“Great value. Fun pool. Huge rooms.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages

Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Santa Monica, CA
“Great value. Fun pool. Huge rooms.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

We stayed in a two bedroom villa. I have no idea why it's called a villa, because it's simply two bedrooms attached to a central, living room/kitchen/dining room in a three-story building. We asked to stay near the pool and were in building 2400, which was a two-minute walk from the pool. The location was fabulous for us.

Because it's a time-share place (we just got a room for the weekend and didn't have to attend any time-share sessions), it's different from a hotel. It has a full kitchen with a fridge, stove and other stuff. It does come with one package of regular coffee, a few sugars and two creams. There is no daily maid service. However, it was acceptable for us to bring a cooler of snacks and drinks (including beer) to the pool, which saved us money.

The snack bar by the pool wasn't too bad a deal and we had a few cocktails and lunch from the snack bar. We also went to Nick Faldo's restaurant, which was pretty good. The service was adequate and my steak was a bit overcooked, but they split plates in the back (for a charge, but that's fine with me) and they gave me a cocktail in a to-go cup. This was because they took a long time to take my order for a second drink, and by the time it came, my younger daughter was ready for bed.

The place was swarming with kids -- which was a good thing because it gave my kids people to play with. The water slide was great and my very timid children went on it multiple times. The water in the pool was reasonably warm, which meant that I went in to the water.

There really weren't negatives of any consequence. I wish the second bedroom had two beds instead of one king, but the kids slept fine in the same bed. I wish that the tub in my room had jets, but really, it's not that big a deal. Finally, I wish that I would have had the option for maid service even though we were only there for two nights.

We would likely go back to this place, although not for more than a weekend because of the lack of maid service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Hope, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

This resort is clean and well maintained with all of the luxuries of home.
A great place for families and couples alike - Highly recommended

St Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Our time at Shadow Ridge was great. I was a little skeptical as this was the first time we had used an exchange program (Interval International) but it couldn't have gone smoother. Our room faced the 11th fairway and since it was the studio portion of the lockoff, it was a bit small - no bigger than a regular sized hotel room. However, we were sans child and were usually out and about so the room size didn't matter. Everything was clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. As previous reviewers mentioned, the walls seemed somewhat thin but it was anything that we couldn't tolerate. My husband managed to play 3 rounds of golf in our 4 day stay and I rode along for one round. Beautiful course - I'm not a golfer but the hubs was certainly challenged and was eager to play again after his first round. I spent time at the pool in the Enclaves area of the resort. If we ever go back, this is the section we would like to stay. The pool/bar area is lovely and it has its own smaller fitness facility. This section is also a "green build", so the extra insulation cuts down on the aforementioned noise. As for the timeshare portion of the trip, we were in no way forced to do a tour. We chose to because we were curious about how Marriott stacked up to our current ownership. The salesman who gave us the pitch was very respectful of our position and didn't turn up the heat. Those 90 minutes were the only time we were spoken to about buying into the property. Other points to be mentioned - we spent one day in Joshua Tree, which every visitor to this area of Cali should do once. Breathtaking and mind boggling. I spent a couple of hours at Spa Esmeralda in Indian Wells. By stating that I was a guest at Shadow Ridge, I was able to get a 1 hour massage for $89. Huge savings for a highly rated spa. We also had a delicious, romantic dinner at Copley's in Palm Springs. Overall, it was just what a couple of new parents needed to break away for a while. It was also very family friendly so we wouldn't bat an eye on bringing our son in the future. My only regret was not planning the trip a week later so we could have gone to the Cochella music festival. Its right down the road and we wouldn't have to deal with smelly campgrounds.

1 Thank melstl
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We've stayed at lots of Marriott Beach Clubs as my inlaws have time share in Hawaii but this was by far the most average of an otherwise impressive chain. The grounds were great, pools very nice but the rooms were small (lock off unit) and really loud. The lock off door does little to stop sound as we could hear everything the room next to us was saying. Not a quiet romantic spot but rather a family/golfer spot.

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank physiodude
snapdragon17
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Marriott Shadow Ridge is by far our favorite location. We have several timeshares and really enjoy Palm Desert. Weather is always great, people are nice at Shadow Ridge and the views both sunset and sunrise are terrific. The hotel is very clean and has everything you could ask for. They have really improved the exercise room and the golf course is in great shape!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Forestville, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

This complex was much better than described in previous reviews. Everyone at the resort was very helpful in every aspect of our stay. The pools were well organized (the younger kids all stayed at the kids pool and it was quieter and more relaxing at the adults and teenager pool). The "Living Desert" and "Aerial Tram" were worth going to.
We especially enjoyed all the flowers blooming at the Living Desert. A trip to Joshua Tree was also a nice ride with excellent scenery. Other than the traffic (which I am not used to), this is a great area to spend some time at!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Sunland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

Stellar service from start to finish. We accidentally arrived early so we had to wait for a room, but they called me back 15 minutes later for early check in. This resort only hires professionals, and excellence is obvious from management on down. Facilities were clean, clean clean; the guests were even a pleasant surprise. No loud kids running everywhere, no excuses by the desk staff, no trash blowing around the pool for 2 days like we found at Rancho Las Palmas. One spa wasn't working but the resort has 4 pools and other spas. The infinity pools were delicious, especially at dusk. The layout of the resort is sort of odd, resembling two rows of apartment houses, but there wasn't a speck of dirt, scuff or smudge anywhere, and quality showed in the details. While our room was sort of small, it was so well-designed and decorated, you still felt you were in a premium room, because you were. Love the kitchenette complete with dishes, glassware, cutlery, toaster, fridge and microwave. I understand the larger units are quite spacious with a full kitchen etc., so I will probably try those another time. I loved that there was plenty of parking so that took off some of the tension as well. I asked for a room close to the pools which I would recommend if you don't like long walks to the fitness room, pool etc.
After being horribly treated at Rancho Las Palmas and disappointed by Doral Princess and others, believe me I was looking for things to criticize, but there never were any. I've never encountered a more professional, intelligent desk staff, ever. This went a long way towards making it a real resort experience where you could "leave your troubles behind" and feel at home. I've stayed at dozens of resorts in the Palm Springs area, and this was by far the best experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
4.0 of 5 stars 801 reviews
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!