“Not for the intermediate MTB'er”
Review of Big Wheel Tours

Big Wheel Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We provide customized guided Bicycle, Jeep, and Hiking tours of the greater Palm Springs area. Bicycle rentals also available. Come with us to explore Joshua Tree National Park, the San Andreas Fault, the Indian Canyons or any of the other beautiful natural places in the Coachella Valley. Each tour is personalized to suit your group's needs and interests. Outstanding guides, small groups, and customized service are our trademarks. We also carry a full range of bicycles for rent from Benno Cruiser bicycles to full suspension mountain bikes to battery powered ebikes. With over 400 bicycles in our fleet we are sure to have what you are looking for. Conveniently located on the corner of South Palm Canyon Drive and Avenida Olancha. For over 20 years we have been the Palm Springs Outdoor Adventure Company!
Reviewed April 5, 2017 via mobile

I was very disappointed in this tour company, we visited after reading the reviews. They talked down another local bike shop. And upon looking at the rental bikes we found very beginner Mountain bikes (and box store bikes). Their bikes had kick stands...if that works for you. Their tour sounded decent enough and if you are a new/or non rider this would work for you. On inspection of the kids bikes the spring shocks were very loose and not very sound .... we didn't bother checking out the adult bikes the brand had us walking. If you are a intermediate rider I suggest you check out other bike shops.

Evan T, Owner at Big Wheel Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2017

Hello Leanne,

Yes, I do remember your family's visit to our shop.

You are correct, the kids bikes that we carry are not super high end since we don't have much demand for high end mountain bikes for kids. And I apologize if one of my staff spoke poorly of another shop, I do not tolerate that.

At any rate, I hope that you were able to find what you were looking for at one of the other shops in town and got out to enjoy our local trails.

All the best,

"down hill"
in 6 reviews
"mountain biking"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend it for all ages"
"off roading"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 31, 2017

We had considered doing this bike ride but put off making reservations until it was too late to do so online. But we called first thing in the morning and fortunately they were able to accommodate us for the afternoon ride. So bonus points for being flexible!

We arrived at the meeting point in Palm Desert and the van with the bike trailer showed up just a few minutes later, followed shortly by the other support vehicle. Again, points for being on time. There were nine in our group so three of us rode in the support vehicle while the others rode in the van. As we drove toward the starting point our guide pointed out a lot of the geographical features of the area and told us a bit about the native flora as well as about the agriculture in the area. It took about 30 minutes to reach the drop-off point.

The bikes were unloaded and everyone was supplied with a water bottle and a helmet in addition to the bike. Then we were pointed in the correct direction and off we went. The support vehicle went down the road quite a ways while the van stayed behind us.

My first thought was "I thought this was supposed to be downhill" because it didn't appear to be that way. But once I got used to being on a bike again I realized it was ever-so-slightly downhill and/or flat for 99% of our ride. Even though it was 20 miles of riding, my legs were not sore the next day. (My seat was, but that's a different issue!)

Just over halfway through the ride, everyone stops and more water is dispensed along with some snacks for energy. It wasn't particularly hot on the day we rode but I wished I'd had my Camelbak because trying to retrieve & open a bottle of water while biking was not easy.

I asked if it ever got too hot to ride and the guide said no but I can't imagine doing this ride if the temp is above the mid-80s F. The near-constant breeze certainly helped but there is no shade anywhere. The good news is that if you do overheat, the van is right behind you and you can put your bike in the trailer and finish the ride in air conditioned comfort.

After the ride was over we wound our way through several of the small towns in the area and stopped at a date farm. I'd never had date ice cream (included with the package) but it was delicious and really hit the spot.

The guide in the lead car often stopped to take photos of everyone as they passed by. I expected to get a sales pitch to buy these at the end of the trip but they were actually included in the package and later that night we received a link via email where we could download the photos. I thought that was terrific.

From what I could tell these folks run a first-rate operation and I would definitely consider doing this or another activity with them again.

Reviewed March 31, 2017 via mobile

Great time, Ron is great source of information on Southern Cal. Great ride. Very easy, simple gradual decent.

Reviewed March 26, 2017 via mobile

This was a great way to spend an afternoon in the desert. They take you out to a quiet stretch of road that takes you across desert and down through a canyon and out to the sultan sea and the lush vegetation in the desert valley. So much was in bloom from brittle bush to cactus, making the desert come alive in color. You could also smell the citrus as you peddle through the lemon groves. The guides educate you on the area, the fault lines, the foliage and the mountains. Afternoon ride had a nice headwind coming out of the canyon to cool you in the sun. As an added treat you stop at a date farm for date ice cream and date tasting. Awesome after the ride. Ride is easy, almost all downhill on a slight grade. Guides were great!

Thank you! The variety of scenery on this tour is something that I really think sets it apart as well. We hope you join us again!

See more reviews
Reviewed March 17, 2017

This experience was amazing. We were driven to Box Canyon Drive, got on our bikes and road all the way down the canyon. Traffic was minimal and the views were amazing. I really appreciated our guide - Ron - he gave us lots of great info about the canyon and about the surrounding area. I was able to ride at my own pace with time to enjoy the view and take lots of photos. The stop at Oasis date garden after the ride was the perfect end to a great experience. Would definitely recommend this as a great way to explore the outdoors and learn more about the desert environment!

Thank you! That was a very accurate description of the entire tour, quiet road, amazing scenery, riding at your own pace, and of course the delicious date shake. Glad you enjoyed it!