“It's a great place, but some small things keep it from being a top resort”

The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
South Pole
“It's a great place, but some small things keep it from being a top resort”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was my first time here and I am an SPG elite traveler and not a timeshare owner. It is new and nicely laid out, as well as convenient access to I-10. If you're looking to spend most of your time in Palm Springs, this is NOT YOUR PLACE as it is a 30 minute drive. The only time I even felt they knew I was SPG elite was at check in, other than that there are no upgrades (hotel wasn't full) and no in room amenity/water. When you ask for a late check out, you get the "snarky front desk agent look" of DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT EXPECTING A LATE CHECK OUT HERE! The pool area is nice, but with a maximum depth of 4 feet. If you want to minimize the screaming kid factor at the pool, go early. The rooms are pretty awesome, amongst the best you will ever find at a timeshare property like this one. One unexpected pleasure was the restaurant, which I would have expected to be overpriced and under delivered. Happily, it was the exact opposite and we had 3 meals there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Viking94708
Bayron G, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello--
Viking94708, I am sorry to learn we did not met your expectations as an SPG memeber, We do offer late check-outs and upgrades based on availability, Ownership level and SPG level, I am sorry we were unable to accomodate your request at the time of your visit. On a more positive note, We will be opening another pool by the end of September that will help alleviate the noise of the pools. I am dissapoined to learn you did not feel we appreciate your SPG memebership, Please connect with me on a future visit to Palm Desert and I will ensure your stay goes well. Thank you for the feedback and look forward to welcome you back!

kind regards,
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Friends and I spend a week at this amazing property. We stayed in a two bedroom lock-off unit in building 5. My friends and I were able to just relax, see the sights, and come back to a great bar and restaurant. The Westin Concierge Kathi made my stay more enjoyable by giving me suggestions on places to see and things to do. Thank you. My only concern was at the beginning when following the directions to get to the Villas. 75 Willow Ridge is not the physical location of the Villas but their mailing address. it threw a few people off who were driving from the airport. The address is approx. 38141 Portola Ave. Other then a bit of a hiccup all was wonderful.

Room Tip: If you want to be by the golf course and a quiet area select building 5 or 6. You will see the road...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello-
tmschaf, Thank you for your kind comments. I am excited to learn how much you enjoyed the property. I will share your comments with Kathy am sure she will appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your support and look forward to Welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Arizona
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Good:
New, clean, well-stocked kitchen, comfortable beds, washer/dryer - great for families!

Housekeeping was great. We had daily service, they replaced the laundry detergent, the dishwashing detergent, made up the beds very nicely, replaced towels, no complaints!

My kids (age 7) loved the waterside, though they are just tall enough to go on it - and they do check!

Not so good:
They need more covered parking.
The kids pool was very crowded.
We were in building 4, which was far from the main pool (though they are constructing another pool next to building 4 - but it isn't one with a waterslide!)
Slow elevator, only 1 luggage cart for the whole building.
It would be nice to have the option of having someone bring my luggage up in 110 degree heat!

Room Tip: Ask for Building 1 or 2; 3 & 4 are a hike from the main pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelwithtwins13
Bayron G, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hello--
Travelwithtweens12, Thank you for the scored you bestowed upon us. I am pleased to learn you and your family enjoyed the facilities. I am sorry we missed the oportunity to offer you some luggage assistance, we do have personal that is in place to help you at your arrival and departure time. Please connect with me when you plan to come back to Palm Desert as i would like to make sure your stay goes well and you enjoy all our serivces and facilities. Again Thank you for your feedback and support.

kind regards,

bayron.garcia@westin.com
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We spent two nights in the smaller lock off room. The price was fair, we accessed the huge local Wal-Mart for groceries. The kids loved the multiple pools. We usually RV so having blended drinks served poolside was fun. The weather was perfect, not too hot for enjoying a morning walk down past the golf course and getting in your exercise and not too cool to make the most of the different pools available. The rooms were clean and well appointed, the staff were courteous and accessing the property was pretty good. Parking was kind of a pain because it's gated access and then you probably too many cars staying per unit. It would be nice if at least one parking space was assigned to each unit so that you didn't end up down and around the corner with your groceries but this was the ONLY downside I can think of

Room Tip: Try to stay toward the middle of the overall property because the pools in the center were the ones...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bonstrr
Bayron G, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello--
Bonstrr, I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2013

All rooms face onto the golf course so there are no bad rooms! The weekly activities sheet has lots to keep all age groups entertained if you want to join in. Hubby and I find this is the perfect spot to really unwind, relax and dine in or dine out so it's a must on our vacation calendar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lady_having_fun
Hello--
It was a pleasure to note how much you have enjoyed the events held with us and we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family just stayed over Labor Day weekend in building 5. We had a fantastic time. We loved all the staff that we encountered. Everyone from housekeeping, room service, front desk, and the restaurant were great. My daughter forgot paper and a pencil for her Geometry homework. The gift shop had paper, but no pencils. Cassandra in the gift shop got two pencils out of her purse and gave them to us. She gave us two in case one broke. This is the mark of great customer service. Going above and beyond what is required. Thanks for a great weekend!

• Stayed August 2013
Hello--
peaceloverockets, Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned.

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent 4 nights at the Westin Desert Willow Villas in July. We had a great time! Everything was clean & well-kept, the kitchen had everything we needed, and the employees were all friendly and helpful. We really appreciated that the time-share aspect was NOT a hard-sell. Just an invitation to attend a presentation (and get a reward for our time), and not another word said about it when we declined. So nice to not have to sneak across the lobby to avoid the hard sell as at some other places!
We really enjoyed the pool and waterslide too. We appreciated that they had water dispensers around, for those who didn't bring water bottles or who finished what they'd brought. And the shuttle carts were readily available for those who didn't want to make a 5 minute walk in the 100+ degree heat.
My boys are already asking when we can go back, and so am I! :D

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello--
JennTTT, I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received. You are welcome back now! If you are a Starwood Preffered Member you should be receiving great offers now, if not please let me know so I can sign you up. Please connect with me on a future visit to Palm Desert so I can make sure your stay is as relaxing and renewing as possible. Thank you for your support.

Bayron Garica
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Desert Willow Villas? Share your experiences!