“Great Dinner in the Desert”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 289 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Cook & Deep Canyon
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had dinner at the Palm Desert Ruth's Chris Steak House on a Thursday evening. Our hotel concierge had made the reservation for us. We arrived a few minutes early and had our cocktails in the lounge area while our booth was being prepared. The whole place is done beautifully in understated elegance. My wife decided to just have a chopped salad and the lobster mac & cheese. I had the surf & turf (two small lobster tails and a 6 ounce filet) with Lyonnaise potatoes. The presentation of her chopped salad was outstanding and it was an excellent dish. The lobster mac & cheese was just so-so, seeming to be lacking in cheese, but with plenty of lobster meat. My surf & turf was excellent with the filet probably the most tender piece of meat I've every had. Our server, Michael, was very friendly, courteous, professional and knowledgeable on the menu items. He was attentive, but not overly so. All in all it was an extremely enjoyable dining experience.

1  Thank Gordon C

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I ate at Ruth Chris' in early October. We had reservations for 7:30. We were seated promtly. The restaurant was only about one half full. This is where it went bad. Our server was Laurie. It took her at least 15 minutes to take our drink orders. She did approach the table during the wait and say she would get back to us. The drink order was taken and another wait. I ordered iced tea. It was never refilled, nor was our water throughout the entire meal. The bus boy did come by and take my empty glass, but never returned with the refill. Dinner order was finally taken after perhaps 45 minutes. Drink reorders, at our having to request them, took another 30 minutes to get, with the exception of a beer that they said needed additional chilling. The bread........delivered and never refilled. Our dinner finally showed up at 9:30. Most of it was correct, but my potatoes were missing. After flagging the waitress again, she told me it takes time and would get them. I finished my main course by the time the potatoes arrived. Food overall, for the six who dined was ok. One of the steaks was not cooked correctly, my fish was ok but not the "hot" meal you would expect there. She never asked if our meal was ok. I think the others at the table were embarassed to complain, They did talk about the meal afterwards. No one was pleased with the evening.

I have eaten at Ruth Chris' around the country and carribean. This is the first time that we have ever been dissapointeed. The manager that evening, a lady, walked around the restaurant alot, but never approached our table. I believe she should have know what was going on, especially when it took so long to get service and eat. Over two hours. We had several great meals at other restaurants during our week stay in Palm Dessert/Springs. This was not one of them. It was without question the worst. Very sad.

3  Thank L0veAruba
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Came for dinner with wife and child Saturday. Set an extra early dinner reservation for 4:30pm. When I arrived the restaurant was fairly empty, and most of the booths were empty. When I was being seated at an open table, I requested a booth (I wanted my child to be out of the traffic area they were seating us.). When the server returned, he told me that the manager said that none of the booths were available. I asked if I needed to make a specific reservation for a booth, because it seemed several of the booths were unoccupied. As it was very early, I didn't see how it was a problem. Finally the general manager came, and we were seated at the booth, but was told that the 6:30 reservation would be asking for the booth. (Wtf). In any event, we had our dinner, and left with at least three other booths empty during the whole time we were there.

Meal was fine, as Ruth Chris is a good steakhouse, but the attitude and reservation issue, I would not return or recommend.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

There were five of us here for dinner. Everything was delicious and cooked to perfection. The service was good. Dinner came to $155.00 for everyone. Close to our hotel. Consistantly good.

1  Thank sactrav66
Reviewed November 2, 2013

service was especially good, very attentive and they comp'd all the deserts because there was a little mix up.

On the down side, 2 steaks were sent back for being undercooked, and the place is really quite expensive.