“The bad, good and amazing customer service!”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I stayed her Sept 29-Oct 2. The main building is under renovation!!! I asked upon check in for a quite room. That is always my only request. Hotels have my "loyalty" account number before I even check in so they know my preferences. The very nice reception person put me in room 8140. She told me that this room had been renovated and had the new wi-fi. It's right in the main building (with the bar). I asked if I would be hearing bar noise and she assured me that I wouldn't. So I headed upstairs sort of excited to be in one of the new rooms. The room was nice and the bath was great. I love a separate tub & shower. All was fine until bedtime. This was a working trip so I headed to bed around 10:30. I will spare the details, but the bar noise kept meup until approx 12:30. I was not happy. Especially since I specifically asked about. But I slept well after that. Until morning...when I was awoken by hammering and drilling. It was enough to wake me up but not horrible. Sounded like they were hanging pictures in the room next door. Went on like that for a bit and then the REAL construction started. OMG---total construction noise in my room. I called down and asked to be switched. They told me that they were full but would see what they could do. I went down to complain after I was dressed. They moved me.
Now I was in room 7091. Loved it! Very large room with huge bath and walk in closet! I actually didn't need all this room. I only cared about quite. And I got that. I never heard anything. (Except a couple fighting as they walked back to their room one night--it was brief.)
I received mutliple calls making sure that I was okay in my new room. They even offered to change me to a quieter room if I preferred. I was very happy so didn't move again.
My family joined me on this trip. The hotel turned on the tennis court lights on for my daughter at 9:00 at night. That was terrific.
Beds were comfortable. (They tell you doubles are oversized and more like queens...they are the size of a double bed.) A/C seemed to not work on the control in the rooms. Both rooms never quite cooled down well even though the fan stopped blowing like it had reached temperature. But it was 103 outside so that may have been an issue. Bathroom was great, including lighting.
I've stayed here before...and I would stay again. Just not in the main building!

Room Tip: Room 8140 has bar noise until late at night!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank lovingsonoma

Reviewed October 6, 2011

That is a big claim and not one I make lightly. I in fact stayed at this hotel in July 2010 on Business and liked it so much that I bought the family back for a holiday in Oct 2011. Quite a feat as we live in Sydney Australia. The weather plays a big part. It is just about guaranteed to be warm. During the drive from LA our family (me, wife, 9yo & 5yo) watched at the temperature gauge steadily climb from 67 to 104 during the two hour drive. I strongly recommenced making the drive from LA outside of peak hour. This makes the trip 2 hours instead of 4.

The hotel is fantastic and I am sure you can check out the website to see all the pics. This must be one of the few hotels that has a boat dock in the foyer offering tours of the property.

The 7 pools are excellent. We both had a massage at the Spa which was great. The hotel charges a resort fee of about $25 a day which covers gym, newspaper, WiFi & self parking which I found quite reasonable. I played a round of golf which if you hit off after 3pm is only about $35.

As we were there in super low season (the resort was only about 20% full) they were not doing buffet breakfast on weekdays which was a little annoying our family love this form of breakfast. Breakfast food was of suitable quality but the dinner menu range and subsequent quality was very disappointing, so much so that for the next three nights we drove to nearby restaurants.

Food aside this is an excellent resort and one I would thoroughly recommend it for a family holiday in the sun.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. They have just started to roll out these new rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank FamilyGuy2000
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I think the hotel is way overpriced, Not worth $700 for 3 days. First of all, the rooms and the hotel itself are not updated. Old couches, old furniture, wall paper sticking out, old carpet. Secondly, witnessed a disgusting picture: One night I was working on my computer when noticed that cockroaches started to come out of the furniture to eat couple cereal pieces dropped on the floor. Extremely unhappy, I came to the reception and it seemed like they were not surpriced. I was travelling with my baby and honestly was afraid for her getting sick from the unsanitary conditions of the room. The Pool and Lake were great but useless if you dont enjoy the room and service.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Ksenia_KV
Reviewed October 5, 2011

The entire 5th floor is under going remodeling. The staff should have warned me and let me know the workers start at 7am. I'm here to relax and sleep in. So I call and they tell me there is nothing they can do. I was shocked that they didn't offer something ......change rooms, savings on room or how about a free breakfast. Nothing could be done except wake up early to construction.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Although we were only here 2 days we'd a room over the entrance 7 floors up but it was noisy. They are renovating the rooms floor by floor - unfortunately we were on the 7th and they were doing the 6th - we arrived to hammering below us which stopped at 5pm but wasn't good if you wanted to chill out in your room in the afternoon. Pool area was great - although the music got annoying, there are shops on site and the golf course is amazing but tough, there are shops on site and the lobby is gob smacking! This place is vast the grounds are amazing there's a small shopping area outside the grounds which is within walking distance, and the staff are really helpful. So despite the annoyance of the builders if ours was anything to go by I'm sure the rooms will be fabulous when theyre done. Overall an excellent stay - the guys on the door were the most helpful, the staff in the shops here the least - but I suspect they get loads of browsers and few people buy perhaps a smile or a simple welcome would make shoppers feel like opening their purses...?

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We visited this hotel occasionally for quick getaways occasionally over the past dozen years. The best things about the resort are the extensive, lushly landscaped tropical grounds and the huge pool areas. The hotel was renovated about 4 years ago, but public areas of the building just don't seem to be quite up to the JW badge for Marriott. Our room was nice enough but not as nice as we've had at other Marriott resorts. If you get view room here you will love the pool, lake and mountain views, but if you don't get a view room, expect to be looking at roof tops and parking lots.

Check in was easy and efficient, but not overly friendly and my request for a late checkout was given a bit grudgingly (it should be automatic for a Marriott Elite member).

One thing that bothered me on this visit was a feeling of being nickeled--and-dimed. The hotel charges a "resort fee" which pays for things you would expect to be included at a resort. You are not allowed to bring any food or drinks into the pool area and there was a checkpoint to go through as you enter the main pool area. Our rate included a "resort credit" but I was told we could not use it for alcoholic beverages (this was not included in the rate rules when I booked). None of this is a big deal, but it was annoying.

We had a breakfast buffet at the main restaurant and the food was quite good, as was the service. The main pool area can be very busy on weekends, but the smaller "Springs" pool is away from the main area and it is a nice quite refuge. We used the fitness center next to the spa, and the facilities were excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for 1 night courtesy of his job for the company Christmas party. The outside doesn't look that impressive, although you can tell it is a huge hotel. Once you enter it actually looks very nice. They had a big Christmas tree & very nice holiday decor throughout so that may have helped. Check in was fast, our room & bathroom was very spacious, upgraded, flat screen tv with a comfortable bed. Overall it was a nice, comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!