“Great mid week in May!”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I think your view of this hotel depends on when you go. I went May 23, 2007, a Wednsday. It was great, uncrowded, and comfortable.

The pools, unlike what people say about weekends and high season, were perfect. One pool had no one there at all for a half hour. Of the other two, right next to each other, one had only 1 quiet group at one end of the pool, and the other one, no one at all. What a difference from these other reviews.

I stayed there a couple of years ago, also mid week, in September, and the pool temp was way too warm, as you'd expect after three months of 100+ degree weather. In May, pool temp was perfect - a little cool in the one pool away from the others and a little warmer in the area with two pools.

Room was very nice, with a little loveseat, and a nice size balcony. Bathroom very nice, with separate shower and tub.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 19, 2007

Let me start by saying that my stay included the best and the worst all in the course of a week. My family stayed there over the Easter week, which coincided with Spring Break as well.
The Good- I can honestly say that up until last month I've never seen the Easter Bunny arrive via parachute! The Easter activities were free and they were very entertaining- culminating with the sky-diving arrival of the bunny on Easter Sunday. The Easter Egg hunt was also a favorite for my 7 year old!
Our Room- Check In was smooth and easy, unlike what I have read below. The room we were given was a nice view, although a distance from the elevators... which didn't seem to work. I did not see many cleanliness issues, but unless it is obvious I probably wouldn't notice it.
Food- not typical hotel food- that is a good thing.
The Bad- Like I said, we had Easter... but also Spring Break. The pools were a zoo, and outsiders seemed to take up most of the space. There was a lot of drinking, and I saw several times where staff had to "assist" guests out of the area for bad conduct. I would have to say this was not the memory I wanted for my family. Also, these same people would parade throughout the resort without shirts and it just seemed classless. I did see a lot of manager-types trying to stop this, but without much success. When I called to voice my concern to the manager in charge, I never did get through. After telling my story to the desk people who apologized and seemed to care, I still did not see any change. I kept trying to reach the manager on duty, and finally I when I reached him I saw some positive results. Also, he ended up sending my children a gift which was unexpected.
My suggestion to people looking to stay here- contact a manager first to try to make sure your stay is good. While it should never come to this, don't risk it based on the comments so far!
The manager I spoke to was Darren something- the operator connected me to him. I would call him to make sure you have a good overall stay- at least you might make some sort of list and an upgrade?

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank TVDoc
Reviewed May 12, 2007

Phil had a business conference here, I signed on for the trip. The resort is nice, from a resort POV. Very welcoming lobby, which makes itself central (we ate there once & enjoyed watching a B-ball game on a Sat afternoon with other people, it was fun). The grounds are gorgeous.

We waited an hour for our room; we checked in at Noon, so were not surprised. I heard the dreaded "But it's a nice room" euphamism that below reviews will mention. To my delighted surprise, ours, at least, was a very nice room. We overlooked the pools & golf course with mountain views. Spectacular. The bed was very nice. The sitting area nice. The baths were recently redone, but, as usual, I have issues... Wasted space on a soaking tub (not jacuzzi - even then, do peole ever use them?) By doing this, the stand-alone shower was very, very, very cramped & obviously male-designed. Could not shave my legs without turning off the water. Phil, who is 6'4", just by washing his hair had water overflowing the shower door, made a mess every time. Kudos - huge vanity, enough room+ for a lady's needs

Lakeview Restaurant A+ buffet breakfast ($22.95 reasonable once you compare to the ala carte prices for anything) with the best omlette, literally, I have ever had. Room service was prompt & tempertature appropriate (we had 1 dinner & 1 breakfast, both nicely done, pizza blah but OK). Sushi bar in the Lobby is fantastic, but it closes at 9 pm???!!! Don't they realize that East Cost clientele are off their clocks & eat late anyway?

Resort fee of $20/day was worth it if you have a car ($11/day ala carte, recommended) & either want to work out ($15 ala carte) or use Internet ($10 ala carte). Request a room closer to parking to avoid earlier-reported complaints (there are other elevators, don't listen to the desk suggestions, you'll find them). Personally, I don't have kids, but believe that the lawn fee should be waived or included in this fee - the whole point of a resort is for kids to feel welcome, it shouldn't cost extra for lawn games. I also, personally, have BIG issues with fitness center fees (shouldn't we be ENCOURAGING people to work out???!) Also, you will see the resort touting its "walking trail" - it is a sidewalk along busy streets that border the outside of the resort. It is a nice walk of ~3.5 miles & fine but not a "trail" - for anyone with knee issues, there is grass to walk on for ~80% of the walk; but you are walking along with traffic, it is deceiving the way they promote it.

