“great location with mountain views”

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Ruskin, Florida
“great location with mountain views”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Great place....had a room at the far back of resort, ground floor, facing mountains and golf course. rooms have been nicely renovated, property is very well maintained.....location is great, so close to get to everywhere....staff very friendly.
only complaint i would have is that the pools are really spread out, not really close by and rather small. even the "quiet pool" which doesn't permit inflatable rafts and pool noodles, as stated on sign at gate, was never respected....a bunch of gossiping old broads, with blow up rafts and splashing kids....not as quiet as i would have liked. but the pool was ok....just never enough loungers or chairs.....
i would stay here again and recommend it to anybody looking for a conveniently located, well maintained property.

Room Tip: ** a ground floor suite is better because the patio is covered and able to be used during the mid-da...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pyramoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Temecula
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I reserved this property for one week as a timeshare exchange through Interval International. I booked an efficiency which is marketed to accommodate up to 4 people. I called prior to arrival to request a unit with a king bed and was informed that all efficiencies at this property have only 2 double bed. Needless to say this getaway did not start well. Upon entering the unit I was confronted with a room with two double beds and a very small 24 inch table with 2 very uncomfortable chairs. No lounge or easy chair. Patio was spacious but again a room for 4 people and only 2 chairs on the patio. During the stay we experienced an electrical fire in the furnace which sickened me due to toxic fumes. Problem was fixed immediately (within 1 hour). I recovered on the patio. The air conditioning never seemed to function properly. Had to keep turning on and off to adjust temperature. Guests in adjoining unit would sit on the patio and smoke even though this is a non smoking property. Additionally guests in unit above were extremely noisy. You could hear them moving about until early hours of the am. It also sounded as though they were moving furniture. My husband and I finally checked out a day early and no one asked or seemed to care why we were departing early. I have stayed at other Marriott timeshares and never experienced this lack of service nor have I been so uncomfortable. The one good feature was a divided bath. Shower, toilet and2-s sink in one room separated from tub and another sink. No kitchen facilities (of which I was aware when I booked) but the unit did have a coffee maker, 2 slice toaster, microwave and dishes and silverware for two so carry out was facilitated. You did not have to eat out of paper containers if you brought in carry-out. I felt I ended up with a hotel room, not an efficiency. I would not recommend this property.. Marriott has much better timeshares than this one.

Room Tip: End units have more light and a larger patio. No elevator but upstairs rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pfs67
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed May 17, 2014

First time to Palm Springs, and this place was a great place to start. The surrounding area is beautiful and I've never seen so many golf courses in such a short proximity to one another. The only downside is if you're here to actually hit the city of palm springs, you're a 20-minute ut if you don't mind the drive, you're definitely not going to find a place like this much closer...

Had a two bedroom overlooking the golf course and the JW Marriott (where we had access to pools, gym, etc. during the week). The suites are huge and recently re-done with a modern feel and with lots of room for 5 people. Beds were comfortable, but nothing to write home about. What does require a mention is the balcony. It was huge and provided an expansive view over the golf course and waterfall. Definitely a great place to watch the sun go down.

The resort is huge, the grounds are nice and there are multiple pools. And while it is very family-friendly (replete with kids running wild through the convenience store and crying little jerks at the pool) there are pools that are identified as 'quiet' so those without kids can get away.

I will echo what other reviewers have said about service not being the highlight of the trip. While I didn't experience 'bad' service per-say, the 3 different times I attempted to reach an operator/front desk (during non-peak times) I was directed to an automated machine telling me to hold, and where no one ever picked-up. Good thing I'm not really high-maintenance, but I could see how this might bother others.

All-in-all a very nice place, especially if you travel with a large group. If I were visiting for nightlife and entertainment, I would probably look to stay a little closer to the city.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank mattjames24
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We really liked this place. They furnished us with anything we ran out of from lotion to shampoo to coffee. The suites are very large and the backside looks out on the golf course. I wish we could have set the temperature to either heat or air because the heater kicked on a couple of times and I consider that a huge energy waste. After a couple of nights I found the "sweet spot" for the temperature to set so that the heat wouldn't kick on. But more than anything I liked that the floor (tiled and carpeting) was clean.

Room Tip: Some are closer to a pool (I think there are 7 of them) but I don't see any locations as being b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CAnn9
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

This is my 10th vacation to DSV1. Spent two weeks this trip. All my pre vacation requests were filled. One bedroom in building "F", upper floor. We love the units large size, kitchen and golf course views. Service was great. We had a coffee pot replaced in 10 minutes.
The biggest plus to DSV1 is the access and benefits at the JW Marriott next door. The access to the spa, tennis and hotel pools. Discounted golf, spa treatments and food at JW restaurants will keep us coming back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CGOOD39
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful view and grounds. Very spacious interior that has been renovated. Found old 1/2 eaten apple in the drawer next to my bed and a half full frozen jug of milk in the refrigerator when we moved in. Cleaning person came back for a dozen eggs that were left by the prior tenants so she must have cleaned something just not the entire unit. After reading other reviews it seems as if cleaning and customer care could use an overhaul. Not sure we would stay here again unless reviews start to improve.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Muskie53
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for visiting Marriott's Desert Springs Villas. It is concerning to hear items were left in your villa from the previous guest. This is certainly unacceptable and we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. We would welcome the chance to learn more about your experience and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for providing us your feedback on TripAdvisor.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The pros: the suites are nicely decorated and are spacious. But there were many cons for our family, mostly stemming from the fact that we have a two-year-old toddler. First, we weren't allowed to check in until late in the afternoon because our suite (which was a two-bedroom suite) was having tile work done in one of the bathrooms -- which is not a satisfactory explanation when all one wants to do is unpack food/drinks in the kitchen area and other belongings in the bedroom areas that were not affected. Second, after checking in, our room keys didn't work later in the day. Third, we were kicked out of one of the pools because there were no babies allowed in the pool that afternoon (even though, as one guest told us, our daughter was being quiet and well-behaved). Fourth, we had to fight tooth-and-nail for a SLIGHTLY later checkout of 11a insteads of the 10a checkout time. When I asked for the later checkout, in light of our late check-in, the manager whom I spoke to initially responded by asking whether I had ever worked at a hotel before. It was a rude response that was reflective of an overall negative, inflexible, intolerant attitude towards families with young ones. I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank dcbuddy
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for visiting Marriott's Desert Springs Villas. While it is never easy to hear when we have not met our guest's expectations, we appreciate your feedback. We would welcome the chance to learn more about your stay and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I? Share your experiences!