“This is wood fired pizza?”

Sammy's Woodfired Pizza & Grill
Ranked #67 of 272 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, American, Fusion
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mill Bay, Canada
“This is wood fired pizza?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We chose this because it says it was wood fired pizza, which, I think tastes a lot like the great pizzas we had it Italy. It wasn't. The crust was crunchy and dry, not bready and chewy. There was way too much cheese on top. The wine was very expensive ($9/glass).

• Visited January 2013

Palm Springs, California
“Mixed feelings about returning”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stopped here for lunch while shopping on El Paseo. The helpful expert in the Apple store mentioned it. The restaurant wasn't busy so we didn't have to wait to be seated. However we had to follow our host as he meandered around trying to find a table to seat us at, that had been cleaned and prepped. Finally he found a booth that was acceptable. He seated us and handed us menus. I glanced through the menu and was quite impressed with the selection to choose from. I settled on an Artisan Pizza which was described as freshly baked crispy French style crust, topped with smoked bacon, Raclette and Fingerling potato. Having enjoyed pizza topped with potato in Rome, Italy, I was hoping it would be similar. My companion ordered the Grilled Chicken Wrap, romaine, roasted peppers, feta, red onion, kalamata olives, famous Caesar dressing, pesto wrap. We asked our server for water and it arrived in a chilled stoppered bottle so we could refill our glasses ourselves. The food took a long time to arrive but when it finally did, it looked nice. I was a bit put off that colored fingerling potatoes had been used instead of the white I was expecting. There was no sauce on the pizza but then the description didn't mention sauce. The crust turned out to be like biting into a dry cracker. Add that to no sauce... I decided to ask our server for a side of sauce when he came out to check on us. Meanwhile, I was hungry so I ate a slice up to the crust. The potatoes tasted like they were leftover from the night before. As compared to the pizza I enjoyed in Rome, nothing remotely like it. The Raclette cheese was the saving grace as there wasn't much bacon. Disappointing! Our server had vanished. Meanwhile my companion was trying to eat his wrap. It was impossible to pick up with his hands as the filling just tumbled out onto his plate. He resorted to using a knife and fork but that was just as difficult. He did enjoy the flavors though and said it tasted good. I took a bite and thought it was too salty. Still no server. My pizza is cooling. I ate another slice sans crust. Dry.
Finally a different server came by our table as she was about to serve us someone else's meal! We asked her to please stop back as our server had vanished. She graciously did and I asked if I could have side of sauce as my pizza was too dry. It took forever to arrive and it was delivered by our vanishing server. I ate a slice enhanced with dollops of marinara sauce and asked for the rest to be wrapped to take home. Not once had our server or anyone else for that matter, ask how our meals were and if everything was okay. It just seemed like an off day for service from start to finish. I think the menu has a lot to offer and it's a matter of finding what you prefer. But there is room for improvement for this establishment for sure. By the way, my left over pizza grilled in a pan with olive oil was a vast improvement, also enhanced by the sauce they sent along with it.

• Visited December 2012
Bellingham, Washington
“The best pizza in the desert.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Sammy's has a nice variety of pizzas to choose from. Service is good and excellent quality food. If you like pizza, it doesn't get much better than this in Palm Desert.

Cochrane, Canada
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Really enjoyed the patio and the food at Sammy's. Service was quick and we were happy to have come during happy hour so our drinks and meal were discounted. Great food and lots of selection.

Visited November 2012
Highland
“Always delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have eaten at Sammy's a number of times and always have a great meal. The salads my husband and I had today (spicy Thai and Quinoa) were both delicious. We sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful December desert day.

Visited December 2012