“Fantastic time in a great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages

Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
San Diego, California
“Fantastic time in a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

Stayed in Hotel Style room (king bed with pullout sofa and small kitchenette) for Labor Day weekend. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We traveled with our young children, so a majority of our time was spent at the main pool and Activity Center. The pools are fantastic, big and roomy. The main pool area has (2) huge pools separated by the bar/snack shack with ample seating for dinning, (1) water slide, (1) infant pool, a couple of hot tubes and a little water park/play for kids. We spent our days at the pool nearest the activity center and slide. You can bring floats, noodles, soft toys, etc in the pool and your own food & beverages poolside. Beware that some folks did bring drinks into the pool, but everyone was very courteous and nice so no issues for us. We were lucky to get one of the cabanas (there are 10, so you need to get up early to claim you spot). The Activity Center was great when the kids got tired of playing in the water. It has (2) Wii game areas, an arcade, ping-pong and pool table, and a small movie theater. There is also a basket ball court and putting green just across the street.

I did read through quite a few of these reviews and to be very honest, I did not experience any of the negatives people mentioned. The staff, although our interaction was very limited, was great. We were able to get our room moved closer to the pools. We had a food order mix-up at the bar/snack shack and the bartender graciously gave us that meal for free. The folks at the activity center were awesome and attentive. They had a few arts & craft events over the holiday weekend, but nothing extravagant. The resort is located a couple of miles from a couple of shopping centers/malls. We did not play any golf, but the grounds look great and we saw the grounds crew out each morning and evening keeping the place in order. I tried to talk my wife into staying a couple of extra days, but we needed to get the kids back to school. I’m definitely coming back soon. Just a great place to sit back and relax and have fun with the kids.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank vawwkayaker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Hawkinge, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,280 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We swapped into the resort from our Marriott resort in Orlando (Grande Vista) and we enjoyed staying here very much. We had a two bedroom villa in building 2600 which was near the quiet pool and backing onto the golf course. It was very spacious and fully fitted and great for our family of 4. I couldn't fault the accommodation at all. The beds were extremely comfortable, furniture looked fresh and new and the kitchen was perfect.
We tried the pool up at the Enclaves on the first day because it had a "beach" but it was not enjoyable because there were absolutely no umbrellas at all, no natural shade and only about 8 cabanas to serve the whole area. You basically fried! Also the pool had grit on the bottom and wasn't too clear.....
The next day we went to the quiet pool which was absolute bliss. Plenty of cabanas and shaded sections with misters and a lovey sparkling pool. We used it all the time after this. The other pool areas near the 1000 buildings looked great for families and they seemed to have decent shade provision too.
My husband used the golf facilities and enjoyed that. We rented some dvds some nights. The resort is extremely well positioned for lots of activities . Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage/Palm Desert basicall all merge together but they are small enough that you become familiar very quickly and it all feels very very safe and very hospitable. There are lots of dining choices, plenty of shopping areas, cinemas and theatres. We had two very notable trips. One to the Joshua Tree National Park (about 40 miles) which was spectacular, with good short hikes, great views and interesting exhibits. We also took the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway up Mt Jacinto and that was so good I cannot rate it highly enough. The temperature in Palm Springs was 108 but at the top it was 70F and absolutely delightful. Once you get up there, there are miles of green forest with trails and again spectacular views down over the valley. There are a couple of restaurants up there or you can take a picnic. We really enjoyed our visit and hike and it would have been nice to have stayed the night, the stars must be fantastic up there.
Would go back to Palm Springs and the Marriott in an instant. The free wireless was a boon. I would like it if they did a mid week freshen up/linen change like other resorts do or at least took your trash away every couple of days. But apart from that and the need to put more shade up at the Enclaves Pool, I can't really fault it.

4 Thank alliebdive
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This is our 2nd trip to Shadow Ridge. We have Interval and book it as a "getaway" and the value for the week is amazing...We like to go there in the summer with the kids. We love the location and the units are always nice and fully equipped with just about everything you need.

ROOM~
We always seem to have some trouble with our fridge not being cold enough, but the maintenance guy showed up on the first night and took care of the problem quickly. We had a beautiful unit on the 16th hole. 3rd floor room this year as we learned that it's best to ask for the 3rd floor so you don't hear children running in the early morning hours.
We had an outside corner room and did hear ALOT of chirping crickets in the walls at night...They need to spray or something...it can get on your nerves after awhile. Oh...and they need to mop better. I, once again, like lastyear had to mop our floors when we first got there. My kids are pretty spoiled and hate dirty floors since I am a clean freak at home. Housekeeping could do a better job on the floors. Those are really my only complaints.
Check in was fast and easy and DJ hooked us up with the 3rd floor room and we were on our way. He was great.
People that are new to going to this property need to realize that this condo DOES NOToffer daily room cleaning and towel exchange. You can have them come mid week and swap out clean towels etc, but it's an extra charge and not really worth it in my opinion. We just used the in-room washer and dryer to wash towels while we were there.

