I normally stay at another Palm Desert property nearby, but I thought I would give something else a try for a brief, one night visit to the area.
We arrived late Saturday night, expecting that I would be able to get a 4 PM checkout due to my SPG status,and Westin is making a big deal in promoting late checkouts on Sunday.
The problems started when I was informed that because this is a timeshare property, regular checkout is 10 AM (!), and it could *possibly* be extended to Noon (!) if I asked the following morning. The latest checkout I could receive was 1:30 PM, giving me a little more than a total stay of about 13 hours.
I have stayed in timeshare/hotels before, and yes I understand that for whatever reason, these properties have early checkouts. However, this was not made clear at the time of the reservation. There is nothing apparent on the property's website indicating it is a timeshare property and that different rules apply.
The less than stellar attitude of the check in staff when I raised this issue did not help matters. Ultimately, however, it is bad policy to impose these early checkouts on SPG's most loyal customers (I will be SPG Platinum by the end of this month). I'm sure there are plenty of excuses as to why this policy exists. My point is that is detracts from the stay and if I had known, I would have stayed elsewhere.
- More than half of the cardio machines in the gym did not work. Some had "out of order" signs on them, others you got to experience them not working only after trying to use them.
- The poolside service was poor. Very, very long delays for basic requests to be met, despite the fact there were no more than a dozen people poolside.
- Carbonated beverages at the bar were flat.
In all, while the physical property itself was very good (except for the non-functioning equipment in the fitness room), the experience was disappointing and I do not plan to return. I spend over 75 nights a year in hotels, and being able to relax at a property while being shoved out the door so early on a weekend are incompatible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A villa resort offering just-like-home amenities in a world class destination. The Westin Desert Willow Villas features villas up to 1,420 square feet with fully equipped kitchens, private balconies or patios, washers and dryers, separate living and dining room areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Experience the value of a villa and enjoy no resort fees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Desert Willow Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Desert Willow Villas Hotel Palm Desert