“Take it from someone who lives in Palm Desert, that this is Not the place. My creative mind and diction for fiction couldn't at ”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Palm Desert
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Horrible. Lies, bad service & unwillingness to accept being wrong are the reasons this place gets slammed. It's a Marriott and an old dated one at that. The rooms haven't been remodeled since the 80's, the property is disgusting at best and management doesn't even have a GED mentality. Sorry,but this place will rip you off & laugh while doing it, then call the cops. Like I said, horrible. Don't stay here. Hyatt & Esmerelda much better.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Matthew L
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about our property. The rooms were actually renovated last year, so I’m disappointed to hear you felt they were substandard. We strive to provide a premier luxury experience with top-notch customer service. If there was some way specifically you would like to share with me about why you felt you did not receive value in your stay, please call me at 760-862-1586. We continually look to serve both locals and visitors with the best possible experience in hospitality, spa services and dining!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Korean first
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Loved the place from the moment we pulled in. The entire staff, and we mean entire staff, was professional yet so friendly. Check in was great. We golfed, enjoyed the pool and lots of quiet time relaxing in the gorgeous Lobby Bar. Beautiful place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arizona828
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This property used to be grand. Location awesome, grounds nice. Many restaurants. Used to be the grand dame of Palm Springs, now is getting very old. Needs a facelift, some implants and lots of service.
Stayed there over the Memorial Day weekend and I would say that service was lacking big time. On a busy weekend service was absent

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TonicTravelAmeniti
Thank you for taking time to review your stay at our property. The resort underwent a $25 million renovation last year, so I am sorry to hear you felt it is outdated. As a Senior Contributor with TripAdvisor, we know you are a seasoned traveler and appreciate your feedback. Customer service is at the core of the JW Marriott brand, so your experience certainly is atypical of what we strive to offer our guests. If you wish to further discuss your experience, please do not hesitate to call me at 760-862-1586. We hope to welcome you back sometime and offer you the type of 5-star experience we are known for in the near future!
San Clemente, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

My experience appears very similar to the CBNtraveler "Hook-up Central" review. I went to the Marriott with a friend expecting a quiet weekend by the pool. It took us 15 minutes to get from our car to the room.....this is a big hotel. So if you intend to stay here be ready for long walks or use the valet parking. The pool is far too small to accomodate the guests. We were unable to even get into the pool as there was no room to either put our towels on a chair or to enter the water.
The hotel guests were mainly made up of bachelor and bachelorette parties, swingers and families with little kids. It soon became obvious that many of the guests were either drunk or getting there and trying to pair off with partners. This made for a very noisy and chaotic night with mayhem all around.
So, despite the hotel's best efforts at good service, beautiful hotel grounds and pleasant food I would not return to this Marriott as this did not make up for the general mayhem and drunken chaos generated by the party animal hotel guests during my stay there.
The bottom line is - If you want to drink, play around and get crazy with a lot of other party animals then this is the place for you. If you want a quiet weekend by the pool then go to a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephen E
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our resort. As a TripAdvisor Senior Contributor, we understand you are a seasoned traveler and appreciate your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear you did not have a positive poolside experience. We do have additional pools on property, and should we have the opportunity in the future, we hope to show you that we have other pool experiences that are more serene in nature. I look forward to the prospect of hosting you again, and if you wish to further discuss your stay, please do not hesitate to contact me at 760.862.1586!
Washington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

As platinum members, we have stayed at many Marriotts worldwide. The hotel was nice but there were issues. We felt like it was a frat house party that lasted all weekend. We opted for a pool/ golf view with a king-sized bed and a queen sofa sleeper. We also went for a spa day. Had the dinner buffet at the grill.

