“Relaxing vacation”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I saw some of the other reviews regarding cleanliness. We had two suites, and they were both clean. One of the rooms was missing the remote control. According to the staff, they recently placed an order for 100 remotes, as so many are taken from the resort. We enjoyed the pools, although the main pool gets very crowded, and if you want a seat in the shade, you will need to get there early. There is a policy about not leaving items unattended (to reserve space) for more than 30 minutes, but people don't seem to follow it. The quiet pool was nice if you aren't looking for the extra amenities, as there is no bar and grill, and no staff there. Food was pricey, but as expected for such a resort. It was disappointing to see how many people let their children run loose on the golf course, despite signs no to do so. Security did come through a few times to chase people off.

Room Tip: The main pool has music, so I imagine it might be a bit noisy in the rooms closest.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We are Marriott owners with platinum status, we travel quite a bit, and I have to confess we are biased towards high end accommodations. We booked three condos here for the week of July 4th. The units are average quality with a few unpleasant surprises - the unit was not well cleaned, there is hair in various places in the bathroom, shower doors at the bottom are moldy, the fridge door severely dented, carpets stained, etc. The unit is showing age, and the cleaning service is below expectations. The resort is huge with multiple buildings, and very popular for families with kids, so the pools will be very crowded. Definitely good for families used to it, as long as the crowding is ok for them, not a choice for an adult vacation. On the good side, the desert views are beautiful, the grounds are very nice, lots of flowers and vegetation, and the exterior arhitecture is very pretty. Unit location will make a big difference - we were assigned a ground floor next to the grilling area, not at all private, but that's just the roulette of unit assignments. There are ducks and rabbits which we fed in the morning, they come to the patio, very cute. All in one, average quality Marriott showing wear and tear, good for families as long as you are ok with crowds.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We are owners at Shadow Ridge and have probably stayed there at least 25 times. It is still our favorite family hotel. You can't beat the pool and all the activities they have at the resort. There are a couple things to note. The property including the rooms have been renovated. We loved what they did with the rooms-new furniture, new refrigerator, new washer/dryer, etc. We weren't so thrilled with the Maze renovation. It used to be a great place for teens with an indoor ping pong table, lots of video games, etc. Now it's set-up for younger children and really wasn't of interest to my teenagers. However, we still had a great time. Also, I haven't been able to check in before 4 in a long time, so don't bother trying. You might as well just leave home a little later and get there at 4. This is a great place to go as a family!

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

We have been going to Shadow Ridge for years now and it never disappoints. There is something for everyone here. From the Wii to shuffleboard. Bingo to water slides. Hot tubs to splash pads. Warm pools, warmer pools and zero entry (beach entry) pools. There is sand to play in, mini golf, ducks to feed, outdoor movies, classes, crafts, playground, BBQ's and a very nice staff.
The rooms are great...it is a Marriott. I love Marriott. You always know exactly what you are going to get. A nice, clean, spacious room.
More info http://www.onourbeatenpath.com/2012/06/ordinary-family-does-extraordinary_06.html

Room Tip: With little kids (aka tons of pool toys and a stroller) we always ask to be on the ground floor. In...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank HavKidsWilTravel
trotter13
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

I really enjoyed my two day stay at Shadow Ridge! I really didn't want to leave I would suggest stay for 3-4 nights at least. I stayed in Building 29 and it was near the quite pool. I was really relaxed the whole time I was there because of the relaxing atmosphere. The property was clean and well maintained. The quiet pool was a nice size with a good size whirlpool. I loved laying in the cabanas with the water mist to cool you off, for no additional charge. I also love no internet charge, no additional parking fee and Direct TV with a lot of channels. So the first day we went to Burgers and Beer down the street from the resort and was in the pool off and on until 11pm. Came back to my one bedroom suite that was large, full kitchen and large living room. We had a very nice time that night hanging out on the balcony enjoying the summer night. Time to go to bed and I just melted in the soft bedding, I am very particular about the bed and I just love the pillows and bedding. I slept good in the nice quiet room, in my comfy bed. There’s everything you need in the suite, to call it a home away from home. Only suggestion, they need to monitor children loud play and splashing, in the quiet pool. I don't understand why people bring 4 kids ages 5-12 in a quite pool, they aren't quite and there’s a giant children pool close walking distance. It would be nice if they made it an adult pool. I really really love my visit to Shadow Ridge and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Adult picks the quiet side....
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trotter13
Trabuco Canyon, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

If you have kids and are looking for some great family time, this is the place. Property is clean and well maintained. Several pools available to keep the crowds down.

Now If you are a couple looking for a quick getaway to relax by the pool for a day....no. Late check in times 4pm was the earliest we could get in and the early check out times, 10am make it almost impossible to enjoy much pool time if you are going for just one night. Asked for late check out and was offered, but at $50 per hour! Are you kidding? The room we got was clean, but extremely small, no balcony and faced the parking lot. While we did not plan on spending much time in the room, it was by far the smallest room we have ever had in the area (and we go once a month on average)

While I consider it a nice resort/time share, it is so spread out that they have trams to get you to one place or the other (or you use your auto). Not good for strolling around, especially if you have young ones.

As for the pool area that we were in, no umbrellas, no small tables for your drinks, etc and no pool service. Although there is a small "restaurant" that serves quick food and drinks there. But, for a family, you can bring in coolers, etc. so your not spending a fortune on the snack bar for the kids.

On check out, be sure to review your bill, we had a food charge from the pool restaurant that was not ours. They took care of it, but if it were not for my other half, I would have not seen it.

So, bottom line.....If I had kids (young), this is a great place to spend some quality family time. Everyone there was extremely nice and courteous. If you are just looking for a quick getaway to relax at the pool and recharge.....try the Marriott's JW resort just down the road, a great place to be pampered.

Hope this helps

Room Tip: There is a water park for the kids, be sure to reserve a room near that area if you have kids
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jer7Bear
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Marriott's Shadow Ridge is a great get away for family especially in the off season. Yes, the weather is HOT, but with the abdundance of pools who cares! We acquired a get away week through International Interval for next to nothing. The check in staff were friendly and very accomodating. I had three rooms and they did their best to meet my needs. For familys try to get in room blocks 1300, 1400, 1500 or 1700. These are close to the pools and activity center. If you plan on staying at the pool for any length of time and want a specific spot plan on getting there at 7:00 am to reserve a spot. My one complaint was many people saved up to 8 seats and none of their group showed up until noon. Marriot does not enforce saving of pool seats. There is an ice machine at the pool so bring your own ice chest for drinks or plan on paying $10 per bar drink. They are good but pricy. The rooms appear to be newly refrubished. One and two bed rooms come with full kitchens, dish washer and wash/dryers. Also, there are several restraunts and food chains near by such as Costco and Sams Club. If you like gambling there is a casino only a couple miles away. Almost like vegas. Great savings cooking at your room instead of going out. Marriot has a number of gas bbqs spread out between each block of rooms. Room comes with minimal soap. You will need to bring trash bags, soap, sponges, aluminum foil, etc. from home or purchase at a near by grocery store. Nick Faldo golf course winds in between blocks of rooms and there are good discounts for guests. This is a great getaway for the family for a relatively cheap price!

Room Tip: For familys try to get blocks 1300, 1400, 1500 or 1700. These are close to pools and activity cente...
3 Thank Arbyboy
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!