“Bunny Rabbits everywhere.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Sydney, Australia
“Bunny Rabbits everywhere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at Shadow Ridge. The rooms were super comfortable and makes us feel at home because all the Marriott time share rooms we book are similar around the USA. If you love golf like me, this is the place to stay. If you love having fun by the pool, this is the place to stay. We also enjoyed the surrounding areas, Factory outlets, Indian Canyon. Table tennis and mini golf were the other facilities we used.

I must say that the service was beyond expectation. Staff were exceedingly helpful in every way. I played 18 Holes at Shadow ridge and the service I received was amazing. I left my wallet in the bedside drawer at the hotel after checking out and driving for 30 minutes we had to turn around and get it. The Marriott staff made sure we got it!

Our room had a view of the Shadow Ridge golf club fairway. Our kids made a bunny watch station in front of our window because there were rabbits everywhere. Very entertaining for my 6 year old.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Petaluma, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great desert escape. Loved the water fowl and the ponds. Great food around the pool. Great villas, bright & clean. Staff is obviously trained in manners: they all waive, say hello and they all wear smiles!!

• Stayed April 2013
Chilliwack
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Suites were well laid out to afford privacy for everyone. We overlooked the golf course and all the rooms had balconies. The pools and amenities were within walking distance. A good set up and a great time.

Room Tip: East facing rooms would give you morning sun if you like to coffee or breakfast on the balconies.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

After reading reviews online about check-in/check-out issues, I do not expect to be accommodated for early check-in/check-outs in all Marriott resorts any longer. So it’s quite good news when our room was ready hours before check –in time. Our room was a lock-out unit; King bed with pull-out sofa. We were given a handicapped room so I’m thinking - space wise, it is somewhat more spacious than a regular lock out rooms. No complaint on our rooms, it’s clean and equipped with mini fridge, microwave and small kitchenette with plates, glasses and utensils. Our room had a small little veranda but we really didn’t use it due to the hot weather. We requested to be close to the kids activity center or kids pool/slide and were accommodated. My Marriott preference always state top floors so I regret not asking to be on the first floor on this trek, mainly bec. the walk to our room from the elevator was a challenge esp. upon loading and unloading time (Again, maybe it’s the heat – not Marriott’s fault).

To be quite honest, our room here was nothing compared to the villa we just visited in Marriott Newport Coast Villa. For a little more in price, we could have stayed in Newport again but alas, we wanted to try out another Marriott resort.

We visited and stayed here for 2 nights and had fun. No question about that. However, the heat - 107 degrees was just not comfortable to do anything else outside but dip in the pool. The pool side we frequented was across the street from our apartment, bldg. 1600. The F and H pool area (don’t know the name, sorry) was of course a great reprieve; water was clean, nice and cool. The pool slide was super fun. My toddler loves it to the max. It’s perfect size for adult, as well as for toddlers who braves it like my son. The lifeguards are super friendly, patient and encouraging to the little ones who are having second thoughts in going down the slide by themselves. Eventually, my 3 yrs. old son went down the water slide by himself – again and again. The water on the slide pool was a bit cloudy but warmer than the big pool. The kiddie pool was also nice and clean but my son was not interested to linger there. Splash zone was a good idea and would have been fun had the water been temp controlled; the water that splashes out is super cold. I mean, really cold. No wonder why I don’t see anyone playing over there. My son hates it. Basically, we just run through it – just too cold (even on 107 degrees weather) to linger. The Jacuzzi was also clean and of good use when the cold pool water starts to get to us. We had lunch on the snack bar by the pool and they serve pretty good finger foods. The line was just a bit too much to tackle esp. during the peak hours. I am unfortunate to report that albeit the pool water was clean, the surrounding pool area was not. There was lots of waste everywhere like pizza boxes, wrappers and etc. I fault the guests for not cleaning after themselves, really. There were also ants everywhere. I got bitten in my eyelid, which was uncomfortable to say the least. I’m glad I’m not allergic to ants! But glad it was me and not my son.

Mini golf range was fun but couldn't stay long again due to the heat. The kid’s activity center was neat but the activities they have like the blocks, crayons, markers, Lego, WII and etc are the activities we already have at home so my son was not really much into it. He prefers to go outdoors but again the heat was just too much. But I give kudos to their colorful activity center. Fun décor and well kept. I also noted that there was 3 staffs in there, they were talking to each other but never approached us or other kids in the center. But once we approached them, they were friendly and willing to give directions.

