JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
Embarc Palm Desert(Palm Desert)
  • Pool
Residence Inn Palm Desert(Palm Desert)
View Hotel
Courtyard Palm Desert(Palm Desert)
2,417 results
All reviewsrockwood grilllobby barsushi bargolf courseboat rideexotic birdsself parkingpink flamingosbusiness conferencefisherman's landingpalm springsdesert springsmini golfpool areabeautiful groundsfitness centerspring break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2007

My principal concerns when rating a hotel is the comfort of the bed and how quiet the room is. Convenience, service, and appearance of the hotel are far less important.

However, the JW in Palm Desert scores low on almost all of these measures.

First, unlike most Marriott properties, the JW has NOT upgraded to the new Marriott pillow-top mattresses. The new Marriott pillow-top mattress are extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, this property is still using old, hard mattresses, with separate pillow-top thrown on top. While they are better than nothing, they are a poor substitute. Since Marriott is advertising that all of its resort properties have the new mattresses and this one does not, Marriott is not being honest with its customers.

Second, the rooms at this resort are not well-insulated from the hallways or the other rooms. While I was trying to sleep, I was awoken several times by outside noises, including the sound of people having sex in the next room and numerous people talking in the hallways.

Third, the layout of the hotel is such that very few rooms are actually convenient to the parking lots. Even worse, the elevator nearest our room was out of service, but there were no notices advising us of that fact until we walked all the way down to it.

Fourth, the service was mediocre. When I checked in, I asked to change the rate to a "breakfast included" rate, but the manager who helped me claimed that it was not possible to make any changes to the rate on the date of arrival. I already knew this was untrue and ultimately got someone to do it, but the manager should have known...

Finally, the appearance of the building was very disappointing. Setting aside the issue of style (the hotel is fairly bland in design), the structure in the hotel was very worn. For instance, the floor tiles and doors throughout the hotel were scratched and scuffed. In our room, the crown nolding was separating at one spot. The natural stone in the bathroom had not been sealed in a long time and had faded.

On the plus side, the room AC worked well and was very quiet. Also, the bedding (sheets, pillows, etc.) was clean, new, and in good condition.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank consumerlaw
Reviewed November 2, 2007

Hotel recently renovated their lobby/public space. Guest rooms and hallways were in need of a redue and looked dated. Great variety of restaurants, we liked the sushi at the lobby bar. Pools were open late. This hotel does not represent the marriott JW brands, this is more of a full service marriott. They also add on a $20 resort fee that includes bottled water, parking and internet - this is a good value if you take advantage of all included.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank yahootraveler
Reviewed October 28, 2007

My company held a recent meeting at this hotel. I was pleased with my room and my experience. This resort is quite large; I had to stop for directions on the way to my room. Our rooms were $199 each when booked as a group. There was also an optional $20 resort fee for high speed Internet, 2 bottles of water and turn down service. My room was very nice and was well stocked with bathrobes, nice toiletries, a mini-bar, good magazines, etc. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower and featured natural stone tiles. The linens and bed were soft and comfortable. My room had a nice deck with 4-person table and chase lounge that overlooked the golf course. All in all I was happy with my stay, and the $199 price was a good value in this market. I didn't have time to use the pools but they looked great and there were ponds, fountains and birds (swans, flamingos & ducks) throughout the property. Those that ate at the resort reported that the food was good at the Japanese steak house. I went downtown for a date shake instead.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank BusinessGirlOnTheGo
Reviewed October 21, 2007

I have stayed in over a dozen Marriott hotels and one thing I found in common was they all had impressive lobbies and not so great rooms.
We tried 3 different rooms, just to go from bad to worse. All rooms were too small, furniture too old and boring, lightning inadequate, bathrooms not as good or clean as they should be.

Frontdesk people were not as friendly as you would expect, so was the case with vallet staff.
There was another family who had the same troubles as we did at check-in.

I absolutely do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank amuzed2death
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We were passing through Palm Springs during our honeymoon on our way to San Diego and we stopped into this resort on the way through, we liked it so much, we decided to stay for 2 nights. I was really impressed w/ the lobby atrium and pool area. This is a very large resort and we found the grounds to be beautiful (w/ plenty of birds and bunnies) and the staff to be friendly. We had dinner one night at the Italian restaurant on site and enjoyed sitting outside by the fires w/ a cocktail afterwards. Very romantic. Also, the lobby bar in the hotel atrium was quite busy and entertaining as well, plenty of TVs around too to check out the sports on. The front desk clerk even upgraded us to one of their executive suites, since it was our honeymoon. All in all, we thought this was a nice place to hang out in the middle of the desert, everything was very green and the resort is surrounded by their golf course. Would definately go back someday!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business