“Good Deal!”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Caribbean
“Good Deal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

Having read the posted reviews I was VERY concerned about staying at this hotel, but the location was extremely convenient and since I was not intending to spend a lot of time in the room I figured I would chance it. The GREAT price I got on a website was the swinger for me however :).
I am tremendoulsy pleased to say that my fears were unfounded. The room (double bed standard) was clean and so was the bathroom (this is the maker or breaker in my book). There was daily room service which kept things nice and tidy and well stocked (in room fridge and coffee maker). Access off Highway 111was a breeze and the hotel is close to (walking distance) Albertsons and Ralph's, CVS, a range of restauarants French gourmet, Mexican, Chinese, grill. Shopping in La Quinta is a 5 minute drive away. I would say that this hotel is in a really good central location in a somewhat upscale area - at the edge of the golf resorts.
There was some remodelling going on but that did not really affect guests (except having to wait on the elevator). The elevator - that would be the bad point. It was HOT and the carpet old. I hope that this also benefits from the remodelling.
All employees were very friendly especially the breakfast guys. This is a nice start to the day - small choice eggs, pancakes, hot or cold cereal, fruit.
I did not use the pool but checked it out . The pool area is slightly screened from the balcony areas . It was extremely clean and in the whole time (10 days) and there were not towels strewn around. Excellent value, I'd recommend it. I'd stay there again - with my children!

• Liked — Convenient Location
  • Disliked — Elevator
  • Tips/Secrets — Tere is a microwave in the breakfast room. Use it to make popcorn or TV dinners for cheap meal. Also to spice up the breakfast, get bagels or croissant from groceries close by.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank KeptWoman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
South Kingstown, Rhode island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2006

The pool area was unkempt, with used pool towels lying about on the lounge chairs. The pool itself was not the cleanest on one of the three days of our stay. Towels were not available at the pool as a notice in our room advised, and we had to go to reception each of the three days to request towels which were then delivered to the pool Receptacles for used towels at the pool were filled with trash. Room necessities such as towels, soap, toilet paper, tissues, were not replaced on a regular basis and one had to again go to reception to request same or some combination of the preceding, on each day of our stay. Our bed linens were not changed for the three days of our stay. No luggage carts were available. The desk ran out of newspapers early. The furniture on the balconies was dirty and grimey, necessitating washing our clothes after we sat on the chairs. The manager was unavailable when ever we asked to speak with hiim on three separate days. The owner who was present on the day of our checkout, refused to speak with us about these unpleasant conditions at the hotel. We were told that if we left our phone number he would personally call us. Two weeks later, still no call. They would not honor the discount coupons available in the travel coupon magazines. It is not worth the three star rating it has received and in our opinion, is being run into the ground, either purposely or by poor management. We could not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
13 Thank fergrimes-7
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2006

I have stayed there many times over the past ten years. It was a much nicer facility when it was a Vacation Inn. The front desk persons are all very young and not good at taking care of requests promptly or the first time you ask them. The rooms are just okay - the amenities are very outdated. The breakfast is a laugh - they could eliminate that and pay more attention to the condition of the rooms and grounds. Also, dogs should be on a leash and not allowed to roam the grounds. They defintely need a better mattress pad on the beds and some of the sheets to be replaced. I handle my company travel and have several friends in the travel business and would not at this time recommend they stay there.

• Stayed March 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2005

Staff are very friendly and co-operative but the rooms are less than desirable. Room we had was dirty as within 1-hr of our stay my white socks had become dirty. Couple with the musty smell, we decided to the leave the hotel the next day.

Stayed November 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2005

Hotel is obviously dated. Fixtures, carpet and a/c heating system were very old. A/c heating systems were very noisy when turning on. Carpet was worn. However, despite the age of the facilities the rooms and public facilities were kept very, very clean. The bathrooms were spotless and the rooms themselves were very clean. High speed internet is available only in the lobby. Free breakfast was standard fare. Included meats but was often cold. Overall for the money a good deal for basic but very clean accomodations.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san diego, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

If this hotel was remodeled, they missed my room. Old beds, lumpy foam pillows, and a mildew and mold odor that stopped my husband from breathing in the middle of the night.

Spend a few pennies more and keep moving down the road.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank goodnight
Dawlish, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2005

We checked in here for the last 2 nights of our recent trip to California after a week at the wonderful Marriott Desert Springs Villas timeshare resort, so we had been very spoilt. We had driven past it many times on our way along Highway 111 and it looked ok. We checked in and lugged our luggage (!) up to our room on the second floor. The room was quite small but perfectly ok. On trying to open the sliding door on to the balcony I very nearly took the tips off the fingers on my right hand - it was extremely reluctant to open. Other than that we had no problems and the cooked breakfast included with the roomrate was a welcome extra.
I think describing itself as a "Resort" is a bit of a stretch - I'm sure two tennis courts and a small pool hardly make it that!

• Stayed October 2005