“Coachella - best value for the money”

Best Western Plus Palm Desert Resort
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Granite Bay, CA
“Coachella - best value for the money”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Waited too long to find housing for Coachella and ended up staying here as it was the cheapest I could find without going "off-brand".

Pros:
Check in was fast and easy.
Beds comfortable.
Room Clean - initially
Eggs made to order at the included continental breakfast
Crispy bacon
CVS and grocery store convenient walking distance
Upscale shopping nearby
Refrigerator, iron and blowdryer in room and they all worked!
Much cheaper than comparable hotels for Coachella (they all jack up their prices)

Cons:
Maid banged on the door at 7 am one morning asking to clean. I asked her to come back after 11:30 am. She never came back. I had to ask the front desk to send up clean wash cloths and towels and to make sure a maid came to clean the next day.

Narcotics drug bust (obviously tied to Coachella) at 6 am one morning. The perpetrators were in the room above us and came in at 3 am VERY noisily. But again this is probably only Coachella related. We didn't get much sleep that night.

They jack up their prices for Coachella and Stagecoach weekends.

Room Tip: Ask front desk not to put the drug dealers in the room directly above yours if you want a good night...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JLynch7471
bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for staying at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort. You made it very easy to see what you liked and didnt like and we will use the feedback to better improve our services. I apologize for the noise that kept you awake during your stay. We hope to see you back next year for the Coachella Valley Music Festival.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Yucaipa, California
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel will remind most of those places you stay that are unplanned. Much like a resting spot after 500 milesof driving and you only have one choice or its another 100 miles of driving to the next town. Only difference is this place is right in the middle of the high end El Paseo shopping district. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is directly across the street. You would never know it after staying in this dump.

To start, I booked this hotel on hotwire which listed it as a three star hotel. I have booked many hotels on Hotwire and have almost always agreed with their ratings. This one was waaaaay off!!! The hotel is a two star at best. Run down, smelly, and in need repair. The weekend I stayed they had a large contingency of people that set up a barbeque in the parking lot and whipped out the beer and vodka and cranked up the gangsta rap. This was not a tailgaiting event next to a stadium...this was a Best Western hotel. Why these 30 people couldn't find a more suitable spot is beyond me. The pool was full of kids who played in it for hours, drinking water and soda, bit never once leaving the pool to relieve themselves. You do the math.

I could go on but my.fingers will get numb. All I got to say is this place is akin to a truck stop motor lodge and nothing more. Embassy Suites is across the street. My bet is they are 100 times nicer.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank socal2cabo
bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for staying at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort. I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations and we appreciate all feedback that we are given. We want all our guests to enjoy a good time while at the hotel unfortunately they made you feel uncomfortable.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed here overnight on May 1. I made the reservation on expedia, and when I checked in. It literally took all of about 2 or 3 minutes. They gave me my room key with a map of the hotel, and showed me where my room was.
The hotel is spread out a little bit it's good. The grounds were well kept and the pool was nice. But I walked into my room and it was hardwood floors. That surprised me because I have never seen hardwood floors for a hotel room. But the room fairly clean and simple. The bed slept as good as it could be when you are sleeping in a strange bed. The tv had a fair selection of channels on it. The shower was good and pressure was good. It wasn't too low and not to hard, just right.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort. We are glad to hear that our hotel fit all your needs. We hope you will come out and see us again in the future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed two nights at this location. The people were very nice and accommodating in every way. I can't speak highly enough for Veronica as she was as professional and helpful as could be.Quite honestly the entire staff was so pleasant. What a lovely group of employees you are fortunate to have there.
Thanks so much for a great stay. We will be back in the future and will look very forward to our next stay.

Thanks so much,
Tina Mancini-Gebert

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for staying at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort. We are glad that our staff could take care of all your needs and that you had a pleasant stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed April 25, 2013

So I spent 3 nights here during Coachella Weekend 1 (because my usual hotel had all rooms blocked for the festival promoter, Goldenvoice), only to walk into a completely old/dated/run-down room -- carpets were stained & filthy (like you wouldn't dare think of walking around the room barefoot), doors to the bathroom & closets were totally beat-up and dated (looked like this place was built in the 80s and hasn't been renovated since). The bathroom: toilet was so old & shower surround was yellow from age (it was obviously white at one point) -- so gross!

When I checked in, it was 90+ degrees out and the A/C was not working in my room. I called the front desk after it didn't kick in after 10 minutes. Another 20 min later it finally kicked in weakly (and that's when the front desk rep showed up). At first I thought my horrible allergies were triggered by the dust blowing around that weekend, but I noticed every morning I woke up here that my allergies were worse than ever. After 2 mornings of this, I surmised that it might be the A/C system that was really making me sick -- probably mold or something in the vents.

Though the included daily breakfast was decent (freshly made-to-order), waiting 30 min in line to get breakfast was pretty ridiculous.

Overall, this property is very big/spread out (as a female I didn't feel safe walking around there at night) and in dire need of renovation all around. Granted it was Coachella weekend, so the rates were obviously jacked up, but to pay $288/night (discounted AAA rate) for this crap-hole did not go down well. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kktraveler69
Thank you for staying at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Your review will help us make improvements to better our service. We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast but apologize that the wait was long.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed here because of other reviews, wondering if they stayed at this hotel. Yes the staff was very good, we did have an issue with our air conditioning, called, got instructions on how to rest it, but had to leave for the evening. When we returned it was still not working, tried to reset it again, cooled the room off by just opening the patio door, as we really didn't feel like dealing with it at 11:00pm. The breakfast was alright, hash browns greasy, eggs served over easy not basted. The building is dated, redecorated but dated. Sorry, not worth $140 a night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The young man that checked us in was unfriendly and surly. It was awkward finding our room and it was comfortable even though on the smallish side. The hotel is older and of a 3-story 'motel' style. The location was a bit out of the way for us, but there were many restaurants to choose from close by so we ate out and spent little time at the hotel. On the positive side, the breakfast in the morning was very good and unusual in that it was made to order so we ordered a cooked breakfast - hash browns and bacon with a poached egg on top. (We normally avoid cooked egg and meats offered precooked in chain hotels and stick to cooked oatmeal and toast). We would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all the feedback you can give us and will use it to make improvements to our property. We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast in the morning.