POOL~
Pool was packed as usual, but always was able to find chairs no matter what time of the day we were there. Kids once again enjoyed the waterslide. HOURS of fun for them...and relaxation for us!!
We did drive over to the new section-the Enclaves- and checked out the pool. Seems to be much more quiet and less kids over there. That would probably be the best bet for a couple with no children.
We also really like that you are able to bring a fully stocked cooler with you to the pool. It's nice to bring whatever drinks you want without having to order from the pool bar! Saves tons of money and is great! It's one of my favorite things about this property.
Movies in the pool on Friday and Saturday nights is always a hit with the kids and we couldn't have asked for nicer weather this trip!
Overall this is a well maintained property and VERY family friendly!!

2 Thank Julie H
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Just returned from a five day stay at the Shadow Ridge Villas. I have mixed reviews:

Positives:
GREAT LOCATION- near stores, restaurants, groceries, etc.
BEAUTIFUL PROPERTY-all of the villas surround the Shadow Ridge golf course and offer views of the golf course and the surrounding mountains. View is best from the 3rd floor rooms.
KITCHEN AMENITIES- the 1 and 2 bedroom villas have fully equipped kitchens and full washer and dryers. It was nice to be able to cook meals and wash clothes.
GOLF- my son enjoyed the on-property course. Juniors are free with a paying adult or 50% off rack rate.

Negatives:
ROOM LOCATION-the villas are located in several diiferent apartment type buildings throughout the property. Some of the buildings are 3/4 miles away from the lobby, market place, gym and restaurant. Many families would drive to the pool and lobby area. If you have small children and/or walking is an issue it would be best to request a room closer to the pool or lobby.
HOTEL POLICY REGARDING ROOM UPGRADES-
Our first room was a 1 bedroom villa on the 2nd floor. Our first night we encountered heavy foot traffic above, so the next morning I went to the front desk to inquire about a room change and also an upgrade to a 2 bedroom villa. The front desk was able to move us to an equal room, but I was told any room upgrades had to be made through the booking agent. I had to drive back to my room and contact Marriott to make the room change. For an additional $42 a night we were able to move to a 2 bedroom villa on the 3rd floor. The move was definitely worth it. The view was beautiful and the extra room was great for my husband and two teenage boys.
POOL AREA AND ACTIVITY CENTER- CROWDED! Even during the first week of August the resort was near capacity and the pool areas were packed. There are two main pools on property. I was told there is an addtional pool near the buildings located 3/4 miles away. One of the pools has a water slide and was much busier then the other pool. The resort offers pool cabanas at a first come first serve basis. The cabanas offer misters, pool loungers and tables. It would be great way to enjoy the pool area, but one had to get up early to stake a spot.

All in all, mixed reviews. Although I do recommend this hotel I am not sure if my family will return. We just prefer less crowds and less expansive properties.

1 Thank dmssd
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We arrived with the grandkids at the Marriott Shadow Ridge facility and were immediately impressed by the friendliness exuded by the hotel staff members. Since we arrived before the check-in time, we asked if we could use the pool. There was no hesitation . . . yes, we could enjoy the pool while we waited for our room.

We had our choice of two large pools that were in close proximity to each other. The larger pool had a waterslide which seem to attract a number of kids as well as adults. The pool area was very busy with lots of kids . . . it's definitely a family oriented place!

At 4:00 p.m. we were allowed accessed to our room. I was impressed by the layout of the villa (full kitchen, dining area, living area and an enclosed bedroom). There was a balcony which provided us with a scenic view of the golf course. I was impressed by the cleaniness of the rooms . . . the enitre suite was well-maintained.

I would highly recommend this place for families who want a good value but also a place that caters to kids. We definitely will return to this place next year!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank NLopez4390
Rancho Cucamonga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

That's the definition of an Enclave. But for me, they are very contemporary, very nice looking, but small weird layout rooms that are not as desirable for more than 2 people than the Villa's at Shadow Ridge. They have one big room shaped like an L. The kitchen and dining room take 90% of the space in the room. The other is the bed. It's ridiculous. For couple it's fine. But not golf buddies, or 2 couples, or god forbid a family. The kitchen is cool, very nice styling, but it's the focal point of the room. Not my kind of place.
I've been to Shadow Ridge 7 times, and again for a week. On this trip we stayed 7 nights but in the Villa's. The original building. I visited friends in there room. Heck, they only have 2 chairs on the balcony. But it sleeps 6? Crazy.

Now the pool and Snake Bite bar are great. The centerpiece of the property is a pool area that has 2 pools one on a lower level and one up a bit. The lower pool is bigger, but still small. It's only 3'6" deep. The top pool seperated by 20' is 5'4 at it's deepest. The main pool gets too hot. The day I went it was 112 degrees and the pool felt like a jacuzzi. The night I went to the upper pool. It was 101 at 10pm but the water was cool. I would say high 70's.
Bottom line opinion for me, they need to rearrange the rooms on the next build and make them bigger, and more standard layout, but the decoration, furniture design and style is perfect. No change needed.
The pools are great, the area has tons of big beautiful palm trees, and at night with all the lights on them it's really cool! I'd go back, but stay in the Villa's. Unless it's me an a significant other alone.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Johnny V
Aubrey, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

My Family and I had a great time at this resort. Our rooms were very clean and spacious. The activity center was nice for the kids with arts, craft, arcade and Wii. The pool area was big and at night they showed kid movies by the pool. This was a big resort with plenty to do.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!