“Really Nice Resort and Friendly Staff. Family Oriented Resort.”

Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Escondido, California
“Really Nice Resort and Friendly Staff. Family Oriented Resort.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Second visit to Marriott's Shadow Ridge, The Villages. Last visit was Memorial Weekend in 2011 and on that occasion, we liked the resort quite a bit, but had some annoying customer service issues. What we did remember was really enjoying the pools and since we were headed out to the desert to hit up the RockYard show at Fantasy Springs this weekend, we figured we'd stay at Shadow Ridge and get some more pool time in! We used our Vacation Club points so it worked out great to book two weekend nights in a studio for 450 points. I did search online and it looked like you could also book that for about $135 a night for this weekend, which is pretty cheap for a resort of this caliber, but I assume it's a summer in the desert thing.

We arrived late on Friday night, checked in at 7:30 which went really well. What I loved is that Marriott asks you in advance if you want to request any preferences. In this case, I actually knew that I wanted to be in a room as close to the main pool as possible (so I could run back and forth to make drinks as needed!) and I always prefer the highest floor for the good views and less lurkers around your doors and windows. In this case, I got both requests fulfilled. VERY refreshing after out St. Thomas fiasco when my request due to medical needs was completely ignored, so kudos Shadow Ridge for that and thank you.

We got settled into our room which was clean and ready for us, and the balcony was clean and had a nice view of the golf course and a pond below us where we could watch the ducks and bunnies. We had a mini kitchenette, with a small refrigerator, a small sink, a microwave, coffee maker and toaster. We laughed because the bathroom was bigger than the kitchen, but it was great for our short two night stay. Also, free wi-fi, with code. The only negative is you dn't have an ice maker in the studio rooms because of the small refrigerator and the icemaker in our building 1400 did not work properly and was 95% of the time, empty. That sucked having to go to another building to get ice.

That night after we returned from dinner, we headed over to the Enclaves pool, to check out the jacuzzi. It pretty much was exactly the same as last time and we had one of the jacuzzis all to ourselves. There were a few kids playing in the pool and we went in their briefly, but all of the pools and jacuzzis over there were cloudy and dirty. Also, there was no one handing out towels! Not good. Marriott needs to get this towel thing figured out because it is pushing my buttons.

On Saturday, our plan was to hang at the main pool all day and that's exactly what we did, from 10-4. When we arrived at 10am, almost ALL of the chairs that were in the shade were gone, we nabbed, two of the last four! Of course, there were lots of nice people saving many chairs for people who never showed or didn't show for hours, but I'm not whining or anything. I was disappointed to see that they have removed the cabanas from the main pool, but I do understand that they did so because they are installing covers that will allow many more people to get shaded from the crazy hot desert sun.

With exception of some annoying people at the pool, we had a great time. One thing we learned is that while you can bring in a cooler, you cannot bring alcohol into the pool - they say it's for safety, but we all know it's because they have a bar there and they want to make money. I really didn't like that.... as owners, you should be able to bring your own drinks and food, etc. You can easily get around that rule by bringing your drinks in cups. Yea for Tervis! I made us some delicious rum drinks that we brought in our own cups. It's a bad rule and very rude. It would be nice if they spent more time doing chair checks so that people can have a place to sit at the pool, but they really don't do that much unless you complain. I saw them do it at 1pm... a little late, but whatever.

I do like that they have servers that bring you food and drink from the bar & grill, we ordered buffalo chicken strips and they were tasty and HUGE portions for $10! The server was friendly and would bring waters around for people without even being asked.

It was a nice day at the pool, but the water was REALLY dirty. I would go in the jacuzzi after the pool just so I could rinse off!

The only negative for me was that we happened to be in a room under some extremely loud people. I'm assuming it was a roomful of kids because they were running and jumping all over the room until after 1am. I finally called the front desk and they sent security over and at 1:30 they finally quieted down. Two nights of that was rough on the sleep. I hate to complain, because I get that they are on vacation, too, but I'm getting old... I need my beauty rest!

We had a nice time, the resort is really nice. I didn't even mention the pool with the water slide because that thing was even MORE full of kids than the main pool! But, it's a nice way to spend a summer day, especially since I don't have a pool at home! We'll be back, but next time, we might try out the neighboring Marriott Desert Villas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladyjadegd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We spent 4 days and had a wonderful time. My only issue was the cleanliness of the pools. If you get there first thing the pools are clear and sparkly but after a few hours they are cloudy and look gross. It was a busy weekend with a lot of people but still they shouldn't look that bad. We actually chose not to swim because they looked so bad:(

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Cvenawinn
torrance
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Golf early and swim late to beat the heat of the day. Lots of on site activities for adults and children. Studio, One, Two bedroom condos. The condos are fully equiped and can handle adults only or families.

The 18 hole championship golf course is great and not overly priced, spend an hour on tour to learn more about the vacation opportunities and get a couple of rounds on the course. Several pool options to choose from including a quite pool. There are tennis cours, volleyball in sand, and basket ball.

There is a great onsite resturant as well as a mini market. Access to other Marriott propeties in the area.

Whether a quick getaway or a full week you will enjoy the Shadow Ridge. There is a shuttle bus to take you around the property.

Room Tip: Try for a course view room or if you want to be near a pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Shadow Ridge for 5 days in Villa 2807 over Memorial Day. We loved every minute of our stay. So much that we return on June 30th for an 8 day stay. We even asked for the same villa by the quiet pool. It's a family style resort but the quiet pool was reserved for adults that want to escape the kids. We went downtown to Peabody's in a cab and had a great evening. All the stores you need are literally around the corner and it's nice to hear nothing but silence and the wind in the evening. R & K, Richardson, TX

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Orange County
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

We opted for a little room for our family of four instead of the Villa which is beautiful. This place has a kid zone where they can make crafts and play video games or read a book or play a boardgame. It also has three amazing pools, one comes with a water slide. We typically stay at a courtyard in Palm Desert but this was definitely worth the extra money! Make sure if you go on a weekend to get to the pool early to reserve a beach chair because they do a chair check every 30 minutes and the pool gets busy!

• Stayed May 2013
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2013

As I checked out at @ 8:00 AM on 6/12, I mentioned to the young lady at the desk that the coffee maker in the room needed to be checked since it seemed not to be working. She noted and then took me around the corner to the coffee stand and had then gave me a complimentary Starbuck coffee. This was most certainly a WOW moment and I look forward to my next stay at The Village!

Room Tip: The pull out couches are very comfortable!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013

That's right folks. New rules. No alcohol at the pools. ...but wait, what are all those people buying at the bar? ALCOHOL! But no, YOU are not allowed to bring ANY of your own. Nope. Not even cans! Walkie talkie, badge wielding guys in red shirts giving shake-downs of peoples coolers isn't cool. Especially when so many adults are simply enjoying the family-like atmosphere, like we are, and being very responsible (like adults should). Here's a crazy thought, pay those same guys to spot people getting out of hand and ask them to leave. You'd likely get applause from the hundreds of RESPONSIBLE people there! Instead, responsible parents have to explain to there kids why the "cops" were talking to them and asking them to leave!

...Here's another crazy thought: Although I was there with my family and 20 other families from my kids school. We're not coming back. Too many other choices. Buh bye!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank 51BrianJ
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Marriott's Shadow Ridge due to the alcohol policy at the pool. The resort does offer food and beverage options at the pool and also has a alcohol beverage license that would be in jeopardy by allowing guests to consume their own alcoholic beverages without any controls. Most guests prefer to purchase beverages at the pool vs. bringing their own cooler so the policy will not change.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!