“2nd trip just as good as the first!”

The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Went back to Desert Willow 15 months after our first visit and were just as impressed as we were the first time there. Was nice to visit during another season to experience the change in weather but nothing about the resort has changed, perhaps only gotten better. We requested and were able to stay in the newest building (#18) which shares a new pool and hot tub with one other building (although it's accessible and usable by anyone staying at the resort) and which we used quite a lot.

Service and friendliness were great as we remembered. The amazing Joe is still the bartender and we hope he never leaves! As I said in my first review, his martini class is a blast and we took it again and he made it new all over again. Happy hour food and drinks in the bar are a bargain and we indulged on several evenings.

All in all a great experience and I would highly recommend this facility to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room throughout the resort but we generally opt for the newer construction i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
jackson2180, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear guest, we were excited to hear that you were able to return for another visit. It was nice to know Joe is continuing to make lasting impressions with our guests. The will be pleased to hear your comments on service and friendliness. Thank you for taking the time and we hope your 3rd visit is just as positive as your previous two.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

From the Heavenly Bed, to the staff- this Westin was awesome! We had a minor issue upon checking in, however Daniel, the manager, solved it right away and even sent us a gift of wine and toffee to our room. We would definitely stay here again. We traveled with our 13 year old and 10 year old and they also had a great time. The only downfall is that it was a moderate distance from all the shopping and good places to eat. So you definitely do need to rent a car.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest, thank you for providing us feedback on your stay. It was refreshing to hear that we were able to resolve your concern during your stay. We will be sure to share with Daniel your comments on how he handled your situation. Hopefully, you and the kids can come back soon for another visit.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at this location while on a business trip because I needed to have the comforts of home away from home. The location is well located and a short drive from many restaurants. The villas have all you will need for cooking and entertainment. However, the one I was in would not be suitable for a larger group, especially if you wanted to cook using more than two pots or pans. The pool was great. There are bbq grills if you need them. Golf carts will take you around the property. And if you like to golf, the property has a course. Overall, it was a peaceful locale that I would be happy to return to when in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Peaceful, thank you for choosing our resort for your lodging needs. We were pleased to here that our accommodations met your needs. We appreciate you as a guest and hope you can return in the future.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I normally stay at another Palm Desert property nearby, but I thought I would give something else a try for a brief, one night visit to the area.

We arrived late Saturday night, expecting that I would be able to get a 4 PM checkout due to my SPG status,and Westin is making a big deal in promoting late checkouts on Sunday.

The problems started when I was informed that because this is a timeshare property, regular checkout is 10 AM (!), and it could *possibly* be extended to Noon (!) if I asked the following morning. The latest checkout I could receive was 1:30 PM, giving me a little more than a total stay of about 13 hours.

I have stayed in timeshare/hotels before, and yes I understand that for whatever reason, these properties have early checkouts. However, this was not made clear at the time of the reservation. There is nothing apparent on the property's website indicating it is a timeshare property and that different rules apply.

The less than stellar attitude of the check in staff when I raised this issue did not help matters. Ultimately, however, it is bad policy to impose these early checkouts on SPG's most loyal customers (I will be SPG Platinum by the end of this month). I'm sure there are plenty of excuses as to why this policy exists. My point is that is detracts from the stay and if I had known, I would have stayed elsewhere.

More problems:

- More than half of the cardio machines in the gym did not work. Some had "out of order" signs on them, others you got to experience them not working only after trying to use them.

- The poolside service was poor. Very, very long delays for basic requests to be met, despite the fact there were no more than a dozen people poolside.

- Carbonated beverages at the bar were flat.

