. Really! Does anyone around here know Hotel hospitality 101? We travel a lot and have stayed in standard, business and high end hotels, but this hotel ranks right next to the crappy youth hostel I stayed at in NYC when I was 19! The fitness room had 1 beat up stationary bike, 1 treadmill of the same quality and 1 old stair stepper. I suppose the hotel feels that's good enough to check the box on a fitness center. Shame on expedia for the 3 star rank! To bad for Holiday Inn, as after my experience here in Palm Desert, they're completely off my list of places to stay in the future. In the hotel business, cleanliness, courtesy and consistency are tops. The Holiday Inn Express in Palm Desert missed the mark on all 3!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Onedazedrunr
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel was pretty nice. At first I was off put by the fact that this Holiday Inn is not remodeled or new. It looked outdated upon arrival however the rooms are decent and the breakfast buffet was plentiful despite the fact the hotel was at full capacity. Very comfortable beds with great linens. My bathroom was tiny but the water pressure was great as well as modern/curved shower curtain. The A/C was wonderful; very effective. TV was small and not flat screen. Room had a micro and mini fridge which is always nice. Pillows were lumpy and not down however they weren't the worse I ever slept on. I found the room to be very clean and it smelled fresh which is a big plus for me. Overall it was a good experience and I would probably stay here again if I am looking to stay in palm springs on a budget. If you can splurge you might want a resort because this place is very bare bones. The pool is small, not heated, and sits next to a power generator. It was cold when we were there so it didn't matter much however, if you want to lounge by the pool you might be a little disapointed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Based on the favorable reviews I read about this hotel, I was optimistic that we would get a decent room during our brief stay in the Palm Springs area. I got a little discount for the room through my credit card company, so I figured it wouldn't be a loss if it was just average. While I wasn't expecting luxury, I was at least expecting something clean and ready for us when we arrived.

I paid for our 2 nights at this hotel in advance and requested a king bed. When we arrived, the hotel seemed older, but still quite nice in the reception area. When we went to our room, we saw that we had been given a room with 2 doubles. No big deal, we went to the front desk and asked to be moved to a king room. The room we were given was a handicap room...right in front of the elevators. Neither my husband nor myself are handicap and we are still in our early 30's, so I was not sure why they gave us this room. I guess the lady at the desk said they were booked for that weekend. Surely a regular king room was available since we booked and paid for our stay several weeks in advance...where was the room we SHOULD have gotten?

We went to the front desk (for a 3rd time) and asked for a room away from the elevator. We got another room and were finally ready to relax. As I looked around the room, I was expecting that it would be older, but I wasn't expecting it to be so run down. The drapes were torn and had toles--they were also dirty. There was hair in the bathtub. The carpet was dirty--when I dropped my contact lens accidentally, there was all sorts of filth on it just from being on the floor a brief moment--it clealy hadn't been vacuumed at all. The "armoir" had broken doors. We also did not have a remote for the TV in our room. I actually felt the room was depressing. We were here for a fun getaway, and I got to the room feeling really bummed and feeling like the trip was off to a terrible start. We didn't feel like going to the front desk for a 4th time, so we just left for the evening and ended up spending our stay out of the room as much as possible.

The ladies at the reception area were nice, but this place was a big let down. I was also miffed to get home and see that they charged my credit card for a portion of the stay that was supposed to be billed to the rewards program of my credit card company. Yet another thing I had to deal with. My husband and I have stayed at many places in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area (we come here several times a year for getaways from the kids) and have had great luck with every place we have stayed. I have found this hotel to be the most disappointing--I never felt comfortable walking around without my sandals in the room and just didn't feel like I was on vacation. As a result, I'm leary of staying in any Holiday Inn facility again--I thought that I could expect a clean and decently maintained room for the money we spent. We will definitely not be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple