“Not For Tennis Players”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Northern Virginia
“Not For Tennis Players”
Reviewed January 13, 2008

This was our second time at this particular resort whose general lay-out and landscaping we found impressive. While the entire resort still appears to be in an excellent state of maintenance, particularly the golf courses which are beautiful to look at even if you are not a player, the 'villa' -a one-bedroom, one-bath apartment- in the 1200 bloc had certainly been gnawed at by the tooth of time. The living room furniture was not comfortable enough to enjoy the nice gas fireplace fully, the rug stained and dirty (I walked on it with white socks for a day and could not believe the color of the soles in the evening). For our two-person party, the kitchen equipment was just about sufficient - a missing coffee maker was brought within ten minutes of the complaint - and everything was functional and in decent condition. We did not mind the absence of a maid- and towel service as we preferred to be undisturbed but it is easy to see how a family might like to have an intermittent clean-up. The bedroom and bath were much to our liking; if you woke up early enough and had the shades pulled you could watch a stunning sun rise over the mountains and golf course from your cozy king size. Our week saw some unusual weather - rain and cool temps; one night the forced air heat jumped on. I almost fell out of bed, certain that we had a tornado above us. Only after I raced out to check that the entrance door had not blown open I realized that all that had happened was the onset of the furnace, apparently a generous overkill model. If I had had a heart condition I would have been a case for the local ER.
Swimming against the golf current, we had come to Palm Desert again to play some tennis (and watch festival movies if the tennis did not work out). Desert Ridge had been ideal for this before. This time, however, the courts were not in good condition. Two days after the rain, there were still puddles on all courts, and no maintenance crew or just a squeegee in sight. One court had several unrepaired cracks, all the nets lacked a center strap. We did not mind too much, this time, because the movie festival kept us busy.
There was more noise as well, from the construction site beyond the fairway, from all manner of gas powered lawn and cleaning equipment, from the slamming of villa doors and cleaning crews getting units ready for new occupants.

In all, we would give this vacation fewer points than the one three years ago. But we still had an enjoyable week and do not consider it a waste of time or money.

• Liked — Size of unit, balcony, view from unit, walking distance from pool, tennis, and reception
  • Disliked — Rug and furniture, general cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jonandgaby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Maidstone, Kent
Reviewed December 31, 2007

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment in October 2007. We booked online quite a few months in advance and managed to get a one-bed apartment at a good price which was a lovely size and well worth choosing over the bedroom only option.

We arrived at night and the apartments initially appeared a bit shabby (as we had just come from the 5 star Signature MGM in Las Vegas!!) but in the daylight this was not the case. The apartment itself was lovely. A full kitchen/diner and large lounge and balcony to the right and the bedroom and bathroom in the rooms off to the left.

The bathroom was fairly modern and very clean. The bath was in the bedroom area (handy for watching TV!!)

The kitchen was equipped with a washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, full-size cooker and fridge freezer. It was like a home away from home as there was a great supermarket (Albertsons) nearby and we were able to buy food in and be quite self sufficient although it was a short drive to Palm Springs's restaurants when we wanted to go out for dinner.

You would need a hire car here as Palm Springs is quite spread out and Shadow Ridge is about a 10 minute drive from the main restaurants.

There were 3 pools on the complex (which is spread out over quite a large area). We used the 'adult pool' on the first day. There were plenty of beds and towels and it was really quiet but no food/drink facilities. We found it a bit too quiet as there wasn't really much of an atmosphere there. On the second day, we ventured over to the main pool complex (with 2 pools). The first pool was geared up for kids, the second pool was used by adults mainly. It was a beautiful large pool with lots of beds all round. In between the 2 pools was a bar/cafe serving a small selection of food.

Palm Springs is ideally located as the hotels are in the valley and the cloud sticks to the mountains! We spent many a day looking forward to the cloud coming over for a while but it just disintegrated before it reached us!!

In all if you are looking for somewhere relaxed and informal in the immense desert high temperatures, stay here!!

