“A nice place, but the air conditioner made it hard to sleep”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Phoenix, Arizona
“A nice place, but the air conditioner made it hard to sleep”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I wouldn't call my room a suite, but I would call it a large room with a small divider. It did have a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, etc. Had view of the pool. The location is good, as you can walk across the street to a shopping center and restaurants.

The wall-mounted air conditioner seemed fairly new, but made way too much noise. It was hard to sleep with the air conditioner on. Also, you're only a few hundred yards from the freeway and I could hear heavy trucks going by as well. The main problem is the air conditioner, though, and I would only stay here again during periods where you don't have to use it.

The TV reception varied between good and poor. You can hear the people walking around above, and they never seemed to stop. The front desk people were very nice. The breakfast was OK, but nothing special. The "scrambled eggs" made me wonder if they were really eggs.

It's a nice place, though, and I would consider staying there again when the weather doesn't require use of the air conditioner. I would have given it four stars if it weren't for the noise issue in my room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank maynard7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
stevenson ranch, ca
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Let me start off by saying this: I work in a hotel. I work the front desk. I am the one who greets & welcomes guests, takes note of any complaints & it is my job--that's right, I get paid to make sure every guest is happy. It's not a difficult job, you just smile, listen to what the guest has to say & do your best to accomadate. Not that hard right? Well, that said, before I even left my house to make the 3+ hour drive, the hotel had already authorized my card for the 1st night... not completely out of the ordinary, but ok, whatever. When I get there, I was told because I was using a debit card, they authorize an additional $25 for incidentals. Frustrating, as I budget my money down to the dollar & my paycheck had only released a certain amount into my account before it cleared. No problem, I asked if I could have the incidentals shut off or pay a cash deposit. "No." Fine, I leave to deposit more cash into my account. Upon my return, the front desk clerk says "Oh I guess I could have authorized just 1 night instead of both nights." Grr... but whatever, either way, just check me into my room please! My honey & I had additional questions/needs as we settled in & we were given attitude as if we were putting out the staff...again, frustrating & not quite the welcoming/hospitable I was expecting.
A few minor maintenance issues in the room, but nothing that was detrimental to our stay...even the next night, again there was issues w/ the staff, mostly just poor customer service. I felt like I was an inconvenience to them rather than a guest. At check out, a 3rd staff member was glad to check me out. This is a pet friendly hotel, btw, so as I was checking out, my little dog did have an accident in the lobby (#1 not #2) which I immediately asked for a rag to clean it up myself. I was told that "they will mop it up later." I thought this odd as I wouldn't want other guests to see a puddle of piss at my hotel, so I asked a 2nd time for a rag to clean it up. This time I was given a rag & abruptly told to throw it away when I'm done.
Overall, it wasn't a horrible hotel, the room was quite nice -- I was just expecting to be treated the same way I treat every guest that comes thru my hotel, but perhaps that's asking too much these days. :(

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank m w
Christopher C, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear m w,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Comfort Suites Palm Desert and taking the time to review our hotel. As a fellow hotelier, especially working the front desk, I am surprised that you weren't aware of the debit/credit card policy. For some guests who aren't aware, we do have sign at the front desk clearly explaining the hotel's policy regarding this. We take great pride in providing great guest service to everyone and so I'm very sorry to hear of your experience. I will be sharing the information you provided with our staff to improve our services. Thank you once again for being our guest and please feel free to contact me directly should you have any questions or concerns.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The location is great and the staff is kind, but apart from that the hotel is not worth its value. The A/C blows a cold wind directly in the face of the person that is sleeping, as it is on the floor and points to the bed. Not pleasant at all. Try to turn it off and you melt. We were in 4 persons in the room. The last one taking a shower would always take a cold shower. We also found some cockroaches in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mariana_Lourenco_C
Dear Mariana_Lourenco_C,

Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. I wish we would have known of the problem with the A/C sooner so we would have had a chance to fix the problem such as changing the setting to your preference or even offering a different suite. We take great pride in offering a spacious, comfortable and clean suite to each guest and we definitely need to know if your expectations are not met so we know a problem exists. Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can look into these further and prevent it from happening in the future.
Victorville, California, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

No ice machine on 3rd floor/ over 35 tv stations and only about 3 came in that were not fuzzy. The pool had way too much chlorine. My skin was dry and peeling for the next 3 days after that.
The only bonus was they let us check in early. So thanks for that.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Adrianne H,

Thank you for staying with us at the Comfort Suites Palm Desert and taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize if there was any inconvenience of not having an ice machine on the 3rd floor. Our hotel is designed to have an ice machine only on the 1st and 2nd floor. However, our front desk staff would have been more than happy to deliver ice to your room upon request. I hope you mentioned the TV not working to our staff, so that they would have had a chance to fix the problem right away. Once again please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I did a lot of research prior to staying at this location and I am relly glad that I stayed here.

Tony made check in lightning quick, the room was very spacious and clean, and even though the hotel is close to the highway, I did not have a problem with noise. Two minor technical issues I had were with the phone lines and the WIFI. Being in the furthest room from the lobby was perhaps why the WIFI was occasionally problematic, and when I switched to a room closer to the lobby the problems did disappear. The second minor issue was the telephone which had a tendency to disconnect during a call. The staff advised me that they had been working on getting the problem resolved with the phone company.

Although I did have these minor technical issues, I don't think should detract from, what otherwise was, a great experience. For the comfort, location, staff and overall value I give the hotel top marks.

Room Tip: Perhaps check with the front desk to see if the WIFI in the far rooms, on the top floor, have been g...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KS080
Dear K S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you had an easy check in and had a quiet stay. I'm sorry to hear that you had an issue with the Wi-Fi and the phone. Although our hotel offers Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, we have found some areas have stronger signals than others. Next time you stay with us, please let us know and we'd be happy to accommodate you into a suite with a strong signal. Thank you again and for your valuable feedback and we'll be looking forward to your next stay!
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I stay in hotels 250+ times yearly and I stayed in this hotel on 7/24/2013. I've been here before and my stays have been without complaint. The building and grounds are well maintained, the room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was hot and plentiful. Overall a top notch budget hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear ChuckMosher,

Thank you for being a frequent guest. It is guests like you that we love to see back again. It sounds like you do lots of travelling, so I'm glad to hear of your positive review. Please come back and visit us soon. Thank you again for being a valued guest!
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I give this hotel an excellent rating for the category it's in and for the value. It's not the Ritz but anyone booking this hotel chain should not be expecting that anyway. This hotel was $100 on a Friday night including all taxes and it was fantastic for that price. My husband and I spent the night on the way to Los Angeles. We were pretty much just expecting a decent place to lay our heads for the night, but this hotel turned out to be much more. We didn't have much interaction with the staff other than when we checked in, but the guy at the front desk was very nice. The room was spotless and HUGE, all the furniture looked nice and new. There was a sitting area, desk, flat screen TV, and kitchenette area. The bathroom was large and clean and had a nice shower with good water pressure (always important). The bed was really comfortable. The room price included a pretty decent breakfast also. This hotel is right off the freeway. For someone spending lots of time in Palm Springs it is not the closest, but if like us you just are passing through and need a place for the night (or don't mind the short drive to Palm Springs), I would highly recommend. Great value for the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JenC-7,

Thank you for your excellent rating on our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed everything from our staff to our spacious suites and amenities. Along with great service, the Comfort Suites takes great pride in offering a true value to our guests. Please call us next time you plan to be in the area and we'd love to take care of you again! Thank you again for being a valued guest.