The resort itself was beautiful. This place would be great for avid golfers. Lots of nice greens here; well maintained. We were not able to explore the resort like we wanted, mainly because of the heat.

I was surprise by the towel cards the resort appointed to us. They gave us 4 cards, 1 card gives you 2 towels. You couldn't get more towels unless you return the previous 2. I’m not use to this policy; all of the resorts or hotels I’ve visited do not have towel cards. I was informed that this is so they do not run out of towels for everybody. At check out, I will need to return those cards or they will charge me 25 dollars per card. Basically, we will have to watch for our towels and make sure it is accounted for; heaven forbid we misplace it or worst, someone snags it! And don't lose that card either. I’m not quite sure if they really enforce this $25 per towel card policy. I'm not use to checking out at the counter either. Usually, I just leave when it's time to leave or if I’m ready but because I have to return the towel cards, I had to drive up to the registration again just to check out, which is usually a hassle with toddler in tow. But this time, it was actually alright - we visited the Dylan's candy shop which was overpriced but fun to look at. And yes, we ended up buying gummy bears for 20bucks and a bucket of sweet and sour wormies for $15! We also picked up some cranberry bagels with cream cheese and fresh fruit juices at the market place. Again, overprice but hey, it's expected in all resorts, I'm thinking.

I’m actually in a dilemma between 3 stars or 4 stars rating for this resort. It’s overall, a 3.5 stars rating. I don’t think I would mind coming back here again if the weather was much nicer than 107 degrees (which, again, is not Marriott’s fault). However, I also would want to visit the JW Marriott Resort and 2 more Marriott resorts in the area first.

Room Tip: If you have children, request 1600 bldg. Close to the kids activity center and kids pool/slide.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
seattle, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had a fantastic time at this resort. We rented two adjoining suites for a family of 5. We were perfectly located across from the pool and with a pond behind our room. We spent every morning on our patio for breakfast and a good portion of our days at the pool. The resort location was perfect for our needs. There are many stores and restaurants nearby and we used the full kitchen for at least one meal each day. I loved having a washer and dryer in the room. There were enough beds and televisions so the kids didn't fight (much). We plan to come back to the same spot next year.

There were only 2 small issues that I would point out to travelers. The first is that the card keys kept failing. I don't know if that is where I stored them in my purse but it was irritating. Thank goodness a call from the phone outside the room had security arriving in less than 5 minutes. The second is that the restaurant on site is expensive and terrible. There are lots of other choices nearby so we found other options after our first visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 1400 almost directly behind the pool. There was a pond behind our room and so...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Great place. Had a 2 bedroom unit which was beautiful, spacious, and well maintained. The resort was not particularly busy so we enjoyed the 'quiet pool' every day. There are at least 5 pools on the site so I think there is room for everyone no matter how busy it gets. You need a car in Palm Desert just because everything is so spread out. Just a great experience and we ill make this place a regular stop every winter or spring.

Room Tip: The 2700-2900 blocks are close to 4 of the 5 pools and a long way from the construction
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Media, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We love staying at the Shadow Ridge resort even though we own in the Enclaves. We have gone 5 or 6 time the week before Easter. SR units are roomier than the Enclaves and you're not faced with the pool noise.
We do many day activities but also spend time at the pool. All of our units have always been clean and well-equipped. I've always been able to get the building and view I want, even at that busy time of year. The staff at check in are always great and accommodating. We make use of the discount card several times during our week at outside restaurants. Haven't been to Nick Faldo's Grill for years. Prefer other places off property. There has been a welcome change with an increase in activities offered. This last March visit we travelled with another couple and wanted to show them around the Coachella Valley, so we didn't plan to do any activities, but I look forward to it next year (already got our confirmation).
I am in love with the beds and bedding and always sleep so well at SR.
Yes, the pool gets crowded, but we are usually able to get spots after 2 or 3 o'clock. Then we enjoy a drink from the pool bar to prime us for our happy hour on the spacious balcony of our unit.
This time, since we reserved two separate units, one of them was a corner unit. Next time I'll avoid that because it was a tad smaller than the other one which out friends occupied.
I guess each person's expectation is different, but I've never felt like anything but special as a guest at he Marriott shadow Ridge with clean, comfortable units and spectacular mountain views.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 stars 800 reviews
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!