“Stay in 2900-3000 for quiet” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Toronto
“Stay in 2900-3000 for quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is my 4th stay at Shadow Ridge but 1st review. I travel alone or with 1 other person and we like quiet. I stayed in the Enclaves once but prefer the 2900 or 3000 bldg since they're very close to the quiet pool. Even on the weekend when families head off to the main pool, the 3000 pool stays relatively clean and quiet. Staff have always been very helpful. I actually got a pre-noon check-in due to the resort not being very busy in early September due to the heat (100F)
The villas look onto the golf course and the entry walkway faces the mountains. If you get the 3rd floor, you get the sunrise from your bed in the AM and a sunset on your walk back to your room after a day at the pool.

Room Tip: 3rd floor -center of the building has best views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Leander, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed over labor day weekend for a quick getaway. We used points so we didn't have to pay for the room. Our room was in the 1500 building which is the prime location next to the main pool with the waterslide. I was worried it might be noisy, but the noise from the pool didn't bother us and the view of the golf course was nice. My little one thoroughly enjoyed seeing the bunnies and ducks from our patio. The room was clean enough and the kitchen was well stocked with all the necessary dishes for fixing our meals. For us and 3 kids, it was very roomy in our 2 bedroom villa. With it being so hot, I was worried the water in the pools would be uncomfortably warm but it wasn't. My only complaint is that the furniture in the family room was not very comfy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oak View, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Can't beat the pool area. It has it all from cabanas, water slide,kid and adult activities, food & drinks, live music, infinity pools. But you need to be in the 1400 or 1500 bldg or it's a hike to get there. There are some smaller, quieter pools on the property too if that's what you're looking for. Rooms are all great, beds comfy and the restaurant serves a nice meal.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

First let me describe myself, I stayed over 70 nights last year with Marriott. And will beat that number this year. So needless to say, I am a very loyal and profitable customer for them. I asked for an early check-in, it's not an unusual request, they have a box on their website to ask for it. We arrived at the resort at about 11:00. While I didn't expect it to be available then, I did think that given my status, they would try to get my room ready a soon a s possible. Needless to say. My kids and I who would have liked to enjoy the pool on our only day there (check out time is 10:00 AM, so forget any time tomorrow either) spent the day driving around Palm Springs waiting for a call that our room was ready. It is now almost 4:00 PM and still waiting for a call!!!!!! First thing tomorrow, I'm sending the corporate office a letter asking if this is they way their hotels should be treating their BEST customers?!! Update, at 4:05, I returned and asked what was up with our room. They apologized, and said "give us 5 minutes and we'll be out with your keys, they are just finishing up your room." finally, at 4:30, we got our keys. We arrived at the room at 4:40 filled with three people still cleaning. It took them until after 5:00 to finish. At 5:20, a lady showed up at the door with several items in her hands and stated, I need to come in a to put a few things back in your room. At 5:30, the room was finally done! They agreed to give us till Noon the following day to check out!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Frequentstayer1212
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for 10 days in July, which was our third stay at this resort. We had previously stayed in October and the resort was much more busy it being summer. Generally this resort is clean and comfortable. The pool water seemed to be much more turbid than what we saw in October due to the pool being jam packed for most of the day - that being said neither my daughter nor I had ear infection trouble at all despite many hours in the pool each day (we usually get a touch of swimmer's ear on our pool/ocean holidays). After about a week in the desert heat we started to go for early evening swims that were very refreshing and it was nice that the pools stayed open late.

The pools were so busy that at times it was hard to get a patio lounger. A complaint I have related to this is that access to the resort is possible through the gate with a numerical access code in addition to the room cards. We heard that many locals show up to use the pool as they were able to get this access code. It does not seem fair to be a paying customer that has to compete with non-paying customers who use up loungers, towels and parking spots.

Considering we booked via a timeshare getaway and got a great price, we would certainly come back under similiar circumstances. However, if I were paying regular room rates I would certainly shop around to ensure that you are getting a competitive rate.

