“Great Hotel, Huge property”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Juaners
“Great Hotel, Huge property”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I came here with my partner, as he had a conference and my job allows me to work from practically anywhere. Palm Springs area is one of my favorites. I have never stayed here before, so it was all new to me and trying to get my bearings on how to get around took a day or so.
Our room was fairly big with a balcony overlooking the golf course, over on the left side of the property. I would have chosen a higher floor and facing west or east to get some sunlight. However, it was free and I was not about to complain.
There's a parking structure and I highly recommend you use it, since it gets hot and if you have leather seats, well it goes without saying. The elevator leaves you right in the middle of the ballrooms from the parking structure.
The place is really big and my only disappointment was the size of the pools. They seem small for such a huge property. The main pool which is in the middle is a zoo and full of kids. I avoided it like the plague!
There's a Starbucks and a really good sushi restaurant in the lobby, great to grab something to eat between meals.
I highly recommend you eat at the Italian restaurant, Tuscany, the food was amazing.
Overall, this place is beautiful and if you are looking for an all inclusive place that you don't have to drive anywhere, the J.W. Marriott does a good job at that.
There are a lot of families, partially, I think it was the spring break, so there were a lot of kids but our room was quiet, not once did I hear anything outside.
If you do stay here, make sure there are no conferences scheduled.
I personally cannot justify paying $300+ a night for a hotel room, when there are other properties in town that are closer to P.S. and suit my needs, however with that said, If I can find a deal, I would stay here for a few days.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Juaners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Korean first
Dignan3432
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed for one night for a quick getaway for the wife and I. I have stayed at two other JW's in the past and was quite excited about trying another. However, I was disappointed overall with this experience. Newly renovated lobby is impressive and check-in was quick and easy. $25 resort fee that covers parking and wired Internet but that is to be expected. Sprawling is not a big enough word to describe the hotel. Grounds are nice with an artificial lake and golf course but getting from parking structure to the rooms or from the pools to the rooms was awkward. Rooms are nice but nothing out of the ordinary. Patios with decent views seem to be the norm for every room and the bathroom is large with separate tub and shower. TV has a few HD channels which is a welcome change from other places I have stayed where they have brand new HD televisions with blurry channels. We had a great pool experience at the Springs Pool seperate from the main ones in the center of the resort. No crowds, no noise, available chairs everywhere. Although our stay was quiet, from walking around I can definitely believe that there is a party element to the clientele. Overall the place needs a facelift and restructuring. Moldy smells eminated from some of the hallways, the nearest elevator to our room was a dingy service one, and the restaurants seemed outdated. Got a sweet deal on priceline so I was not too unhappy, but not at all worth the list price of $240 when you have many other nice places to stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank Dignan3432
California
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Great hotel if you are 20-something and looking for a hip hang-out scene. But for our family, with kids ages 10 and 13, it was not the environment we wanted them exposed to. There is a separate "family pool," but it is so close to the main pool that you can hear the loud music and see the scantily clad, tatooed bodies parading around. The chaise lounges are crammed so closetly together, you can hardly get through the pool area, and good luck finding more than two together. The pool area is not particularly pretty either, and the whole place needs sprucing up. Service was awful everywhere, with long waits to place orders, receive food, and get a check. (The Japanese restaurant was the exception.) Our room overlooked a porte cochere area, and noisy people outside awakened us several times during the night. On the plus side, they have a nice 18 hole putting course that is great for the kids, exotic birds in and out of cages all around the property, and other fun activities like bocce ball. My husband enjoyed the golf course, and I took the kids to the nearby Living Desert.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ngf711
San Gabriel Valley
Reviewed April 11, 2010

When we arrived, we knew this hotel is a magnet for college spring breakers. The Oasis pools are overcrowded with teens and college students, most not even staying at the hotel. As much as they want to hold them back, they sneak in.

