JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Wadsworth, Illinois
“Awsome”
Reviewed February 1, 2009

awsome I loved this place .. awsome rooms and resort. great golf and casinos nearby. great food

• Liked — relaxing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2009

Great resort and super experience.

The staff are amazing and extremely friendly, I was taken aback by every single staff encounter, the front desk staff even greet you while you walk by, and sincerely.

The rooms are very well appointed and comfortable, the bed is fabulous.

The food is good, the restaurant on the water is very good and I had a wonderful steak there, and the wine list is decent.

Recommend this for any type of trip.

• Liked — Amazing service
  • Disliked — Nothing I didn't like
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
us
Reviewed January 16, 2009

My husband and I decided take a short break. We made this decision at the last minute and walked into the Marriott without reservations. We were greeted and treated like royalty. I appreciated the good attitude from the hotel staff. We booked a suite and were upgraded to an executive suite. The room was comfortable, clean and spacious. The balcony was wonderful with outstanding views of the resort and surrounding mountains. We were lucky enough to encounter warm weather in the low 80's. We swam in the nice deep middle pool and enjoyed the boat rides to dinner. The food and drinks were tasty. We will be spending more time at this resort as soon as possible. What a wonderful mid-winter break.

• Liked — pretty grounds/quiet calm surroundings/water features
  • Disliked — resort fee
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Well, I am mixed on my review of the hotel. The grounds are stunning. It is one of the prettier hotels I have ever stayed at.

For our first morning, we had the breakfast buffet. I travel quite a bit and am used to $22+ breakfast buffets being pretty ordinary. I was impressed with the food quality and selection here. We will be here several more days and plan to go back.

The downside here is how they will nickel and dime you to death. $12/day to park. $13/day to use the internet (we just joined Boingo from my phone and are using it for the monthly Boingo fee). An insane $20/day to simply use the gym. 99 cents/minute to use a computer in the business center. Add to that the typical prices of hotel food ($16 for a hamburger) and this is not a resort for anyone on a budget.

Other things that annoyed us include really noisy corridors during the day with housekeepers yelling about minibars and such. The place is huge which means you'll walk a lot. Normally that's not a big deal, but after a long day you want to be in your room, not walking a half mile from the parking lot to get to it. (Of course I could have paid $24 to valet park). The staff is generally ambivalent and sparse (only one person at the desk at 4pm and the elite line closed, are you kidding me?).

Rooms are large for a hotel but nothing amazing. Basics are covered as you would expect from a Marriott.

• Liked — Landscape
  • Disliked — Add on costs every time you turn around.
  • Stayed January 2009
Brea, CA
Reviewed December 1, 2008

After a rocky start with my reservations that cost me over 2 hours on the phone, we arrived at the hotel and had no problems. They upgraded us to a nice view room because it was our anniversary. The upgraded room was less than we expected, but the view was wonderful.

The resort grounds are very nice. The boat rides and exotic birds are nice touches to the resort.

We ate at Mikado and enjoyed an entertaining dinner. The price was not that bad. We were expecting outrageous prices, but they were pretty standard for hotel food, if not a few dollars less. Breakfast was included in our rate and was wonderful. Even though we got ours for free, I would have paid the $22 for the buffet. Fresh fruit was delicious and the choices plentiful.

The hotel itself is a little older property. Not the most luxurious accommodations, but satisfactory. I didn't find anything wrong, everything was clean and kept up, but you could tell it was an older hotel - maybe not OLDER, but not a newer property. No complaints, though.

Overall, we were satisfied with our stay. It was a nice getaway for a night. We will return with our kids, because it seems like a good place for families. They had many activities to do with the kids.

• Liked — Breakfast, upgraded room without asking, boat ride, many dining options to choose from
  • Disliked — mix up with reservations
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed November 16, 2008

nice room...a little bigger than average (but, just a room).

great food...for a large hotel.

nice pool scene...but really expensive.

GREAT golf...right on site. One of the nicest courses I have ever played.

Nice staff...they did what they were trained to do.

Really big place. I was there for a conference. I probably would not book at such a large (or expensive) hotel if I was traveling for pleasure (my room was "average" and over-priced).

Really a beautiful hotel. A true diamond in the desert. I think they survive on people coming for business meetings.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank WWUVIK
Outside Boston
Reviewed November 15, 2008

The Desert Springs Resort & Spa was a wonderful experience. We especially loved how the gondolas come into the hotel and take you to your restaurant or just take a cruise around the hotel.
The room was clean and spacious. The beds were very comfy. The lobby bar was huge and very friendly service.
The hotel food was delicious and plentiful. The views are spectacular. The spa service could have been a little better, as being the first time going to a spa a little more information would have been helpful than just given a robe and sandals (which I was given 2 right feet). Overall an amazing experience!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!