“Run to this Hotel, best of the best...”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Los Angeles, California
“Run to this Hotel, best of the best...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

After a horrible experience at the Riviera in Palm Springs (see Riviera review) we had to flee that place and find another in the middle of the night. We'd previously stayed at the Marriott and so headed there. What can I say, it is just great. What a contrast to where we were a cple of hours earlier. Beautiful lobby, great staff, very nice clean room with comfortable King bed, big balcony, great pool/mountain view, restaurants are excellent, Room service menu is very good, Starbucks is in the lobby, cool little gondola boat to have a tour of the waterways, nice shops, very professional/courteous staff, awesome big pool, 2 big jacuzzi, great golf course from what I hear but I'm not a golfer. We enjoyed our time there last year, and this year was every bit as good. There's even a great bar and cool big tropical birds all around you can talk to. I'm sure there must be some other very good hotels in Palm Springs/Desert area, but this is the one we will go back to every time. It's just that good. Also, and at least part of the reason I think for it's good quality, is they have mostly european staff who know what they are doing. Bosnian, Polish, Czech, Russian, Argentinian and so on. Makes a difference folks. This is a Euro quality Hotel with Euro quality service.
On top of everything else they have a great fitness center and spa. It goes on and on. Just stay here. Find a room deal somewhere and make it happen. You will be happy you did.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Korean first
Duluth, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is a nice property overall. The room was clean and well equipped. I arrived late and the walk from the lobby was a bit long. I had to go up in one elevator and down in another and through several long hallways. Very confusing. I wanted a soft drink after in the room and found that there were no machines anywhere and nothing in the so called mini bar. It was an empty refrigerator. I was forced to just drink tap water or go get an expensive drink at the bar but it was already nearly 2am Eastern time for me after a long flight. The next morning I went to the health club that was I was told was free only to find that they were shut down and out of order. And, I had to walk a long way there because it was not connected to the hotel. Fortunately the weather in Palm Springs is wonderful so I took a 5K run outside around the property. This property is a little older and is fine but I would not have wanted to pay the high rate to stay here. It was covered in my business so that was not an issue. If you can get a deal it is a great place. I did like the fact that you could open sliding doors to a outdoor balcony. And I had a great view!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
San Rafael, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,513 helpful votes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

I believe this is the first 2 star I have handed out to a hotel, and I wouldn't do it unless it was necessary. So here are the details, and you decide for yourself.

The Good:
The hotel lobby was recently remodeled and it was very well done. It had a nice bar in the center. Fountains, lights, and high ceilings. It felt very glamorous and I was super excited as my first impression of the hotel was great. We checked in and the front desk staff was extremely friendly. They even gave our kids toys when we arrived.

The Bad..
Unfortunately it was all down hill from here.. so we'll go right to The Ugly

The Ugly:
The very friendly bell man, led us to a hall, then a turn, then an elevator, then a very long hall, then a glass door, then a very long hall, then another elevator, then a very long hall.
I had to stop him half way and asked " Where are we going?" Because I felt we were going to the other end of the earth. I am only exaggerating by maybe one turn or hall way. We really had to take two elevators to get to our room. When we finally arrived, the room was like a dungeon. It was dark and felt cramped. And the toys that they gave us at check in didn't make us feel better about it. .

The bell man showed us how close we were to the kids pool as we had requested, so I fought the urge to ask to be relocated back to civilization. I wish I had gone with my gut, and moved rooms on the spot because in the morning we realized that the "cute" man made lake outside our window was more like a swamp attracting bugs.
We made our way down the ramp out to the kid friendly pool. We were one of the only people there which was great. The bummer was there was no staff to give you clean towels. The kids "hut" was closed and no one to wait on you to bring you a cold drink, or order lunch.
We grinned and bared it, but on day 2 after poor room service, poor maid service and no pool service. I had to ask my husband, "Wouldn't we be better off saving our money and staying at home? We have a pool. What's the point? " I guess the warm weather was the reason we came down in the first place. I told him, either we move hotels or we go home. So off we went on an adventure to find a hotel and we found a great one nearby called Rancho Las Palmas. Which ironically was recommend by one of the very friendly front desk people when I informed them that we were cutting our stay short based on numerous items.

Also, of note, on our second day, I visited the shops at the hotel. The ones on the exterior of the hotel. I have to say, these people most likely are not employees of the hotel, as the stores appeared independently owned. I am guessing they rent space at the hotel, however the clerks in one of the stores were soooo rude, it was a detriment to the hotel. I walked in with my baby, they did not even acknowledge me. They were having a conversation between themselves. I finally "interrupted" and asked if they knew of a children's clothing store. One of them answered curtly that I would have to go into town, as the children's store at the hotel had closed it's doors. She didn't offer and other help and went back to her conversation. I really could not believe the rudeness. Really, crazy stuff.