I had my hair cut by Mala @ The Spa, she was great.

Other things: ABSOLUTLEY rent a car at the airport. We didn't at first, we got all the way out the Desert & realized we would miss out on the whole PS experience & just be stuck at a resort. $60 cab to PS proper or the rental agency at the resort charged $57/day. YET, we contacted an agency at the airport & got a rate of $14/day!!!!!!!! Absolutely worth it.

HATED Saturday here. We had been there Wed-Fri & loved the lux of the resort. Then, Sat am all H*ll breaks loose with weekenders - horrible attitudes, "reserved" chairs (towels @ 7 am, but don't show til Noon, actually witnessed a fight for an umbrella - dusgusting). There should be signs like "Reserved" & "Available" on chairs that flip - so staff that sees 12 chairs in a line unused for 3 hours could allow them to be be "Available" instead of letting people who want to be out enjoying the pool have to sit 6-chairs back at 9 am to acommodate the bacherlotte parties who can't wake themselves up until Noon but had a friend reserve chairs... Bitter? Yes, a bit, thanks, but something just didn't ring right. & the anomosity it created (seriously, 1 fight, & lots of people chatting about past problems, it just seemed so neg.) it ended out stay on a neg note.

Thursday evenings is a family-oriented street fair in PS downtown. Enzo's in downtown is exceptional for a nice, nice meaning not cheap but not dressy, dinner ($100/ 2 with 2 cocktails each, split app, split salad, 2 entrees) excellent al dente pasta, reasonable $, wonderful bartender & hostess. Also, highly recommend the PS Tram up to the mountains, what an incrediable experience & a quick nice 2-mile walk. THAT was a huge highlight of our trip. Azul seems to be a Thursday G-nite, good cokctails, nice people. Blue Coyote, despite what I read, was really excellent, amazingly authentic, awesome salsa, great service.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Nicci
Reviewed May 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed here in mid April for 3 nights/4 days and had a great time! The lobby was absolutely beautiful and the service there was fantastic. Had a glass of wine in the lobby bar one afternoon while waiting for my husband to return from golf and it was so very relaxing. Our first day there we hung out by the pool all day which was relaxing - pool service was excellent (this was a Thursday mind you - not that busy)...had dinner that night at the Cliffside and it was wonderful - absolutely no complaints (short drive from the hotel). My husband had lessons at Shadow Ridge the next couple of days and I just lounged by the pool - did get a lot busier by Saturday afternoon but still no complaints. Grounds are well kept, gym was great even for a temporary gym...we are already planning our return trip!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colleen_Dallas
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Me and my husband stayed here Thanksgiving weekend 2006, and we absolutely loved the Hotel. I was a bit wary since I had been reading about their lobby renovation and other reviews, but the lobby renovation did not affect our stay in any way. We had a fast, speedy check in, and we received a large king room, with a large balcony, and the bathroom was very large, as well. The only meal we had was room service, and the food was delivered promptly and was delicious. The only thing that I thought was a bit annoying was the long walk from the self parking structure to our room. It felt like it took forever. Overall, I would definitely stay here again. We did not use the pool but it did look nice. We got out and enjoyed Palm Springs, and it was nice to come back to our room at night.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank agirlinca
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I am staying at this hotel for a convention. When I checked in I was told my room wasn't ready but they had a nice room with double beds. I took the room it was over looking the parking lot forevver away from the pool and above the "club" that stayed open until 2:00 am. The next morning I asked to be moved closer to the pool because I was staying there a couple of extra days to relax (I'm a silver member and thought I would get a nice room).

They said sure they had a nice room for me with a balcony over the pool that I could have late in the afternoon. After waiting four hours I got my room with a pull out bed in a couch (one of the connectors for a suite) and no balcony. The front desk folks (and whoever that call in the "back" to arrange rooms) did not seem to care a bit about all the trouble.

I Would Not Stay In This Hotel!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank tdtrvler
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My kids loved the boat rides to the restaurants. One of the pools was heated,huge pools good for swimming and playing.
Rooms pretty average but comfy beds and the maid service was super the rooms were spotless and she picked up after my kids !!
Some of the resaturants are a bit up themselves but good for hotel resorts.
Lobby is fab and the family lawn games are great $10 per family per day to play badminton,croquet, bocce soccer etc.
We had a great break here and will definetly return!

• Stayed: April 2007
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!