“Innovative and sophisticated cooking”

Los Pepes Mexican Grill
Ranked #96 of 294 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The night I visited, Cream of Cilantro soup was one of the daily specials. It was amazing. How come everybody isn't serving this? It was creamy, green, flavorful, well strained with no bits of herb in it. Topped with a bit of cheese shreds and a few strips of fried tortilla. This is way beyond average Mexican restaurant cooking.

I also had a barbequed beef that I haven't found on other menus, but is a staple on this one. It was mostly successful. The sides were all tasty.

The service was attentive, the ambience standard.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Have seen their print and TV ads. Looked like an upscale mexican restaurant that specializes in seafood. Well the prices are upscale, but the food was anything but. If it wasn't for the occasional piece of cilantro getting on the fork, the food would have had no flavor at all. What is it with Mexican restaurants dumbing down their food so much it tastes like nothing but tomato and moosh. YIKES. Del Taco has better tasting Mexican food!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The restaurant was half full, plenty of wait staff around, although when we saw our waiter he was polite, truly lousy service. We liked the chips and salsa, so we ordered guacamole to go along with. Waiter brought it out right away, but could see we needed more chips. He said he would bring them right out, but it took about 20 minutes. Finally the manager, I think, brought them out. Ordered a second margarita, which took about 20 minutes also. Our food came out about 45 minutes after ordering and it was warmish, but not hot. Food was so so. Our group had Chile Colorado, Chicken mole, a beef burrito and a salad. All okay, but not living up to the other reviews read here. Big disappointment. Suggest trying one of the other many restaurants around.

1  Thank Kathleen F
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is a small place in a strip mall near Bristol Farms. It was our first time here and I wish I had tried some of their more exotic foods. My normal measure of a Mexican reastaurant is their chili relleno which was good. Based on another TA review I tried the black beans which I agree are the best I have ever tasted. The service was great and everything we had was very good but we were not very adventurous on this trip. There is more to this place than your typical beans and rice combo plates. They do have combos and we found them to be very flexible in selecting items different than what was on the menu. I am looking forward to trying some of the more exotic dishes in the future. They have a separate bar section and several TVs going overhead. This place is definitely worth a try and I expect it will become one of our favorites.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Was staying in the area at Marriott Shadow Ridge. Did not want to drive down to the Hwy 111 Restaurant area. Checked on Trip Advisor and found this restaurant with a good rating and close by.

Was very satisfied with the food and house margaritas. The daily specials were not "run of the miill" mexican food and were very enjoyable.

Would recommend to anyone looking for good food at a reasonable price.