“Kids loved it !”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
San Marcos, California
“Kids loved it !”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at the Shadow Ridge with my 8 and 10 year old children. Starting with the room I stayed in a studio with a king and a fold out mattress. For the 3 of us this was plenty of room. The room was clean and updated nicely. There was a small kitchenette (mini fridge, microwave, toaster, flatware, plates, bowls) that was perfect for kid type breakfast and lunch preparation. the room was quiet and ample parking.

Our main reason for going here was for spending a few days at the pool. The main pool (Chuckwalla) had a slide and this was where most people were with small kids. There were plenty of chairs and also shade with some areas with grass. What is nice is that you could bring food and snacks to the pool area..i like that a lot.

Next to the pool is a kid/teen room called the Mirage. There were always activities going on for the kids and most of the prices were reasonable. There were video games and also a movie theater that was always playing movies. The kids really had a good time at the Mirage and didn't want to leave.

There was a walmart/Costco that was close by car. There is a cool movie theater complex with restaurants and Marriot had a complementary shuttle to this complex. I never used the shuttle but it looked convenient. We also went to an inside shopping mall that was about 5 miles away. Overall this was a great place to stay and all the staff was friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Randy817

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here with a group of 3 friends for Coachella Music Festival. After a long flight from London and a drive from LA, we checked in around 9pm. The staff were friendly and it didn't take us long before we were in our lovely apartment.

We had a one bed apartment between 4, so two shared the soft bed which was big and comfortable. The bedroom was huge too and there were two separate sink/bathroom areas, with one inside the bedroom and one separate. The kitchen was well equipped although we didn't use it much. The only thing that wasn't quite right in the room was the air conditioning - it was freezing in the lounge but hot in the bedroom. We experimented with keeping doors open or closed but it still never evened out. We asked for another quilt for the sofa bed, as they only had a sheet and thin blanket, but were told they didn't have any which was quite unfair (and rather astonishing in a resort of that size). We ended up using the quilt from the main bed on the sofa bed, as they were right under the air con unit, and just having the sheet on the main bed as it was always hotter in the bedroom.

The patio area (we were on the ground floor) was great with a stunning view. We sat there each morning watching the various animals and birds come and go.

The staff at the Marriott were helpful, and when we asked for things for the room that they could actually find (more towels etc. rather than an extra quilt which they couldn't find) they sorted it out quickly and we always got a follow up call to ensure it was done.

Luckily we had a car, so driving to a nearby cafe for breakfast wasn't a problem. We went to Sherman's Deli most mornings, recommended by the desk staff, which is a 10 minute drive away, and the food and staff there were great. Absolutely massive portions (everything you order comes with a bagel, spreads and fruit) and great mimosas to start the day!

The pool area was decent, always plenty of sun loungers in the sun or in the shade. The pool was a nice temperature and always clean. The bar staff were friendly, but the drinks and food were (unsurprisingly) pretty expensive. The spinach salad was the only vaguely healthy thing on the menu and was pretty tasty.

All in all it was a good base for the music festival, and nice to come back to somewhere clean and comfortable after a day in the desert. However, I'm not sure I would stay here for a normal vacation unless I decide to take up golf! I dislike having to drive everywhere, and not being able to walk into the town or down the road for a quick bite to eat is pretty frustrating (as a European who is used to walking everywhere). But I guess that says more about the US in general!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ic060
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the six or seventh stay here and I always enjoy it. The guys at the golf center are always friendly and knowledgeable. They took great care of us again on this trip. This is a Nick Faldo designed course and the greens fees were only $32. The two bedroom two bath condo is very spacious and easily accommodated two couples with children.

Temecula, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have been vacationing at this property for over 10 years and felt it was a like a second home. We would BBQ, sit by pool play with our children, hang out in cabanas with a ice cold adult beverage and enjoy family time. NOW that has all changed and all you hear is NO. This is what you will encounter at the new and "improved" Marriott's Shadow Ridge, Palm Dessert as fees go up....NO easy check-in...check-in is always unorganized & confusing, NO more cabanas, umbrellas & personal shade covers allowed at the pool, NO more coolers with ice cold adult beverages. "loss prevention" guys with walkie talkies in red shirts searching everything inch of cooler. Is it ever going to get any better you ask?....unfortunately NO. :( bye bye Marriott Shadow Ridge.

Room Tip: First level floors on golf course are nice for families. 3rd level rooms great for views.
4 Thank Darrin Michelle B
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Shadow Ridge. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.
Escondido, California
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Second visit to Marriott's Shadow Ridge, The Villages. Last visit was Memorial Weekend in 2011 and on that occasion, we liked the resort quite a bit, but had some annoying customer service issues. What we did remember was really enjoying the pools and since we were headed out to the desert to hit up the RockYard show at Fantasy Springs this weekend, we figured we'd stay at Shadow Ridge and get some more pool time in! We used our Vacation Club points so it worked out great to book two weekend nights in a studio for 450 points. I did search online and it looked like you could also book that for about $135 a night for this weekend, which is pretty cheap for a resort of this caliber, but I assume it's a summer in the desert thing.