In all, while the physical property itself was very good (except for the non-functioning equipment in the fitness room), the experience was disappointing and I do not plan to return. I spend over 75 nights a year in hotels, and being able to relax at a property while being shoved out the door so early on a weekend are incompatible.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravelingNomad1000

Dear guest, thank you for letting us know about your experience. I apologize for the miscommunication regarding late checkouts at our property. We do try to extend later checkouts whenever possible. We will also address with our teams the pool side service and the fitness center maintenance. We hope your travels return you to the desert. I would like the opportunity to connect with you regarding your experience. warren.jerome@westin.com

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family and I just returned from a great stay at the Westin Desert Willow Villas. Front desk staff was very attentive and helpful. They upgraded our room at check-in when I requested a roll away bed. The pool and other hotel staff were all great! My kids loved the golf cart rides from the hotel room to the main pool area. We stayed on a special rate through Starwood and they wanted to give us the ownership sales "pitch". I politely decilined and it was no big deal. We stayed in Building 6 and the only issue was a very loud vibration and noise coming from the AC system. I turned off the AC in our room for awhile and it still continued so it must be from other units. My daughter had trouble sleeping, which was a disappointed. Definietly request a room away from the loud AC system. Overall, great property, pool area and stay.

Room Tip: Stay in a room away from the loud, vibrating AC System.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. The staff will appreciate your comments on their service. I apologize regarding the noisy AC. We will definitely look into that situation in Building 6. We would like the opportunity to serve again in the near future.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We spent 4 nights here in April. This was a trip for kids and grandparents to visit, relax by the pool, exercise and recharge. There are far better options in Palm Springs/Desert if you are looking for night life and people watching but for a quiet escape this is great. The facilities were in excellent condition, even if the square footage was a bit tight for 4 of us. However, the shaded deck was great for meals and a glass of wine at night. The gym had a good mix of cardio and strength equipment, all in working condition unlike most hotels where it seems one or two machines are always out of service. During peak hours it was very crowded so plan accordingly. We didn't golf or play tennis on this trip so no comment of those facilities. Our kids normally are not fans of Kids Club but they enjoyed this one and even more so enjoyed all the poolside activities during the day. There is a waterslide but it has a height requirement which our 6-year old didn't meet. Two pools with the one by the waterslide being a bit more kid oriented. Cabana rental was reasonable and well worth it considering the shade and refrigerator for snacks. Book early - we tried to get rooms for next year but they are already full!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Briansdca
jackson2180, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Wonderful, we were excited to here that our resort met your needs. We appreciate your feedback on the facilities and gym area. We hope by your next visit your 6 year old will be able to experience the waterslide. Thank you for taking the time and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here after a long trip from Chicago. So needed heat, relaxation and to seriously kick back! Well it was perfect for that.

Normally my partner and I always place important emphasis on location, being able to to walk to restaurants and bars. Well we decided this time to do the opposite and that to stay in the middle of the desert surely would make us relax. There's nothing around you, so less choices sometimes is relaxing. Either eat in the hotel restaurant at night, or cook in the apartment. We did both. The restaurant was reasonably good, not expensive. The night we cooked was just lovely too. We sat on our ground floor terrace overlooking the beautiful desert, golf course and twinkling stars. What could be nicer!

The accommodation was lovely and great value for money. It seemed all very brand new and tasteless decorated. There was a dining room and kitchen with everything you need, inc dishwasher and washing machine/dryer. So overall everything was very convenient.

We stayed on block 5 which was nice as it had great views over the desert and golf course. I loved the scenery. Next to our room were barbecue facilities, and also table tennis table and a pool table.

As the resort was spread out, and although walkable to each part of the hotel, there is a cart facility which picks you up and takes you everywhere. As it was soooo hot, 104 degrees, we called for the cart as everyone seemed to do. They come straight away.

Overall, great for total relaxation, great desert scenery and heat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweetpeakirk
jackson2180, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Total, we were excited to hear about your restful stay at our resort. It was great to know that the accommodations and amenities met your needs. The staff will be happy to know that your stay was a positive one. Thank you for providing us your feedback. We hope you can return in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
1 mi away
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Desert Willow Villas? Share your experiences!