“Large resort, nice room”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Minneapolis
“Large resort, nice room”
Reviewed October 28, 2007

My company held a recent meeting at this hotel. I was pleased with my room and my experience. This resort is quite large; I had to stop for directions on the way to my room. Our rooms were $199 each when booked as a group. There was also an optional $20 resort fee for high speed Internet, 2 bottles of water and turn down service. My room was very nice and was well stocked with bathrobes, nice toiletries, a mini-bar, good magazines, etc. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower and featured natural stone tiles. The linens and bed were soft and comfortable. My room had a nice deck with 4-person table and chase lounge that overlooked the golf course. All in all I was happy with my stay, and the $199 price was a good value in this market. I didn't have time to use the pools but they looked great and there were ponds, fountains and birds (swans, flamingos & ducks) throughout the property. Those that ate at the resort reported that the food was good at the Japanese steak house. I went downtown for a date shake instead.

• Liked — Nice rooms, big resort, very self contained...you don't have to leave
  • Disliked — Quite a drive from dowtown Palm Springs
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank BusinessGirlOnTheGo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Korean first
Orange, California
Reviewed October 21, 2007

I have stayed in over a dozen Marriott hotels and one thing I found in common was they all had impressive lobbies and not so great rooms.
We tried 3 different rooms, just to go from bad to worse. All rooms were too small, furniture too old and boring, lightning inadequate, bathrooms not as good or clean as they should be.

Frontdesk people were not as friendly as you would expect, so was the case with vallet staff.
There was another family who had the same troubles as we did at check-in.

I absolutely do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2006
3 Thank amuzed2death
Portland, ME
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We were passing through Palm Springs during our honeymoon on our way to San Diego and we stopped into this resort on the way through, we liked it so much, we decided to stay for 2 nights. I was really impressed w/ the lobby atrium and pool area. This is a very large resort and we found the grounds to be beautiful (w/ plenty of birds and bunnies) and the staff to be friendly. We had dinner one night at the Italian restaurant on site and enjoyed sitting outside by the fires w/ a cocktail afterwards. Very romantic. Also, the lobby bar in the hotel atrium was quite busy and entertaining as well, plenty of TVs around too to check out the sports on. The front desk clerk even upgraded us to one of their executive suites, since it was our honeymoon. All in all, we thought this was a nice place to hang out in the middle of the desert, everything was very green and the resort is surrounded by their golf course. Would definately go back someday!!!

• Liked — Nice Pool Area, Good Restaurants
  • Disliked — They Charge for Parking?
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank mainetoday
California
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I love love love the Desert Springs hotel. I've been coming here ever since it opened up(about 20+ years) and saw the new changes they did to the lobby which is gorgeous. Check in was a breeze and after checking into our room we headed down to the sushi bar in the lobby. Can we say scrumptious? Yum! Yum!. The pool grounds were amazing with 4 pools to choose from although they needed more security for those lazy butts that leave their towels on their chairs and don't come down until hours later. The grounds were well kept and i loved all the different animals around the hotel such as flamingo's, ducks, swans, parrots and fishes. it is a well relaxed area and you feel like your treated like royalty. the resturants are also very good.for a relaxing/romantic getaway this is a place for you or even for the kids.

• Liked — the sunset and sunrises
  • Disliked — the expensive valet although the valet drivers were super nice
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Krazygirl
Dana Point, CA
Reviewed October 1, 2007

This is a great hotel for people of all ages. Activities for everyone, beautiful scenery, very helpful and friendly staff, clean facilities, delicious food, etc, etc, etc. The 6 restaraunts provide a great variety of choices with good pricing options. Opt of the Lake View Sunday buffet over the Sea Grille and save yourself $20 a person. There is even great nightlife within the resort. Ask for a room facing the west (pool and mountains), it is well worth it. Make sure to take the gondola to your dinner reservation.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Scottruff
San Diego
Reviewed September 27, 2007

I booked this hotel for my husband and myself for a getaway golf weekend without the kids. Having never stayed at this property before, we had no idea it was going to be so loud at night. Beyond the exceedingly high noise level from the club until 2:00 a.m., it was an enjoyable stay, but it is definitely no Hyatt Grand Champions (my first recommendation to anyone visiting this area). My husband enjoyed the golf courses, and the convenience of the on-site restaurants is a plus. If you want to party and dance and see and be seen at the pool and in the club, this is the hotel for you (although service around the pool was slow, taking almost 45 minutes to receive one drink). If you want a quiet and relaxing get-away for romance or your family, I would probably look elsewhere. The resort fee and the parking fees are absurd, but it seems to be the norm nowawadays. I believe you get what you pay for, but I certainly would not choose this hotel again unless I got a serious price break. Oh, and the gondola has a motor on it, in case you had visions of a romantic serenading gondolier. It is instead a speedy, mess-up-your-hair kind of ride. Not exactly the perfect, romantic weekend getaway I had been hoping for but nothing to really complain too much about either.

• Liked — on-site restaurants and golf
  • Disliked — small rooms and shower enclosures
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CRTRPTR1
Newark
Reviewed September 25, 2007

We stayed at the Desert Springs from September 15 - 18 for a buyers' group meeting/convention. I had read the reviews on the property before we arrived just to see what to expect. There is a night and day difference between what occurs Saturday/ Sunday and weekdays at this place! A family with young children should steer clear on the weekends - they are pretty wild - especially in the pool area. Everyone has a right to a good time but the Marriott needs to set some kind of rules for activities in the pool just for safety's sake. There are no lifeguards and I saw a small child swamped by 2 guys playing football in the pool on Sunday. In contrast the weekdays were more low-key and pleasant everywhere in the hotel.
I don't understand the reviews that mentioned the hotel is showing its age - our room was spacious and beautiful. Right, the TV is not flat-screen but the views from the balcony more then make up for it. The bathroom has a tub and a shower and is very large. If you rent a car you might as well pay the $20/day resort fee since self-park is $11/day anyway and it's included in the resort fee. My husband and son used the fitness center and said it was OK.
Food at breakfast and lunch and the evening reception for the convention was very good. However we ate at Lakeside one night and, although we sat outside and the view was beautiful, we did not care for the entrees we had - everything seemed very 'heavy.'
Everyone we came in contact with on the staff was pleasant.
Since we live on the East coast we would never go back just for a vacation but if the convention is ever held there again we will certainly attend.

• Liked — the beautiful views from the balcony
  • Disliked — crazy pool scene on the weekend
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!