We arrived late on Friday night, checked in at 7:30 which went really well. What I loved is that Marriott asks you in advance if you want to request any preferences. In this case, I actually knew that I wanted to be in a room as close to the main pool as possible (so I could run back and forth to make drinks as needed!) and I always prefer the highest floor for the good views and less lurkers around your doors and windows. In this case, I got both requests fulfilled. VERY refreshing after out St. Thomas fiasco when my request due to medical needs was completely ignored, so kudos Shadow Ridge for that and thank you.

We got settled into our room which was clean and ready for us, and the balcony was clean and had a nice view of the golf course and a pond below us where we could watch the ducks and bunnies. We had a mini kitchenette, with a small refrigerator, a small sink, a microwave, coffee maker and toaster. We laughed because the bathroom was bigger than the kitchen, but it was great for our short two night stay. Also, free wi-fi, with code. The only negative is you dn't have an ice maker in the studio rooms because of the small refrigerator and the icemaker in our building 1400 did not work properly and was 95% of the time, empty. That sucked having to go to another building to get ice.

That night after we returned from dinner, we headed over to the Enclaves pool, to check out the jacuzzi. It pretty much was exactly the same as last time and we had one of the jacuzzis all to ourselves. There were a few kids playing in the pool and we went in their briefly, but all of the pools and jacuzzis over there were cloudy and dirty. Also, there was no one handing out towels! Not good. Marriott needs to get this towel thing figured out because it is pushing my buttons.

On Saturday, our plan was to hang at the main pool all day and that's exactly what we did, from 10-4. When we arrived at 10am, almost ALL of the chairs that were in the shade were gone, we nabbed, two of the last four! Of course, there were lots of nice people saving many chairs for people who never showed or didn't show for hours, but I'm not whining or anything. I was disappointed to see that they have removed the cabanas from the main pool, but I do understand that they did so because they are installing covers that will allow many more people to get shaded from the crazy hot desert sun.

With exception of some annoying people at the pool, we had a great time. One thing we learned is that while you can bring in a cooler, you cannot bring alcohol into the pool - they say it's for safety, but we all know it's because they have a bar there and they want to make money. I really didn't like that.... as owners, you should be able to bring your own drinks and food, etc. You can easily get around that rule by bringing your drinks in cups. Yea for Tervis! I made us some delicious rum drinks that we brought in our own cups. It's a bad rule and very rude. It would be nice if they spent more time doing chair checks so that people can have a place to sit at the pool, but they really don't do that much unless you complain. I saw them do it at 1pm... a little late, but whatever.

I do like that they have servers that bring you food and drink from the bar & grill, we ordered buffalo chicken strips and they were tasty and HUGE portions for $10! The server was friendly and would bring waters around for people without even being asked.

It was a nice day at the pool, but the water was REALLY dirty. I would go in the jacuzzi after the pool just so I could rinse off!

The only negative for me was that we happened to be in a room under some extremely loud people. I'm assuming it was a roomful of kids because they were running and jumping all over the room until after 1am. I finally called the front desk and they sent security over and at 1:30 they finally quieted down. Two nights of that was rough on the sleep. I hate to complain, because I get that they are on vacation, too, but I'm getting old... I need my beauty rest!

We had a nice time, the resort is really nice. I didn't even mention the pool with the water slide because that thing was even MORE full of kids than the main pool! But, it's a nice way to spend a summer day, especially since I don't have a pool at home! We'll be back, but next time, we might try out the neighboring Marriott Desert Villas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladyjadegd
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We spent 4 days and had a wonderful time. My only issue was the cleanliness of the pools. If you get there first thing the pools are clear and sparkly but after a few hours they are cloudy and look gross. It was a busy weekend with a lot of people but still they shouldn't look that bad. We actually chose not to swim because they looked so bad:(

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Cvenawinn
torrance
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Golf early and swim late to beat the heat of the day. Lots of on site activities for adults and children. Studio, One, Two bedroom condos. The condos are fully equiped and can handle adults only or families.

The 18 hole championship golf course is great and not overly priced, spend an hour on tour to learn more about the vacation opportunities and get a couple of rounds on the course. Several pool options to choose from including a quite pool. There are tennis cours, volleyball in sand, and basket ball.

There is a great onsite resturant as well as a mini market. Access to other Marriott propeties in the area.

Whether a quick getaway or a full week you will enjoy the Shadow Ridge. There is a shuttle bus to take you around the property.

Room Tip: Try for a course view room or if you want to be near a pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!