Anyway, aside from the newly done lobby and the nice front desk staff for check in and out, this place stinks. Really, it does, especially the rooms near the "swamp".

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MelissaBradley
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

The room was less than desirable. The sheets on one of the beds were dirty with stains. I found housekeeping making up the bed with the same sheets until I brought it to their attention. The mattress was lumpy and not very comfortable. They were in the process of changing the mattresses on some of the floors.The shower door leaked causing a big puddle on the floor.Other than that the hotel was a nice place for a weekend stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Redondo Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

We stayed here for New Year's eve and one additional day. The hotel is huge and dated but looks clean and well maintained. Pool area and common grounds looked very nice. I have however stayed at other JW Marriott hotels/resorts and this one is far, far below that standard. This is more like a regular Marriott. For the price we paid it was reasonable but this is not a first class resort by any means. The rooms were ok but there was little attention to detail. In the bathroom some of the hardware was broken, the bath products that were available were the cheapest drugstore type.I would stay here again but only if the price was <$150 night

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Belleair, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

My husband and I, our daughter, her husband and their two little ones (ages 9months and 2 1/2 years) recently stayed at this gorgeous resort. We requested three adjoining rooms, in the main building, and were extremely pleased with our accommodations. The rooms were very spacious. All had a refrigerator, a spacious bath with a separate enclosed shower and a balcony. The beds were so comfortable, the pillows were wonderful, and all were fitted with high end linens. The hotel lobby area has been beautifully redecorated. Our rooms were lovely, but I think it might be time for Marriott to start thinking about redecorating the rooms. The furnishings are attractive, but are starting to look a bit tired. We opted for the high speed internet in one of the rooms and there was a $12.95 per day fee. We self parked and there was no charge. If you have valet parking, I believe it was $12 per day.
With the two kids it was easier to eat at either the Lake View Restaurant or the pool side restaurant. The food was very good, the portions generous and the service was excellent. The prices, were a bit pricey, but not surprisingly for this type of resort. However, if you're inclined to sit by the pool and enjoy a few drinks, you and your party should expect to pay a hefty bar tab. There is also a Starbucks right off the lobby, which we all went to before our morning walk.
The two 18 hole golf courses were both wonderful to play and the course conditions were pristine. The only complaint, the play of game was ridiculously slow. The pro shop said there were rangers on the course, encouraging the golfers to play a bit faster. But we didn't see any. The day we played it took 5 hours to play 18 holes!! It was so frustrating. However, when we were there in May of this year, we didn't experience this at all. Thankfully, the course is so pretty and has such great eye appeal that that was a wonderful distraction and kept our frustrations at bay.
The grounds are so beautifully landscaped. There are all kinds of birds, ducks and even flamingos everywhere. The pool areas are spacious with lots of chaise lounges. The hotel was not busy, so there wasn't any problem finding a chaise. The pool water was very warm and the hot tubs (2) were great. The only thing that would have made the stay with the two kids a little more fun was if there was a playground area. There isn't an area where kids can just run and play. Although, maybe the management wants to keep it that way!! Irregardless, we had a fabulous time and kudos to the entire staff at this beautiful Marriott property.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
columbus, ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

First, let me be clear that I don't like Palm Springs or Palm Desert at all. While I am by no means an ideologue about these things (I am ok with Disney world, for example) the abuse of water required to feed these unnatural communities is always laughable and sometimes unbearable. But enough of that; the hotel:
Well, it's a giant convention hotel with great big pools, a central bar and a weird, fake lagoon in the middle. It's gimmick is a silly short boat around this silly water features. The pools are pretty nice, and the service at the pool seemed pretty good -- though I was there on business and didn't have a chance to check this out thoroughly.

The spa was nice but crowded, not exactly serene; the massage was good not great though the staff was pleasant and competent.

The hotel worked fairly well for a large convention. Everything was within acceptable walking distance and the guest rooms were close enough to accommodate those who wanted to move back and forth between the main program, private meetings and, yes, the pool and spa. One exception was the catering service, which was important because a lot of the gatherings at this particular conference occur in private rooms. It seemed that the catering service was completely overwhelmed by this large a group, and though the wait staff was incredibly hard working and tried to be helpful, the organization and execution was just terrible.

I found the rooms to be average, in size, quality and comfort. The exception was the bathroom which was pretty close to substandard with the absolutely worst shower head I have encountered since I stayed at a Days Inn off the Pennsylvania turnpike about 15 years ago (others in my party had more newly refurbished bathrooms and did not report similar problems.). The beds were reasonably comfortable with decent bedding and the high speed internet worked well. I did have a nice pool view, and the weather was quite wonderful, which is why, of course, all that water was diverted to create resorts like this one in the first place. If that and the golf courses are enough to lure you to this area, then I think there are much better choices.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!