Pros:
Service was excellent (valet, reception desk, room service, housekeeping, pool staff)
Grounds are gorgeous...bunnies, flamingoes, swans, ducks and fish everywhere
Rooms were nice enough, and we had a beautiful view
Beautiful spa, excellent service, quiet spa pool
Great fitness center for a hotel
Dinner buffet was good...limited dinner items, excellent dessert selections

Cons
Hotel is extremely large, and we had quite a hike to our room
It was hook-up central on our floor and in the pool...people swapping rooms...the pool was full of 20 somethings trying to pick each other up
Pool was wall to wall people; literally standing room only
Booze and flotation devices allowed in pool, so you were getting bumped by people on rafts
Difficult to find lounge chairs, umbrellas
People stealing items from lounge chairs (yes, a young couple was rummaging through our bag and took my son's Ray Bans. We saw them, jumped out of the pool, and my son had to chase them down to get them back.)
Pool noise could be heard in our room on the 4th floor
People making noise and drinking in the hallways

Room Tip: Pool views are excellent but noise from the pool can be heard during operating hours.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CBNtraveler
Thank you for taking time to share both the pros and cons of your stay at our resort. We welcome any and all feedback in our quest to continually provide an outstanding experience at our resort. I am pleased you felt you received excellent customer service, as that is a core value of the JW brand and something we strive for in every aspect with our guests. Summertime is definitely a time when people frequent our resort for poolside fun, but we never like to hear that our guests felt the safety of their belongings was compromised at the pool so I will certainly discuss your concerns with security. If you wish to further discuss your experience, please do not hesitate to call me at 760-862-1586. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The service was fantastic! The housekeeping was excellent and the pool was fabulous! Will definitely come again! The lady in the main lobby NICOLE was very nice and she deserves a 10 on her customer service! Theres a bartender In the main lobby bar by the name of REY.. The guy was very nice and went beyond to make us a burger that was not even on the menu! The burger turned out delicious and he really showed a high level of customer service!! The housekeeping was great and definitely deserves a 10... Thank You SOPHIA!! Will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed June 2013
Diamond Bar, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

My stay at JW Marriott Desert Spring this last Saturday (June 22nd, 2013) was on the list of my worst hotel experiences. My guest and I went through a total of 3 rooms. The first one on the 8th floor was not made up when we walked in: used plastic cup on the bed side table, toilet paper with stripped edge along with used towels and soap in the bathroom and the bed was obviously used, etc. After my long trip down to the lobby and back to the 8th floor room to get my luggages, my guest and I walked a very long way to the 2nd room located on the 4th floor only to find worse. The AC shroud coming off the wall showed an old room with inadequate maintenance for a JW Marriott. The very worst part was when I lifted the toilet seat lid to find a filthy toilet with dark water (and more) and a rim of filthy built-up. This time we grabbed our luggages and went straight down to the check-in area. I asked to speak to a manager but the same reception staff came out. She apologized and said they would give me some Marriott reward points which I have not yet seen on my account. She was only able to offer me 2 rooms to choose from and I picked the one that was closer to the lobby because I was too tired of walking around. The 3rd room had a non-functional TV and a leaking shower head. The lack of robes and luggage rack was later explained at check-out being normal for an accessible room. Wrapping up my miserable stay at this hotel was the staff almost walking in on me when I just got out of shower and wrapped in a towel. The staff was very apologetic and did knock on the door before opening it but I did not get a chance to respond yet. I did not want to blame the staff and cause the staff any trouble. All in all, I can not believe this is a JW Marriott! Extremely disappointed and much of my valuable vacation time wasted when I could be using the amenities I paid for instead.

Room Tip: Rooms near the center courtyard get more noises.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rose C
Thank you for taking time to review your recent experience at our resort, as we appreciate any and all feedback in order to learn about areas that require improvement. Please accept my sincere apologies that you had so many disappointments with your room accommodations. We work hard to provide a premier luxury resort experience, and what you encountered is atypical of what we strive to offer our guests. If you wish to further discuss your experience, please do not hesitate to call me at 760-862-1586. We hope to welcome you back and offer you the type of 5-star experience we are known for in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!