“Still a Reasonable Choice Despite Being an Older Property” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Mobile,AL
“Still a Reasonable Choice Despite Being an Older Property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this property with two other friends for a golf getaway. We stayed in a second floor villa and found the living arrangements to meet our needs because one of us slept on the sofa in the living area.
This villa was clean and everything was in good working order. I stayed in the separate bed room suite which overlooked the parking lot but I wasn't troubled by outside noise at night as some others had reported.
One of my friends had previous experiences staying at this property and he used this expertise to place us in a villa away from the center of the complex with a great mountain view. We had no problem with lugging our belongings up the stairs to our villa.
I used the free Internet in the main office each day without difficulty.
We played the Valley course at the resort but this course wasn't nearly as nice as either of the two courses at the Indian Wells Golf Resort which is within easy driving distance from this property.
We were told that we could play one hour of tennis each day at the tennis complex that serves the Marriott Hotel with no additional cost but found out that this was only true on weekdays. We paid $24 for one hour on Saturday. I'd clarify this issue if you are interested in playing tennis while at this property.
I certainly understand why other reviewers had varied opinions about the views out of their assigned villas. They all overlook one of the two golf courses but not all of them have excellent views of the mountains like the one my friend chose for us to stay in. The lack of an elevator would make a second floor unit choice troublesome for some. I was not at all bothered by the age of this facility but this could be "deal breaker" for others.

Room Tip: The views out of the villas are quite varied so getting help in this matter would be helpful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MobileResident

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My lady and I traveled here for a short 2 night trip. This property is absolutely beautiful. Upon arrival the staff were friendly and helpful. The property has numerous pools, a beautiful fitness center, and an activities center as well. The resort also hosts daily planned activities, some of which are free and some which cost a small price (this is great for families traveling with kids). The nice thing is that there is no resort fee, like the JW down the street, which by the way is walkable. WIFI and parking are also free.

We booked a one bedroom Villa. It was awesome. This is no efficiency suite. This is a one bedroom apartment! It was freshly renovated, has a full kitchen (including anything you would need to cook and eat a nice meal, minus the food of course), a living room (w/ TV and fireplace) a huge bathroom, and a separate vanity and extra large tub in the bedroom.

As you can tell by my title, my only complaint was the bed. Our king size mattress was only about 4inches thick, it looked like it came from a pullout couch. And to make it worse it had a large hump down the middle, making it feel like you were sleeping on an incline. Not what you would expect from a Marriott, especially one listing the room for $239 a night. Everything else was so nice, I hope our room was just a fluke, because otherwise it was an awesome place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are trying to decide between Villas 1 and Villas 2 here is what to consider. Both are on the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

i stayed in one of these villas in 2006 when i got engaged on the golf course, so of course i have sentimental feelings towards this place. well, after this last stay with our 16 month old i fell even more in love with it. first off, it's been renovated. the villa was super roomy. great comfy couch, full kitchen stocked with silverware and most of the kitchen essentials you would need. washer, dryer, dishwasher. spacious patio, right on the gold course. the pack and play was delivered maybe ten minutes after we were in the room. bed was comfortable but pillows were very small. only other gripe was water pressure in the shower was weak. since we were only there for two nights, we didn't get a chance to use the pools (wind gusts kept them closed) but the shade children's center was hopping with loads of things for kids to do. totally going back in september and staying longer. loved it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mansfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We are owners in other Marriott Vacation Clubs around the country and like to stay at other clubs we don't own at. We had a couple of days in between meetings and decided to spend the weekend. These are wonderful villas and the largest I have stayed in with Marriott. We had a master suite. We had a handicap room, but is was no problem like some rooms might be. The price was great. We were a little ahead of their high season so the room cost about the same as a local Courtyard room but was much nicer.

Room Tip: There are two sets of Villas. We stayed in Villa I as I had heard they were older but bigger. They...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have been owners at the Marriott Desert Springs Villas since they opened over 30 years ago. it has been our gateway to discovering other great Marriott Vacation villas in other countries, but we always love "coming back home" to our vacation villa in Palm Desert!

Don't let the age of the units scare you away...they are constantly upgraded and updated by the superb staff and their excellent design has stood the test of time. Each unit is on one of the two golf courses that wind their way through the development, and Villas I owners and guests (unlike Villas II) are able to use the excellent spa facilities at the world-class JW Marriott Hotel Resort on the same grounds....one of the great hotels in America!

The full units are around 1100 square feet, with terrific master bedroom suite, a large and well-equipped kitchen, dining area, living room, patio with table, chairs and loungers. The "lock-off" or second bedroom has a lot of privacy and a great bath and spa, as well as its own patio.

I have always had my requests for villa location honored. there are a couple of major swimming pool areas and ample smaller pools scattered around the development and convenient to the villas. Ask for a villa near one of the small pools, and you can enjoy family barbeques right at the pool using their excellent BBQ units poolside.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa near one of the smaller family pools. After you check in, make a quick trip to the R...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Scott A
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

This is my 9th or 10th stay at DSV 1 over the past 20 years. I love the area, the climate and the resort. Always get a 1 bedroom villa as close to the tennis centre as possible. This gives you a short walk over to the JW Marriott.

Stayed in building E, the suite was recently updated. DSV 1 includes access Mon-Fri to the JW Spa which is very nice. The golf courses are as beautiful as ever.

My fault for scheduling our vacation over Spring Break. The resort was very busy and so many kids. If you are looking for a quiet vacation ,which Desert Springs usually is, don't go during Spring Break.

Will probably return next year.

• Stayed April 2013
san diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had loved this property till our last stay...We went for a nice romantic valentine's getatway. As another reviewer RonB noted, the pool can get very noisy and i don't know why they don't have an "adults only" one?? So I went for a siesta on our lovely patio, ground floor-(no ants or roaches and the rooms have always been pristine), so I"m half asleep on the lounge chair in the grass when I get hit in the face by 2 sprinklers so I turn and another one gets me, so I'm screaming and try to jump out of the chair and slip twisting my back/knee! (another older lady also happened to be sitting out there and got soaked too!). So I'm laid up for the rest of my stay after being there only 3 hours...We terminated our stay the next AM and I had to have Phy Therapy. I had thought they were comping us our night but found out today, Nope! We stay at marriotts atleast 24 nights a year so was really surprised at their attitude. Plus the front desk gal had given us the wrong building at first so we're walking all around looking for the room...Not sure what's going on with management here but needs to be friendlier! Security did say they'll look in2 putting up signs about the sprinklers esp since they came on at 3pm! (And stop laughing at this!!;)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple