WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect family resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We just went here for the long weekend (President's Day) and I couldn't wait to write a review this amazing resort. It is perfect family resort! We have two kids (8 and 5) and they both are already asking when we can go back. We stayed in the one bedroom villa--the kids slept on the pullout sofa in the living room. There's a kitchen, washer/dryer, huge bathtub with separate shower, great closets and drawer space, huge balcony, and tons of space. The room was fabulous, but the best part of the resort is all the fun things for kids/families. There are basketball and volleyball courts, multiple pools, a water slide, bike trails, a splash area, outdoor gas grills, etc. They also have tons of planned kids activities and movies throughout the day. We didn't have enough time to do everything! We plan to stay a week next time. Overall, this resort is just perfection.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank travel4fun3319

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed for a week in a 1 bedroom unit, newly renovated. I think this property is lovely. The kitchen has stainless full size refrigerator and DW, 4 burner cook top and adequate counter and cabinet space. LR has 2 chairs and couch, there is a full size dining table, and deck has table and 4 chairs. Marriott beds. All rooms have views of golf course, which is itself lovely. 3 pools and 2 gyms. The safe lock was broken when we arrived and was fixed rapidly upon request. Lots of ongoing maintenance on this property and it shows.
We observed a studio as well. Much smaller deck. No dining table. Small counter. Half size refrigerator. No cook surface. Better to spend the money and stay in a 1 bedroom.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that isn't near Monterey Ave.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 886886
san clemente ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

To begin , my sons work at Marriott properties, my husband is a Marriott platinum member, staying at properties all over the world. So I thought a room at Shadow Ridge Palm Desert for $39 a night while on business was an exceptional deal.... Wrong!
My 3rd night, I returned to my room after a typical 12 hour work day. The message light was blinking so I called front desk, the woman said the system was having a problem, I had no messages and she was sorry for the confusion.
An hour later I was woken up from a deep sleep by a ringing phone, but ignored it, they'd call back, right?? Wrong! Awhile later, men were pounding on my door, yelling "welfare check" while opening the door!!! I was naked, had no robe, in my room.... Luckily I had the security lock on but they were able to have the door open about 3-4 inches....They then told me to call the front desk, that they had been trying to get in touch with me for 2days.... I then packed my bags and left the property.... It's not safe for single women.... I saw the two thugs as I left the property, they are loss prevention.... I believe they knew I was there alone as I had towels delivered earlier in the day.... Needless to say, this story will be going to the upper echelon of The Mariott Corporation.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank dinerosdeb
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Due to high occupancy over the Christmas break, we were unable to stay in the Desert Springs Villas for our entire visit to Palm Springs. Shadow Ridge had rooms, but only the second bedroom (the lockouts) of the two bedroom villas were available. As those bedrooms had been lovely at the Desert Springs Villas, we reserved them, fortunately only for one night.

I cannot speak to the main suites in the one and two bedroom villas, as we did not see them, but the second bedroom left a lot to be desired. Although it was clean, our first floor bedrooms were dark and narrow. The bathroom was tiny. The patio, which overlooked a lovely pastoral pond, was enclosed, making it dark, and the chairs were uncomfortable. The mini kitchen was extremely small, useful only for making popcorn or other incidental task. Even a simple breakfast was difficult in that kitchen. Again, we were comparing it to a much nicer second bedroom in a nearby Marriott facility, at the same price.

The pools, however, were nice. There is a large family oriented pool and a second, quieter pool for adults. The hot tub was small, but not crowded and the big pool was nice. As expected, the grounds were very well maintained and the staff helpful. I would not go back if all that was available was the second bedroom.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank eadj
Glastonbury, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

Oh how I wish we could have stayed longer than the three nights we were there. My husband and I were in town for a family event. We have often stayed with his parents, but have moved on from that, but usually to the Fairfield Inn nearby their house. The Fairfield wasn't available at a price we were willing to pay but, luckily, Shadow Ridge was! And just as several of the previous reviews state, it really is a beautiful, well-kept, top-notch property.

We had a studio unit on the top floor of the 2800 building. It was clean, nicely appointed and had one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on in a hotel/motel/resort/condo in many years. A studio unit is the perfect size for two people, as long as they don't need cooking facilities (which we did not). The only meal we had in the room was a cereal breakfast before heading over to the state-of-the-art gym. Aside from the excellence I've experienced with cruise ship gyms, this is the best we've had at a hotel/motel/resort/condo in a long time. They even have three treadmills outside overlooking the 1st tee of the golf course, looking out towards the mountains. Beautiful.

While we did walk around the beautiful grounds and checked out what was where, unfortunately, we were unable to take advantage of the recreational facilities (I'm talking about the pools and tennis courts). But, oh, how we would have liked to.

Also, any of our dealings with the resort staff was first rate. Service with a smile.

We certainly hope to stay again at Shadow Ridge next time we're in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CNorm
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

My sister and I came out to visit our grandparents for a long weekend. We usually stay at the Westin but it was booked. The Marriott "looked" nice and was really close to our grandparents house. This hotel was very average for the price. I usually am not soo picky and can make the best of the hotel I am at (which I did) but I feel like for the price, again, it is just so so.

The rooms are nice but a bit dated and there isn't an I-Pod docking station or a DVD player in the regular rooms. Not a deal breaker but now a days, in nicer hotels there are always docking stations...The shower was awful. It felt like I was in a motel. It trickled out in a stream with no way to adjust it to spray evenly. The blow dryer, I have used nicer in motels.

Our room wasn't cleaned the first day. They finally came by at 4:30 but we had to send them away as we had to get ready for dinner. Why so late?

Beds are really uncomfortable.

Now, this was probably the MOST disappointing...Nick Faldo's Restaurant. The first morning we went to "The Market" and asked if there is any place to eat breakfast. They offered coffee and muffins, etc...but the restaurant doesn't open until 11. So we have a not so good breakfast sandwich and move on. That night we came back to our hotel after dinner in Palm Springs to have a drink and we walked in to Nick Faldos and were told that the restaurant closes at 7!!!! What???? On a Friday night none the less. The next day we went in there around 4 to have a glass of wine and spoke with the bartender and he explained that during the week, they close the ONLY restaurant on this HUGE property at 3 during the week and at 7 on the weekends! Absurd! Seriously! So they are open from 11-3, total joke and not sure why they are even there? No breakfast, no dinner (unless you eat at 4 or 5 pm on the weekend). I know when I travel it is nice to have a place to eat breakfast in the hotel and lunch if we are by the pool or have a place to have an after dinner drink. This hotel is great if you are 95 and in bed at 7!

Unfortunately, there were a bunch of little things that happened that made us realize it's just not up to par with what we thought Marriott Standards were.

I personally would never stay here again, nor would I recommend it, which is too bad because we have a lot of family travel to Palm Springs and we had hoped that we found a new gem. Nope, we will stick with the Westin and if that is booked again, go to the JW Marriot. We went there after we couldn't have an after dinner cocktail and it was much better!

But if you are looking for something average this place is just fine. It's a place to sleep. But I know we had a hard time justifying their room rates for the "amenities" (or lack there of) that they offer. You can find something around the same price range that is much better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ColoradoCOGirl
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a studio unit at Shadow Ridge. The room was a good size with a king bed, mini fridge, sink and toaster. The bathroom was also a decent size for this type of room. We had a little patio with a fairly good view of the golf course and we were always joined by a least half a dozen bunnies during our morning coffee.

The room could have been a little cleaner when we arrived - especially the bathroom. We did notify the front desk immediately upon arrival and housekeeping showed up within 20 minutes. Also, there were fingerprints all over the patio doors, TV and door knobs but I just cleaned them off myself with disinfecting wipes. We also had to give the cutlery and plates a rewashing before use because they looked questionable as far as cleanliness.

Overall we were pleased with our stay. The grounds are very well kept, the bed was very comfortable, the pools fabulous and the staff friendly. The studio room was a good size for the two of us but would be too small for a family. We would stay here again but would book a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen just for the extra room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple