“It should have been better...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages

Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Williamsburg, Virginia
“It should have been better...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I hate to look a gift horse in the month but I expected more. I thought this was a resort. I thought I was staying at a condo. I thought this would be a luxurious place. Sadly it was not. Think of it more of a large Fairfield Inn. Sure the grounds are nice but vast without any real aim. The club house was nice as was the fitness center. The pools were ok but not resort quality. The room was the biggest downfall. I had a studio. The bed was nice it dominated the room, but no desk. It did have a sofa but no coffee table. Over all the room was sparse at best.

I came to play golf but this course is very overpriced. There are much more reasonable courses in the area. I recommend them (see my other reviews). You can play them 2x for a the cost of a round here. This type of place maybe your cup of tea but it was not mine...

Room Tip: avoid the studios!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oldensign

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Santa Clara, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We just got back from a great trip to Palm Springs, and I'm sorry to say, our 3 night stay at Shadow Ridge was the 'low point' of this trip.

It started at check-in, when the receptionist couldn't (or wouldn't) find one of the two reservations I booked 3 months in advance. I booked two efficiency suites as we were traveling with my parents. The first reservation was made through Interval Intl. This is the one she found. The second reservation was made with rewards points. When I tried to explain this to the receptionist she told me that it was 'impossible' to make a reservation with reward points since this was a Time-Share and that I was probably 'confuse' with another Marriott Hotel in the area. She actually sent us to another hotel 5 minutes away, without even checking with them. She never offered any kind of help in trying to figure out confusion. Never offered me another room either.

We are Marriott owners and we have exchanged many times before, so we knew that she was wrong. We went to the bedroom and tried to look up the reservation number from our Marriott acc. It took us sometime since 'just that night' the Marriott web-site was 'unavailable'. Eventually, we found out both numbers and confirmed that both the reservations were at the Marriott SR. So we went back to the front desk, and another person (the girl wasn't there anymore, of course) was able to find the other reservation (easily). It took more than an hour to sort this out, and we made all of the work, without getting any kind of compensation offered.

In all, the resort looks gorgeous: beautiful landscaping, impressive entrance, luxurious lobby. The bedrooms are OK, the housekeeping could be better, the pools are well maintained and big enough (at least for this time of the year - I think they get overcrowded during summer time). There is an activity center that looks pretty cool for little kids, cinema, bike rentals, board games, and maybe more, we just didn't have enough time to look.

I guess We were really looking forward to this trip, but this first experience really putted us down.

A couple of minor things to add, which we would probably have overlooked if it weren't for this are:

- Pool location: the resort is pretty big, to much. We needed to take a car to get to the pool, and there was not enough parking space around it.
- Restaurants: the brochure shows 5 different restaurants, but they were close after 3:00 pm.
- Marketplace: very small, very overpriced, and understaffed. It holds an Starbucks, but it is attended by the same person that looks after the store, so expect long line for you coffee.
- Free activities: beware, do not expect much of these. On Sundays they offered free coffee and doughnuts during the resort presentation. By 8:15 am expect no doughnuts and cold coffee.
- Bedrooms: Very average, and very thin walls. We were entertained by our neighbors coughing all night.

I think we will return to Palm Springs, but not to Shadow Ridge.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room close to the activity center, and on the second floor.
4 Thank Susan B
Chester, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This property should get an excellent rating. I booked a 1200 sq foot room as per the website with a Nick Faldo golf vacation. When I got there, they had me in an 800 sq foot single room with a separate studio guest suite. When I asked them where my 2 bedroom was, they said the part of the property with the golf school defined a 2 bedroom as what I had, not what they hotel/Faldo website said. After tons of emails, 3 phone calls -- they finally refunded my money for the upgrade but I tell you it was like pulling teeth. Buyer beware. As far as the rest of the property, fantastic. Excellent tennis and golf instruction and the pools were wonderful. Not my usual type of vacation but a nice break.

