“Recent Stay”

International Hotel & Suites
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have recently returned home after a two week stay at the International Lodge in Palm Desert. The hotel was centrally located and we found our suite to be clean, comfortable and quiet.
The kitchen was well equipped and we enjoyed many meals on our 2nd floor balcony.
The staff were helpful and accommodating and looked after our requests promptly.
The grounds were well maintained and the heated pool was a pleasure to swim in.
We would not hesitate to stay here again on our next visit

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alanm230

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I really enjoyed my two weeks here. It was quiet, clean and comfortable. The kitchen area had everything I needed. The staff was efficient, and non-intrusive. A very pleasant get-away, and I will return. I had a private balcony, and was on and end unit. It was a true vacation. The pool area was peaceful.

Room Tip: Upstairs is quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank tennislover908
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here Friday through Monday for the Wine & Food festival. Room was clean and quiet. Perfect for making some small meals in for breakfast or dinner. Cooked some steaks on the outside grill! Highly recommend this place. Only issues we had were getting extra towels - the service was pretty slow and a sponge would have been nice to have (to wash our dishes). Perfect apartment for a weekend away.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank kkat4742
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We spent 4 nights here during our son's spring break from college. I'll admit, I was a little worried about booking a room here because of the price relative to other hotels in the area. However, we were looking for a place in which there were separate bedrooms because we have a snorer who needs his own space, and a 3rd person, our teenager. I thought there were 2 (2 person) beds in each room but found out upon arrival that there was only one bed per bedroom and there are 3 of us. That problem was quickly solved by the staff, who brought over an extra set of sheets, a blanket and pillow and showed us that the living room contained 2 fold down futons which consequently served quite well as sleeping quarters for our teenager.

There were plenty of mostly minor issues with the apartment - yes, it is an older former duplex apartment. The hot water handle broke off in the downstairs bathroom. The manager said he would send a repairman the next day but that never happened. My husband didn't really care in the end as he just came upstairs to shave and shower in the huge upstairs bathroom. Both because of the fact that the downstairs bathroom also did not have a mirror on the wall, and because the upstairs bathroom had double sinks and an unimaginable amount of space! The bathroom fixtures were old and in need of replacement but they did seem to be clean, therefore were acceptable.

The biggest problem I could foresee with the unit for some people, is the fact that the kitchen as is, is virtually unusable. Fortunately for us, we hadn't planned to cook at all anyway and only kept a few drinks in the fridge. The manager had told us that some upgrades had been completed but that the unit did not yet have planned granite countertops. I hope they plan to replace more than the countertops in the kitchen because the unit has an old original built in electric stovetop that looked broken, and there was no microwave at all. The laminate countertops looked original, and the sink and cabinets were just downright old and worn out. There were a few but not many dishes available to use. They really need to redo the window coverings too. The mattress on the king size bed upstairs was crazy hard too, but the one on the queen bed downstairs was not. That might vary from unit to unit.

Also, I really didn't enjoy getting woke up on my vacation at 7 a.m. each morning by shrub trimmers 2 days in a row, by trash pick-up one morning, and by late night revelers on our last night. However, other than these things, it was a relatively quiet stay which is very important to us. Another issue as others here said too, the wi-fi is spotty and I wouldn't count on it always working. And, after our first night, there was also nobody on site who spoke English. When we tried to ask a few questions, we were told to call the manager's mother (who didn't seem to actually work there) to translate. Fortunately, they weren't very important questions. He was not back when it was time to check out and we were left a note on our door thanking us for our stay and stating that the room charge would show up on our credit card. Hope that works out...

Now for the positives. You are not going to find more space for your money anywhere else. As far as renovations go, all of the floors had been redone with tile downstairs and laminate upstairs. The walls have also been repainted and there is new furniture and a flat screen TV in the living area. Granted, some of the work looks like it was not very professionally done but nonetheless, it's new. Someone came in and made the beds every day too, which isn't really necessary to us but indicates atttention to customers. Also, the duplexes have their own private swimming pool and hot tub. And, the neighborhood is close to nice shopping areas and feels safe enough.

So, despite some of my negative comments above, all in all we had a decent stay here. It's a place that could definitely work well for some people but it might not be for everybody. It's not a luxury hotel. It's more like having your own apartment to come back to every night. It has it's pros and cons. It's got potential and if they get the renovations completed, it will be a very nice option.

Room Tip: Most units in the main buildings apparently have already been updated. If you're looking for a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Covince
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I really love this hotel. I've spent a lot of time in Palm Desert since 1982 and stayed in several high-end hotels in the valley. Palm Desert was my getaway from Los Angeles for the past 25 years.
Three years ago I semi-retired and moved back to NY so this time around I was looking for a nice, reasonably priced hotel in a great location. The International Lodge was perfect. The hotel has a few pools, nice sitting areas and well taken care of landscaping.
I had a second floor room of this two story hotel. An open, one bedroom efficiency, with a large sitting area, a galley kitchen with a peninsula and bar stools, kitchen table, a very good sized bathroom, and a balconey over-looking the out door sitting area. The management and staff were pleasant and extremely helpful. I have already booked my stay for next year, at the lodge, for a total of six weeks. This year I stayed for four weeks. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank rayreo
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My experience started when I called the office 2 1/2 hrs before the check in time and asked Alan if I could check in early. He said my room was ready, but the carpets were being cleaned. He encouraged me to come and drop off my luggage and food, but asked if I would wait until the carpet was dry before I totally checked in. When I got there he had already found a room that was completely ready, and had Leo take me to see it. I loved it and decided to take that room. From start to finish my experience was great. Customer service as well as cleanliness is a must for me. I was very happy with everything. The room was quiet, well stocked, comfortable, and the wifi was great. I was so happy, that I have already booked 3 more nights for next month. Thank you Alan and Leo for your exceptional service and friendliness.

Room Tip: Just tell the office what your needs are and they will find the perfect room for you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights (unit 39) to attend the BNP Paribas tennis tournament in Indian Wells. Thought the price/night was excellent and the drive to the tournament was less than 10 minutes. The room was very clean, the kitchen large, with a full size refrigerator. The beds were comfortable and the room was very quiet. It's not fancy, but we were only in it to sleep. The wifi was spotty for my sons Mac and the tv does not have HD, but we weren't there to watch tv, so no problem. We will book again here each year for the tennis...a great price performer.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family