“A nice hotel for a business trip”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Centurion, South Africa
“A nice hotel for a business trip”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a week during a business conference. We were over 1000 people, and it seemed as if the hotel was fully booked, which is always positive.
On arrival, the check-in staff were extremely friendly and made sure that our check-in was as simple as possible.
We had a room with 2 doubles in it (We share with other colleagues during the conference), and the room was not at all small and had a small balcony with a great view of the swimming pools and what looked like a gold course.

We eat there fairly often, and all in all, both the breakfasts as well as the room service was always good. obviously things at conferences can get a bit raucous, and the bar did not have enough people to be able to handle the volume of people there.

There is not free internet nor free water. What I would do is to make sure that you drink the "correct" water if you get the "all-inclusive internet etc. option). We drank the Fuji water which was apparently not included in the fee we paid, so just watch out. This may be just for the conference, but i would watch out either way as we ended up with almost $75 just for water.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago, and was hesitant to return, but this is where a major conference was held that I was attending, so I wanted to be on site. I have to say the service and rooms overall have come a long way.

Great standard room with the very comfortable Marriott beds (and lots of pillows, thank you!), a roomy balcony, ample towels in the bath, and plenty of outlets for gadgets. If you're looking for a full-service resort where you really almost don't have to leave for a few days, this is it. There are several restaurants, shops, pools, and things to do. Great fitness center. (Note: You do have to pay the resort fee to have access to fitness center, internet, etc. but it's worth it.)

The service overall from hotel staff was wonderful. Super check-in experience. Anything we needed was brought up to the room in a flash. Bell staff was on top of everything. And the waitstaff at the pool were great as well.

The food was OK; not great. The only restaurant where the service was terrible was the main grill downstairs. We had lunch and the food was "meh", and while there seemed to be plenty of staff they never came around. We asked for a wine list and they never came back to take our order! Lost money on us for sure.

I had my hair blown out twice at the salon and Jessica was fantastic.

The spa is... OK. Facilities are fine, but I had two massages there that were not worth the price. One was mediocre, and the other was just horrible (and you have to try pretty hard to give a bad massage). I heard more than once from other event attendees that their massages were not up to par as well.

So overall I would stay here again; just being aware of the pros and cons.

Room Tip: This resort is huge so if you don't want to walk a mile to your room, ask for something near the...
RI
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I attended a conference at this hotel and was very impressed with the whole resort. The indoor pond with boat rides seemed really cool (I didn't go for a ride) the pools are awesome and the hotel itself was very nice. The open atmosphere a few steps down from the lobby provides a sushi bar and cocktail bar which is a really cool concept. The Sushi was awesome and so were the cocktails. I would definitely return with my family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Glencoe, Illinois
Reviewed November 18, 2012

On a night when the hotel was sold out, there was only one person working the check-in desk. Even though there were only 3 people ahead of me, the process took 20 minutes to complete. the biggest problem was the "offer" of a $48 resort charge took a lot of time to "Upsell" the customers.

As I was there for only 10 hours and was using the hotel as a hotel and not a resort, it took me some time to not have to pay the absurd fee.

1 Thank Hal S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stay at this hotel at least 3 times a year and love the ambience here. The resort is an oasis in the middle of Palm Desert. Great pools, great food and excellent staff. Stay near the golf course for a quieter time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I recently visited this hotel for a sales conference that I attended and was there for 4 nights. I normally do not like staying in large chain hotels as they normally lack personality but this hotel was pretty good. Excellent general areas and rooms were large enough and in decent shape and better than I read on previous reviews.

Staff were also helpful and attentive. Starbucks onsite also which was useful to get you through a few days of work. Overall a decent hotel and if reasonably priced, worth a stay.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

After a week at the Marriot Ko Olina resort in Hawaii I was thrilled that there was another similar resort in CA, but I was very mistaken. The service was okay but the moment my wife and I walked into the room a ROACH scurried away (which I have a pic of if you are interested in that sort of thing) and I had to find it and kill it especially if I was going to have any type of good weekend with my bud adverse wife. We called the front desk and they treated us like crap and sent a maintenance guy up to kill it. We weren't looking for a room upgrade just a different room and they weren't willing to provide that. This was a terrible and disgusting experience and we won't be staying there again. Also, my wife found another dead roach in the bathroom. Gross!!!!

Room Tip: stay at another hotel instead or try homeaway.com.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!