“Clawing their way to the middle.........”

Sammy's Woodfired Pizza & Grill
Ranked #67 of 289 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Cuisines: American, Lebanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Palm Desert. High end, up scale....and yeah....it's all that.....except for Sammy's. Located on the second level of the shopping mall on El Paseo catering to what is mostly a high end crowd you would expect better than what Sammy's offered. The food....was ok. I had one of their personal thin crust pizzas, other lunch partner had the same. Both were.....just ok. Nothing great and not horrible. Other lunch partners had salads......HUGE mountainous salads. Really? Is that necessary. A serving for one that could easily do for two hungry people? We did not feel like getting it to go....dragging around a salad in a to-go containor all afternoon. By the time we got home it would have been a real mess. Perphaps the answer is a portion size that is reasonable for one person. As far as taste goes it was....ok. Very tough to ruin a salad. Here is where this place falls flat. Service. We never felt welcomed. You don't have to throw down the red carpet but acknowledgement beyond being 'meat-in-the-seat' would be nice. A smile would be nice at the front. Drinks took awhile. Food took awhile. The server who took our order never re-appeared. Food was delivered....and I do mean delivered rather than served; by another staffer. My lunch partner who was also having a pizza had her pizza delivered a good ten minutes AFTER everyone elses. Apparently the kitchen made an error and so chef made another pizza. We should have been informed and given an option. At Sammy's they don't seem to have the consistency in their service to do that. So what they get is a table of pissed off people who don't know what is going on and just think the staff is incompetent. When it came time to pay....I tried to catch a servers eye....that didn't work. I tried to catch the eye of the hostess, as we were on the patio. She looked neither to the right or left and seemed to be completely oblivious except when approached directly from the front. I really needed a flare gun. I had to get up and go to the bar to get someones attention. Then when they processed my card I noticed that the bill was for $92 yet the credit card slip was being processed for $109. - Really? Up until that point I was ok. Made mental note that next time while shopping here to go elsewhere for lunch. No harm no foul. Because of that final bit of incompetence I decided to write this review. If the food isn't completely poisonous and the worst is that the service sucked. I will live another day and if that is the worst life will throw at me that day....then I'm doing ok. When you try to take advantage and rip me off.....we now have crossed a line. I hate that. To the wait staff at Sammy's. If it is that awful working there....quit. If you are going to show up....slap a smile on that 'concussion' and do your best. This was one of a handful of times that I did not leave a gratuity. I was a server many years ago. I know what it is like to have a shift go 'sideways' or to have a demanding table. We were none of these things. This was just lunch and the restaurant while busy wasn't slammed. It would seem to me that situations like this are a reflection of management or lack thereof. Good luck Sammy's! To those who eat there.....check your bill carefully....and bonne chance.

Joanna T, Public Relations Manager at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit to our Palm Desert location. I apologize that you did not receive the excellent service and food that our fans have come to expect. I assure you that your experience was not the norm, and would like the opportunity to make it up to you. If you would like to dine with us again, please send an email to info@sammyspizza.com, so we can arrange the details.

In the meantime, I will definitely be sharing your comments with our operations team and store management, so we can make improvements where ever possible.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Visiting from out of town. Great piazza! Great service, no complaints. We did see a couple try to eat the hot fudge Sunday. Huge!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have been here many times, but apparently never on a Monday night. It is still early in the season and the Humana Golf Tournament had just finished. Consequently it was very quiet. I just had a bowl of the tomato basil soup (delicious) and chicken satay. My wife had the Margaritta pizza. She was reading a promotion card on the table and realizied that we were entitled to a "messy Sundae" for free sincce we had spent over thirty dollars, including drinks. Whe the thing arrived, it looked like it could feed six people. My wife doesn't usually eat many sweets, but fifteen minutes later we were scooping up what was left on the plate (overflow). Haven't had a sundae as good as this since I was a kid. "Can't believe we ate the whole thing". Try to go on Monday if you like hot fudge sundaes with lots of real whipped cream. Bring your appetite!!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were thrilled to find a good gluten-free pizza! The place has a fun atmosphere, very lively and obviously very popular. It was all dampened by extremely slow service. We realize they may have been short staffed, and we weren't particularly in a hurry. If we were, we would have been in trouble. Not just getting the food was slow, but after finishing it took forever for our waiter to show up to give us the bill, and longer again to come back and get our CC. It's a casual pizza place, but we were there almost two hours total! I couldn't believe it. I agree with another reviewer here. The food was pretty good, but I doubt I'd go back and put up with that kind of service again.

Joanna T, Public Relations Manager at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit to our Palm Desert location. I apologize that you did not receive the timely service that we pride ourselves on. I assure you that your experience was not the norm, and would love the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service our guests have come to expect at Sammy's. If you would like to dine with us again, please send an email to insider@sammyspizza.com, so we can arrange the details.

In the meantime, I will definitely be sharing your comments with our operations team and store management.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have lived in this area for over 15 years and finally decided to try Sammy's Woodfired Pizza I missed out waiting till now to try it. My husband and I are trying to diet and it makes it hard to dine out. When we entered the restaurant we were greeted by a big smile from Kati and noticed the warm surroundings. We were told that the duck tacos were extremely good but since they are not on our diet list we had to pass. We ending up splitting a Greek salad and a Margherita pizza and we had the choice of regular, gluten free, or whole wheat crust that was terrific for us. the salad came and it was perfect for two people and so was the pizza. We will be coming back since we can eat their pizza on our diet :) this makes me very happy. Not only do they have pizza but they have an extensive menu that will satisfy everyone. They have a full bar also and a patio with warmers. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we did.