“Beautiful resort, but would only go again if we got a super cheap rate”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed March 5, 2005

My husband and I read many reviews about the JW Marriott in Desert Springs and were worried about our trip because the reviews were so-so. The hotel room was nice, but not worth as much as we paid. The resort was beautiful, but when sitting by the pool the help is definitely scarce - mind you we were there during the week. I couldn't imagine what a weekend or holiday would be like. When we were at the pool I saw a waiter come by twice within 4 hours so I finally went to the bar to order a drink for my husband and I and the bar tender wouldn't serve me two drinks unless I had my husband's ID. I told him to send someone our way; well about 30 min. later someone shows up to finally help us. Also, the food by the pool is icky and expensive - $11 for a sloppy quesidilla! The restaurants close at 9 pm on the weekdays so we ordered room service - the $18 fruit and cheese platter and the $7 onion rings cost us a total of $38 after all of their fees. I asked what fruit came with the platter but when we got it, it wasn't what they said and the cheese was something I could have boughten at any grocery store.

I had some pastries on the table in our room and the maid threw them out -I was not happy about that because neither of them had been eaten. So from then on we just put the "do not disturb" sign on our door.

The nicest and most helpful guy we spoke to is Barry - he circulates the pool area to see if anyone needs any help with anything such as towels or umbrellas. He told us that during the summer the rooms can be as low as $99 a night.

The shops are very nice, but beware of the Sunglass place. The lady told me how their sunglasses were cheaper than anything around so after I bought a pair and returned home, I found that they actually charge $15-$20 more than the designer's website.

I fell in love with Palm Springs but would probably stay somewhere else if we go back unless I got a really, really good deal at the JW Marriott. I liked the older crowd because it seemed very calm there.

• Stayed: March 2005
13  Thank pajebyenight
Write a ReviewReviews (2,334)

A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2005

Wow, I was interested in booking my Honeymoon with these people but they don't know who handles what. I was interested in a Golf, Spa package that my new wife and I could enjoy. After being bounced around to 3 different people, none of which could answer my questions, I decided to let them off the hook and I will try the folks at La Quinta. They look to have packages that will take my 10,000 dollars I have allocated toward my honeymoon!!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 11, 2005

We had never stayed at a JW Marriott resort and were so looking forward to our first time there after viewing it on the web. We stayed at the Desert Springs Jan 27 thru 30th. Upon entering this resort for the first time you can't help but be thoroughly overwelmed and impressed with the grounds and lobby area. I can't say enough about the staff either, they were all first class. Our big disappointment was our room. Like the other reviews our room was a hike but that wasn't a huge deal to any of us. There was a large group of us and we were all close together. The problem we all had was that we were under the impression that the JW brand was the Flagship of the Marriott chain and as such we expected that not only the grounds but everything else would be first class, the price certainly was. Someone else made the analogy that the rooms were no better than a motel and quite frankly I couldn't have said it better. My wife took one look and wanted to move but I wanted to make the best of it because it was a long hike to get there and I really didn't want to go through it all again. The walls, the carpet, the bedding, the beds all were dated and I really believe that Marriott and especially their Flagship are missing the boat. This place is in need of some serious upgrading. We'll be back to Palm Desert soon but not to the Marriott and especially at the price we paid.

13  Thank Randman
Reviewed February 6, 2005

Be careful, especially if you book on Priceline. We were sent to Siberia, so far from the lobby, I'm sorry I didn't bring my hiking boots.
Our room was clean, but, kind of outdated. I felt like I was in a motel, not a luxury hotel, as I expected.
Our room was lacking the coffee to go with the coffee maker. When it took more than 20 minutes to get the instant coffee to our room, we told them not to bother. They explained our room was "far"....yes, they were correct, the room was really, really far. In fairness, the management offered to change our room, but, the thought of hiking back to the room to change for one night was not worth the effort.

• Stayed: January 2005
12  Thank lynneza
Reviewed February 2, 2005

My first impression of this hotel - is WOW! It's big and very classy looking. The road that takes you to the hotel is lined with palm trees and lights.. very cool. The lobby is huge, very spacious and grand. Our room was very spacious and so was the bathroom. I loved that the shower was separate from the tub. Concierge was awesome.. very helpful and didn't keep us waiting.

The two (minor) negatives that stick out:
1. The location of the room. We had to walk forever just to get to our room since the hotel is so big.
2. The room itself was in decent condition (not great, not bad) but there were a couple of major knicks on the walls that should be taken care of. I don't mind general wear and tear, but housekeeping should notice these kinds of things and let the hotel know about it.

I also wasn't that impressed with the spa facility. It wasn't luxurious or serene.. and the robes were very worn out. The place just needs updating. But the facial I got was AWESOME!

I would recommend this hotel - but if you're looking for a nice luxurious spa, there are probably better ones in Palm Springs.

• Stayed: January 2005
12  Thank lunchtime
Reviewed January 21, 2005

our best vacation yet!! This is our second time visiting this resort and it just keeps getting better! The staff are wonderful, especially philip from the seafood bar, we went there every night of our stay (the best martinis, keep up the excellent work philip). Although the weather was not all that good it did not spoil our stay. We will be back this summer.

8  Thank Pmjb16
A TripAdvisor Member
Sask, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2005

We stayed at this resort Dec 26 - Jan 2. It is beautiful! My husband and I went with our two children. The rooms are spacious and clean. The master bed was very comfortable. The mattress from the pullout couch was not. When you arrive in your condo there is a note on the fridge telling you to keep kitchen clean or.... bugs will arrive. The 2nd day we were there we already had a handful of ants. (we are on the 2nd floor) Maintenance came and sprayed. The next morning I took the kids to one of the many beautiful pools. My husband was late.... more ants came to visit and he stayed to clean them up. He then call maintenance. I returned to our condo to make lunch and I was horrified......my counters were swarming with ants. Maintenance came and sprayed (they forgot earlier). My counters were full of dying ants swimming in pesticide. I was told to go ahead and continue to make lunch because this pesticide is "safe". The maid took a very long time to come and clean it up. Would you make lunch and feed it to your children with this staring at you?
The ant problem continued. The next day the resort called in a professional exterminator. This was not a big deal ...but when you think about how much money you pay to stay there, this is the last thing you want to deal with. The resort did send a small snack basket for my children.
Everybody was always friendly but.... this is the Marriot... a luxary resort. Ants on the 2nd floor do not suddenly appear, this indicates an ongoing problem. I was not pleased that they put people in this room.
Other than the ant problem we enjoyed our stay. The outdoor pools were warm and wonderful to swim in. For New Years they had a fantastic night planned. Great entertainment!.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!