“Big hotel, nice grounds” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 NIGHTLY RESORT CREDIT
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Vancouver
“Big hotel, nice grounds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

A nice hotel, but really, really big, which has it's drawbacks. While it's been renovated, it still has many older attributes. As many other posters have commented, there is only one elevator for each wing, which means a very long walk each time you leave/go to your room. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, which is a plus.

There's a huge pool area with three pools and two hot tubs. But there are also a lot of guests (1,000 rooms?), so it gets really full on the weekends! It's not really a relaxing spot b/c of kids playing in the pools, music being pumped around, etc.

Hotel rooms are very spacious, but the walk-in shower was really small. I imagine it would be a tight squeeze for most men. Rooms have large balcony's, so try to get one that faces south or west to take advantage of the sun.

Note: there's also a $27/night resort fee for parking/wireless internet/fitness access.We enjoyed playing on the 18-hole putting course, which is also included.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the large balcony's by requesting/booking a room that faces south or west for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ihearttravel30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a nice hotel on a beautiful site, however it's a large resort and it feels like a Marriott not a JW. If I was JW Marriott, I would reconsider the designation.

This was not our best travel experience and frankly one that should be shared. We checked in after dinner. We were asked if we wanted a king or two queens. We choose the king room.

We had to walk to the other end of the hotel for our room. It was a long walk. My wife reminded me we would be in the gym early the next morning and to stop griping about the walk. She was correct.

It was 10 PM. We arrived in our room, it was a comfortable size with king bed, couch , desk and a nice bathroom in the typical Marriott decor. We up packed, prepared for bed and laid down. When we settled we heard this thumping and music. I called the front desk and was told we were over the night club - room 4210 for all who are interested.

What I did not appreciate was when the young lady in the phone told me that they were almost full and because I wanted a king bed, that was all they had and so that is what I got. She positioned it as thought it was my fault.

I responded with why do you not ask your customers if it will be ok to be over the loud night club. Given a choice between a king over the night club or a queen I would have chosen the Queen room. She asked if she could give me some bonus Marriott points and I said no. The she asked if I wanted to move. It was not a comforting call so I hung up.

Still upset, I called the manager on duty. We renegotiated the rate and I wanted the option to move if I could not sleep. He agreed in full. It took the night manager to resolve my issue.

Fortunately I was exhausted, fell asleep quickly and frankly only remember waking a couple of times as the music volume increased. Frankly I had a pretty good nights sleep.

We woke in the morning, had coffee at Starbucks, worked out in their very nice gym and left.

I prefer smaller hotels for short and business stays. Resort hotels are best to enjoy.

Oh by the way. They charge you a $27 resort fee per day which does not include valet parking. Again, had we not used the gym I would have felt coerced into a fee which didn't apply to my visit.

Room Tip: You are going to need a taxi to get to many rooms at this place. If you don't want to walk a mi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our resort. I’m sorry it took several efforts for you to get this issue resolved, as that is not the JW Marriott standard.

I hope that you will visit us again soon so that we can make sure that you have a GREAT experience.

If you have the time and would like to discuss your stay with us directly, please do not hesitate to contact us at 760-862-1586.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

The service is amazing here. Every employee I interacted with was very helpful and professional. There are plenty of dining options, both on the property and in the surrounding areas. Room service was tasty as well. There are activities thoughout the day, such as golf and lawn sports. Many of the guests are retired and enjoying a relaxing vacation. The only negative was the layout of the rooms. The noise from the lobby bar is heard from the rooms that surround the center lobby. There are also birds kept in the lobby which at times are noisy. Overall, I surely recommend this resort!

• Stayed February 2013
Pollock Pines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have not stayed the night here as of yet, which I believe makes this review even better. I had a lumcheon meeting here several times. The beauty is breathe taking and the service is off the charts, Thank you Marriott so much, I will be back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Been twice to this hotel in Palm Springs. Good hotel would recommend and would go back again. Stayed in a Suite for 5 days twice...
Drove from LA . Don't think there's any other way to get to Palm Springs got to be quicker than Flying from LAX.
Good Golf Course on Complex that friends enjoyed was too hot for me to play Golf 3rd time in Palm Springs in August though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Murrieta, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently stayed at this property for a guys golf weekend. Hotel rooms were very nice and even the "basic" room was large and well appointed. There are two golf courses attached to this resort and both are very good. Although "resort" courses both provided enough challenge to be really fun. Choice of restaurants was a little limited. Also, there are NO vending machines on any of the floors. If you want a late night soda or snack only choice is very expensive room service or the hotel gift shop.....a LONG walk away.

Room Tip: Request a room near the elevators. Rooms at end of hall are a LONG walk away. I actually passed 3...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked a room here through Priceline Name Your Own Price. They did not honor the price I named, but charged a mandatory $27 per night "resort fee" for amenities I did not use. This should have been included in the price of the room, since you cannot get out of it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!