The main pool, the Oasis is filled with action, but not appropriate for a family with a small children. We spent the first day at this pool, and the service was slow and it was terribly overcrowded. Also, the music was blaring and I felt like I was in Havasu or Daytona beach or something..

WE went back to the room, which was beautiful, and I noticed they had cabanas in the pamphlet. Some of the cabanas were housed in the "Splash Pool". Of the many years I have known about this resort I had no recollection of this pool.

I paid $100 for a 2 person (plenty room for 2 adults and 2 kids) cabana, that comes with tons of snacks, candy, bottled water and incredible service. The Splash pool was 100% classy, calm, and conducive for family. Big enough to know you were at a major resort. Not one group of teens in the entire pool area. No loud music..I felt like I was at a totally different resort, more like Ojai Valley Inn feel. Just a bunch of overweight dads and moms in one-pieces:)...meaning there to relax and have fun with family...

So, with kids, go to the Splash Pool, you wont be disappointed. A little sandy beach, shallow pool, Kids Club, Dipping Dot Stand. Full Bar for Mom and Dad:)

The room was beautiful, the food was fabulous, and the service impeccable. The stores on site are great, spa awesome, gym awesome. I know people talk about outrageous costs, and yes HOTELS have outrageous costs, but it is fair to say relatively speaking the prices for food, drink and services are low here.

Breakfast, get the "stay for breakfast rate" while booking. Kids 12 under eat free. The buffet is amazing.

To top it off, we left a day early, and they did not charge us even though we left late that day. Further, my wife forgot the kids clothes in the drawer, and she called today. The hotel is shipping it to us FREE OF CHARGE!

These folks really get it.

Marriott really has their act together.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank compainer
washington
Reviewed April 10, 2010

OMG ! a place that should offer peace and quiet in the serenity of the desert has become a loud ugly drunken party haven. 12 noon and I am out of meeting and back to room and slide open door to view mountains and take in the air. Pounding beat of Lady Gaga pushed me back. Need to wear a paper bracelet to get into the pool area-ick.Last night had to negotiate throngs of teens and twenty-somethings inthe lobby carrying open beer bottles past security officers who said nothing. Security had already been to another corridor to silence drunken partiers (before 7pm). At night kids squeal in the echogenic pool area (you can hear every word and this is a big hotel). Sweet gaggle of teens playing with their cell phones in a circle in a hallway corridor at least offered to help me find my room (poor signage) at midnight when I arrived. Room service at that time said there would be a 1 hour 15 minute wait for anything to eat! Can feel concrete through the carpets. Towels are thin and smell odd. Fluorescent lights in bathroom eery. Now Justin Timberlake's Get your Sexy Out pounding. Might as well be home driving my teenagers to the mall...What a change from when I was here 10 yrs ago... maybe it's spring break, but do they really want to do this to us travelers who aren't just able to travel and drink till you puke one week a year. Aren't the Marriott's Mormons? OMG! I've turned into a snarky trip advisor poster !!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank NewAcl
Kent
Reviewed April 5, 2010

i know this review is along time after we've been but after reading some of the negative comments i just had to write in. we stayed at 6 hotels in california last year and this was by far the best and the cheapest, we paid £52 per room , which couldn't be faulted. we overlooked a lake and putting green. and part of the car park, but we wasn't there to sit on a balcony all day. the lobby is out of this world, it's the only hotel i've stayed in with boats in the lobby!!. these took you on a free trip around the grounds, and the boat man for want of a better word was friendly and chatty. the pools were very clean, the rooms spacious and all in all we had a fantastic time, i only wish we'd stayed longer instead of the other places on our trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed three niights. I asked for a quiet room at check-in as I am a very light sleeper. I had to wait for my room while my colleagues received theirs right away. It was worth the wait. I heard no outside noises during the night. The room was spacious as was the bathroom. Nice amenities. It's a big place...be prepared to walk. The bird noise was a bit irrating, but not overwhelmingly so. Service at the Oasis was slow and food was only fair. Food served by catering dept for our meeting was very good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!