“Rough start, but made up for it”

The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Los Angeles, California
“Rough start, but made up for it”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here about a month ago during a buddies golf trip. Reserved two basic villas for four guys and ended up having a fifth join us.

Unfortunately for us, the weekend we planned the trip for ended up being the hottest weekend in years. 118 degrees! And unfortunately for me, I arrive first along withe some stuff I picked up at Costco for the weekend, and the elevator in the building wasn't working! (And yes, we got put in the infamous Building 4 with a view of the pool under construction. I was told everything else was full.) Since our rooms were on the top (4th) floor, this meant I had to carry my luggage and Costco sandwiches and drinks (heavy!) on several trips up and down the stairs in what was already 112 degree heat. Needless to say, I was very unhappy. I placed a call to the front desk informing them of the situation and was promised it would be taken care of ASAP. Unfortunately for my friends, the elevator still wasn't working when they showed up over an hour later, so we had to trek up and down the stairs again.

Fast forward several hours (we only made it through 9 holes due to the heat), and when we get back from golfing, the elevators are out of order! We climb up to our rooms, I call the front, and I get the same lady I spoke to before. At this point, I'm outright angry and tell her she needs to either move us to the ground floor or put us in a different building. The elevators did start working a few minutes later, however at that point I was not willing to risk that they would break again, and still insisted on moving.

To the resort's credit, in the end we got moved to the ground floor of the same building, and as a bonus, they are adjoining rooms (shared doors that we could open, unlike the two rooms we had before that were next to each other but adjoined to the rooms on the other side) and one of them is the larger "premium villa" which was perfect as the room for three of the five guys. We had a cart delivered and it was only $5/night.

The villas themselves were great, and I can see why families enjoy staying there for extended periods. We didn't go to the pool, but I noticed what everyone else has mentioned -- that it was full of kids. But hey, if I have young ones of my own one day, I wouldn't hesitate to come back here even though it's another 20 minutes past the main areas of Palm Springs (if you're driving from LA).

Oh, you do have to pay $15/night for parking, but they were kind enough to charge us per room rather than per vehicle.

Room Tip: Like everyone else said, try to get a room in the buildings close to the lobby if you want to be clo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jackson2180, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Rough Start, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I apologize for the issue with the elevator. We were happy to find out that you were moved to the ground level. It was nice to here that we accommodated you with an upgrade for the inconvenience. We hope you can return in the future. Thank you again.

Warren Jerome

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Korean first
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The condos are new and well equipped. Building 1 and 2 are near the pools
They are building more condos but there was no noise from this. I believe there is going to
be another pool as well.
It is in a great location. Grocery stores and shopping nearby. You need a car for sure however.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kathyjohndj
Bayron G, Operations Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear kathyjohndj, Thank you for the scored you bestowed upon us. I would like to personally thank you for your comments and support. Please feel free to connect with me on your next visit to Palm Desert.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am a Starwood timeshare owner. We found that this resort is pretty well managed, it is clean and has a very responsive staff service. Pool maybe too small in high season. Great rooms ans good location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ViajeroMundial007, Thank you for your feedback. I happy to inform we will be opening another pool in September 2013, I pleased to learn how much you liked the property, Thank you for your support.

Temecula, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

In brevity we were told by Starwood our package accommodations would provide the following:

1- 5 star service!
(Longboards being ridden up & down concrete room hallways is far from what I would consider 5 star accommodations)

2- Kid slamming entry hotel room door (mind you, literally right next to our kitchen adjoining wall).
Not a conducive way to starting out one's morning.

3-Last night we attempted to drive in twice via our hotel key card to NO AVAIL the security bar would not raise. Car behind us, obviously could not drive fwd (hardly a 5 star situation) thank goodness "finally" a security parking attendant lent a helping hand.

4-The MOST disturbing aspect of the property! Such a beautiful golf course (again, a golfers paradise OR perfect setting to film the Brady Bunch) their was literally NOT "1" NOT "1" drop of color contrast within the ENTIRE property. Mind boggling!
Completely drab ...no separation
of any lines or structures as it is painted ALL in ONE dark depressive color scheme.
DOES NOT COME ALIVE!!!

I must keep my review honest as so this is hardly a place that feels warm & inviting :/

Points I would like to pay tribute too!
Candace (concierge) you are sweet, professional & a hell of an asset to the Westin. You understood our feelings & I thank you for being who you were.

The GM I apologize for not recalling your name, thank you for the FULL refund & providing a smooth early departure. Thanks for your happy b-day wishes for my husband.

Verdict:
Great property for families with kids, golfers & those who are not seeking "adult time".

We love kids (have grandchildren) Starwood deceived us & boy have we learned from this exp!

MORAL of this review "don't underestimate Starwoods timeshare ploys".

*Noteworthy
The property staff was EXCELLENT our issue lies directly with Starwood!!!!

NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank billionsandnocure
Bayron G, Operations Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear billionsandnocure, I apologize for the level of hospitality received on your recent stay. We do appreciate that you took the time to point out some deficiencies here at our resort. We use guest feedback as a tool to assist with training and development to improve our processes and procedures.
We are aware that your opinion of our service has been affected by the handling of your concerns and do hope that in time, you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us in the future. Please feel free to connect with me at bayron.garcia@westin.com
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a classy place top to bottom. Super service from all staff. GORGEOUS facility, really did a nice job with the desert landscaping concept. You HAVE to take the martini making class with Joe the Bartender - what a great expereince! You can tell everyone here is proud of their facility and interested in customer service. A must stay resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear, Joseph S, I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received. I will share with Joe and the staff your comments, again Thank you for your support.

San Clemente
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We've been visiting this property about once a year for the past 4-5 years. We are always impressed with the friendliness and courtesy of the staff. When we visited this past weekend, however, our high expectations were exceeded. We were trying to juggle several different reservations for three families. The manager, Bayron, and the front desk personnel, Emily, handled it all flawlessly and with smiles. In addition, all of the pool staff and other folks working at the property were fantastic, as usual. Westin and WVO should be proud of this property and this group! We've been so impressed that we became owners here!

Room Tip: We prefer the buildings closer to the pool, but the second pool opening soon should make that less i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear CETSC, Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of Emily and staff. Thank you for your continued support.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We found this Westin on the web driving thru Palm Springs on the way back to Scottsdale from Orange County. A very pleasant surprise. Very new, clean and comfortable room. We will be back and for sure bring our golf clubs. The resort is right in the middle of a fantastic golf course.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear ebbenny, Thank you for your comments and the rating, thank you for your support. Please connect with me once you have your reservation I will be delighted to be your personal contact at the property.

bayron.garcia@westin.com
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Desert Willow Villas? Share your experiences!