Room Tip: There are rooms available that have received updated decor and appliances, but otherwise the old and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pacific Palisades. Ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I were given a time share. So we came to the Marriott Shadow Ridge to check out Time share style vacationing. The property is relatively new. It is extremely large. You need a car. We stayed in the 3000 building in a 2 bedroom condo. The drive back to the front gate is about a mile. No exaggeration. They have 3 pool areas. 2 with grill cafes. Swim diapers for children are strictly enforced. The third pool is a quiet pool, predominately adults. We stayed near the quiet pool. The other areas close to the large pools, are noisier. This area was quiet. We stayed in our unit most of the time. It was 105 degrees and humid outside. The interior of the unit is well appointed. Everything needed in kitchen. Washer/ dryer also. 2 dressing vanities with sinks in master suite. Units have DVD players. The bedding is tempupedic style. I thought the mattress was a little to firm for me. We had a toliet back up and a bathtub faucet that would not turn off ,so we required a plumber during our stay. It's unfortunate people allow there children to flush anything down the toliets and they don't report problems. So the next guest has to deal with the issues. The sofa in the guest room as a nasty looking milk stain on it. Check out time is 10AM sharp. If you linger? there is a $100 per hour overage charge. Wow! Overall we were comfortable and relaxed here . We also came, at a time of year where most children are back in school.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, stay near the quiet pool at the back of the property. Children are not allowed to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DReese
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

My family was very pleased with the property. The room was very nice - I would probably go again, but not likely on a weekend. The weekend was too crowded and hot hot hot, so the pool was loud and not very clean. They can't control how much sunscreen washes into the pool.

The staff at the enclaves pool was not helpful getting towels. If they have to close the windows then they should put a note explaining to customers that they have to knock. The Enclaves fitness center is tiny and not very well equipped.

The "quiet pool" in the villas is very very nice, epecially in the evenings. I was glad we were not in the Enclaves as all the rooms seemed to overlook the noise of the pool. Some people might prefer that, but we wanted quiet and got it. Trade off was we had to drive to the pool instead of a 10-20 min walk in the desert heat. And having to sign out a towel so the minivan seats wouldn't get wet from a bathing suit was a little annoying. But the quiet made it worthwhile.

We used the outdoor grill one night and had trouble starting it - finally I switched to one that another guest had just finished using.

I enjoy reading reviews of what people cook in the kichens - it gives me an idea how functional the kitchen is, and it was easy to make pasta/garlic bread one night, another night was a frozen pizza and salad, another was steak/rice/veggies. Plenty of room to put a whole watermelon in the fridge, which was a great treat coming out of the heat. It was also fun making milkshakes. There was tupperware for us to pack a salad and sandwiches for the picnic excursion to Joshua Tree.

Activities for younger teens was limited - they liked the pool but the choice of movies by the pool was too baby-ish. Staff could better explain that activities like Bingo are designed for 4 year-olds, since they run it so slow.

It would be nicer if at least one of the bedrooms had a DVD player - the 2 bedroom suite was roomy but with only 1 DVD player we all had to cram around the living room TV, and all watch the same thing. The room was large enough to fit us but we had to bring in a chair from the other room.

Business center was not working for most of our stay. I ended up going to the local library 20 min away to use the internet. When I asked about a few things, the staff could have volunteered directions, but they must assume everyone has GPS. Other vacation properties do little things like that.

I was surprised that even though I was a rental guest on my first visit, they never once offered me a sales pitch tour of the property. Maybe they are all sold, or they figure that with the great rate we were on during off-peak period, we wouldn't be interested. I would think that if I asked I might have been able to get a tour, but maybe they weren't doing any tours because there was no restaurant open.

I was shocked to see the prices in the market store - I mean really - should a box of Apple Jacks cost ten bucks? Really? I understand/expect snacks like a candy bar being expensive, but gouging on breakfast cereal?

I understand there are a lot of other properties nearby, and I think I might try the others before I would want to come back here. Nothing terribly wrong with this, but we like to see different places. I understand from reviews of other properties that they book up quickly too, so I figure they are competitive.

This is a gated resort, but I noticed a lot of people "tailgating" or following another guest through the open gates. I got the impression that perhaps some of the weekend crowds were not all legit guests - just folks wanting to use the pools. It did not make me feel super secure. But neither did the volume of partiers drinking poolside, around little children.

Room Tip: ask for quiet, they will accomodate you!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!