• Liked — Great pool, Great apartment for self catering
  • Disliked — Noise from water pipes in apartment above!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Allkar
Alaska
Reviewed December 30, 2007

On a 2 week vacation (NO, i did not want to get "stuck" going to California again...!!!! Problems AGAIN with Interval International taking advantage of Americans from ALASKA, I digress... The villa was okay, we were on the tee box for Hole #17. The young woman who called to "help" me... was YOUNG.... she needs to be reminded when tired travelers "go off" on her, as I did... I TRIED to be calm, but... I was not... that calling back when you say you will is of the uttmost import... The young man on duty as manager Christmas day needs to remember, no matter how "spiffy he looks" in a well ironed shirt, if the driver of the shuttle gets Christmas day off, it's because John has been driving that Shuttle longer than his shirt has been alive and NOT act like "that crazy little old lady from Alaska" is an inconvience. I do pay his salary with my "dues" and my continued Loyalty to the Names... Marriott and my own, Schooley. The ONLY reason I was able to last the whole week was De'Angelo. My personal Engineer on site. He fixed every thing I asked him to , checked sinks for leaks even when it was just me making a mess, and there was no real problem.
We were lucky and met folks next door from Tucson so I could send my husband off to golf with their family golfer... We will keep in touch with them and perhaps hook up in Arizona at a later date... So I survived the week of Faldo-Riffic golf (READ UGH... WE DO GOLF FOR HIM.... it's a marriage of 25 years... not quite a long time?? ha) so, for Golfers who want to be out on the courses, there are zillions, the Shadow Ridge Marriott people are willing to direct you to all the various courses in the valley... and as usual... it's what you make of it...

Stayed December 2007
los angeles
Reviewed December 11, 2007

we've just returned from a long weekend at Marriott's Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert. The grounds are beautiful and impressive. The room we were in was horrible. Small and dirty. Housekeeping left a lot to be desired. They didn't wash the floor in the bathroom & I'm not even sure it was swept. Not like Marriott quality at all. We wouldn't consider staying there again.

6 Thank liketogolf
New Jersey
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Absolutely beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. We (husband, and our two children) stayed here for 1 week. We were in a 2-Bedroom villa. We had a master suite with bath in addition to our own bath with a stand-up shower. The living room has a beautiful fireplace, and a dining room that seats 6. A nice kitchen fully equipped, even a washer and dryer. The second bedroom is seperate and has it own bathroom with shower. In the second room it also has a mini fridge, coffee maker, toaster and microwave. Did I mention our room was right on the gorgeous golf course! My husband and I are extremely picky about where we stay, so I can tell you this really was a fabulous place.

Everything was very clean and new, The only issue was that your room was not cleaned everyday. Otherwise it was beautiful and truly made our vacation wonderful. There is so much to do and so much shopping and dining in Palm Desert and Palm Springs

A++++++++

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank stacysp
New York City
Reviewed December 6, 2007

This is a beautiful resort in a magnificent setting. Everything was clean and generally well maintained. However, the tennis courts were not good. They were not kept clean of leaves and brush, and the nets were sometimes not functioning (and if you play tennis, you know the height of the net and the cleanliness of the court are very important).

The wifi was free and worked most of the time. The only structural drawback is that as a time share location, the food availability was not great, but there are many supermarkets and restaurants in easy driving distance. Very kid friendly.

Bottom line: above average, and good value for the price we paid.

• Liked — Comfy beds, value for money.
  • Disliked — Bad tennis courts
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank BusterCT1K
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My parents were staying here when I came to Palm Desert on a visit. The rooms they had were very nice, the kitchen, family room area, and bedroom/bath were all very nice. My folks were quite pleased by the service, too.

What we loved the most were the pools! They were all beautiful, well maintained, and clean. There was pool side service, which was great. The food was nothing fabulous, but it was fine for pool side noshing. The three teenagers traveling with us liked the slides, and we spent a lot of time in the the hot tubs (which were a great relief when the clouds appeared).

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!