Room Tip: Go figure. Call them to see what you are really getting!!!!
1 Thank ohdoggy
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Before I start! Have been coming here since 2007.
Come into suite (2545/46) & dried up food in room that was never cleaned up - in 2 different locations stuck unto the carpet.
Then no internet as promised. Called 5 times to "At your Service" & requested a Manager after the 2nd call. Mgr's. to busy, on the phone or away from their desk AND NO CALL BACK reeived. After the 6th call over 10 days got a mgr. Gabrielle who was close to her quitting time & said she would pass on the problems to anothe mgr Patrick just coming on duty. He had no idea.
Finally went to front desk & demanded to see a manager & I spoke with Michael Estrada & he did everything to make us comfortable, getting us another suite, ensuring someone there to help in the move & then following up with us EXCELLENT!!
It really is a shame because the amenities here ARE 5 Star. Time for some staff training especially their housekeeping.

Room Tip: Try for rooms farther from Monteray Ave.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jerrayatric1
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have stayed here twice. And this last time will probably be the last. The reason is not that this isn't one of the most beautiful resort/time share areas in Palm Desert or the fact that the units themselves aren't nicely furnished and updated. The reason is that this is a time share and as a non-owner guest, I don't think you are treated in the same manner. My beef is mostly about the check-in and check-out process. Both times we had difficulty getting our room in a timely manner. The first time, we arrived around 3pm and were told our room was not ready and that check-in was at 4pm. We go back at 4pm and we are told it is still not ready and that check-in "starts" at 4pm. We finally got our room at 6:30pm and it totally messed up our dinner reservations. This time we arrived at 4:30pm and were told the room was not ready again! The issue appears to be that if you own a unit, you can late check out until 4pm so they need time to clean up the villas. This is a good point to know if you stay here. They don't tell you that in their brochures of course. Okay so knowing they allow check out, we wanted to late check out ourselves but only until 1pm. Nope. We were told that we could not and had to be out of the room by 11am. So here is the short thing to know. You are paying decent money to stay here, but you might not get your room until 6:30pm in our case, but you have to be out of there by 11am the next day. So basically, they'll rip you off on the check in and then not give anything back on check out. You cannot even have the room for 24 hours. It truly is by night.

The other thing for people with Marriot status, be aware that your status does not mean anything in these vacation resorts. Not good or bad, just something else to know.

So that all said, the resort is beautiful and the units are nice and once you are checked in and everything, it is a nice place to stay. I just think they operations themselves regarding check in and check out need to be greatly improved.

2 Thank Phoenixroby
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I thought this would be typical Marriott quality, but it's not. I stayed only one night and did not get around the resort, so I can't comment about anything other than the room. Nice looking resort, and the lobby makes you think it'll be fine, but the building I was in, 1600, is more like a motel. Exterior hallways with cement floors, and paper thin walls. I could hear noise from more than one nearby room at 11:00 at night. The room is large, but feels cheap. Smallish TV, cheap hair dryer, low quality toiletries. There are probably better places nearby in this price range.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Broomy57
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Shadow Ridge. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our third time at Shadow Ridge. My big bugbear, after many years at the Westin Mission Hills, is that the Bareques are communal and involve a good hike from most units, rather than being on our own balcony. They are also older units that take 20 minutes to heat up and they cool down in 5 minutes. The lighting is also lousy. This may seem a small thing, but when you are alone trying to do justice to a nice Prime cut with a very sub-prime barbecue and are away from the unit for 40 minutes to cook a steak, it gets to you after a while. The rooms are pretty good. We have had o bedroom and lock offs and they are both not bad, of their types. Certainly the lock offs are a huge amount better than thos at the Marriott Desert Springs.

We booked a room close to the adult pool and got a middle floor room in the 2800 block, very close by. The check in clerk was keen to point ths out and we were very pleased. What was not pointed it was that 2 days later thy closed it for maintenance and the next pool was a fair hike away. Nice humour, but not my style.

Room Tip: Buildings 2700, 2800, 2900 are ideal for the adult pool. However, make sure it is open!
1 Thank Coylum
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!