“Anniversary Romance Restaurant”
Review of Castelli's

Castelli's
Reserve with OpenTable
Castelli's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 274 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Located on a side of busy Hwy. 111 in Palm Desert, CA, this little restaurant offers a tad of intimacy for those special dates. We've celebrated our wedding anniversary each year and have never been disappointed with the service or food, Their famous "three-meat cannelloni" is my all time favorite. My husband's choice this year was 'veal marsala' which he said was delicious. Chef Brian Altman continues to provide some of the best Italian food in our desert. He is also a featured chef in our "Chefs at the Library" program which provides fun cooking and tasting demostrations each week.

There are newer reviews for Castelli's

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hubby & I came here based on Yelp reviews. Thank you all for noting the huge portions! We split the pork chop entree and each got a large pork chop with candied apples on the plate, plus 2 sides: penne pasta and a broccoli zucchini dish. We also split our salad, Pear & gorgonzola, and our tiramisu dessert. how does one person eat the double pork chop?

First the service: we were seated in the front room, tables on either side of a narrow aisle, pillars next to some of the tables. When a party was shown to their table, the wait staff had to lean up against a pillar to let them get by. Pretty annoying as we were by one of the pillars. Waiter was friendly, informative, describing specials and volunteering prices. That said, we were in and out in an hour, which included wine, salad, entree, dessert & coffee. No sooner did we put our forks down than the plates were cleared away. We ordered coffee & dessert and it came in 2 minutes, then the check was placed on our table, "no hurry". Yeah, sure.

As for the food, the gorgonzola on our salad looked and tasted like mozzarella. I asked about it and was told that it was sliced gorgonzola, and that maybe I was confusing it with blue cheese. We got big steak knives for the pork chops, and I realized why when I tried to cut into it. Excellent taste, but a little on the tough side

All in all, I will not be back. There are a lot of restaurants in the area and this one did not stand out as anything special.

1  Thank muttgirl1
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This Italian restaurant could have been in NY from the way patrons were treated. My waiter even hugged me on the way out. It is a little on the expensive side but both the pasta and veal dishes we had were very good. They also had a piano player playing Sinatra music which added to the vibe.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I totally loved the old school ambiance of this restaurant, all the way down to the piano player performing "Rat Pack" standards. By the crowd at the bar and the nearly full tables, it is obvious that this is a popular restaurant with the locals.

The food was of average quality,portions generous and the selections were typical, but tasty. In my opinion the pasta dishes were overpriced.

Our sever was terrifically attentive and unafraid to answer our questions with his honest opinion.

This was a nice choice for filling, easy, casual Italian food.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have eaten here on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed. My wife and I had dinner there earlier this month. We got there a bit earlier and sat at the bar for a few minutes. Their bartender makes an excellent martini. I had osso bucco for my entree. Many restaurants of late have tended to "modernize" this dish, but Castelli's remains with a more traditional take on this classic. My wife had an excellent beef steak with gorganzola cheese. We finished by sharing a huge slab of tiramisu. Yes, I know, none of this seems trendy or cool, but we love it.

While dinner here is anything but cheap, the portions were so large that we had enough for a full dinner at home the next evening. We'll definitely be back.