“Added Wedding Stress”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pasadena, California
“Added Wedding Stress”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I stayed here for my friends wedding. She booked a joining room with 4 beds for herself and the bridal party SIX months in advance. She was told that they would place banners in the room that said "Thank You Bridesmaids" and strawberries.

Upon arrival we were told that our room was not guaranteed (they did not tell her this at the time the room was booked) and after 30 mins at the check in counter we were sent up to our room- which was not joined. We called the from desk to move us. When we entered the new room THERE WERE ONLY THREE BED!!! There were no banners, no strawberries, nothing! They wouldn't even let us brink champagne to the room to celebrate her last night single. The icing on the cake, in the middle of all us girls charging clothes the next day, some man barges into our room giving a tour- all he said was "oops, sorry" and shut the door.

Just hours before her she was to be married, the bride had to go down and deal with this stress and the front desk only offered her $50 off. After she had over 9 rooms booked there for friends and family and we spent over $400 on dinner.

The front desk agents are completely under-qualified to EVER work at a hotel of this size. To screw up someone's wedding reservations is beyond belief. I will never stay here again on principal- I also DO NOT recommend staying here for any type of event where stress may be a factor.

The only reason I didn't give it a terrible is because the rooms are clean, the food is good and they have a nice pool.

We then decided to check on her reservation for the wedding night in the suite. She prepaid for a rose turn-down, Champagne, strawberries and banners. Low a behold, none of this was in their system. Can you imagine if we didn't check the night before!!. What a horrible thing to deal with on your wedding night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank sMARTIshorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Southern California
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed here last weekend for a relaxing getaway. Checking in and out was a nightmare as there were long lines for both. Even though there were three ladies at the front desk, all were on the phone as the lines got longer.

Our "Mountain View" room was clean, but located right next to the parking structure so all night long we heard car alarms going off and the beeping of people locking their cars as they were coming and going. Also, I don't know what the peole above us were doing, but it sounded like they were playing basketball for about an hour around 1:00am.

The next problem was the fire alarm that went off in our room as well as the whole resort at 5:00am while we were sound asleep. The loud beeping and recorded message that told us to “stay in our room while the reason for the alarm was being investigated” went on for about 20 minutes. I called the front desk and they told us it was just a monthly drill. OK, I understand you need to perform fire drills, but at 5:00 in the morning when you have guests that are sleeping??? We couldn’t go back to sleep. We watched TV and started to get ready to check out. While my wife was in the shower and I was shaving they had a power outage which stayed out for about 15 minutes. Called the front desk again and they told us the whole building went out for some reason. They couldn’t explain why.

We checked out of our room after standing in line again for a half hour and went to their food court to get something to eat before our drive home. We were told that because of the power outage they were only serving cold sandwiches. We picked one up and left.

Not a very relaxing weekend. If you book a room here, make sure to ask if they have a fire drill scheduled first!

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms can be close to the parking structure. You will hear car alarms all night long.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank islandhopper09
Corona, California
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Arrived on the 26th for the Jeff Dunham show. We arrived at 6:00 for the 8:00 show to get something to eat and do a little gaming. When we got there we valet'ed and decided to check out Choices, the buffet. When we got to Choices the line was massive. This was understandable since it is a buffet and has a reputation of being a good buffet. We then went to check out Oaks because we didnt want to stand in line for an hour. Oaks had many open tables however they stated they were booked up because. Didn't understand this. I literally could count 10 tables that were empty. Oh well, I understand so we move on. We go to check the cafe but that line was almost as long as the buffet. So that wasn't going to work. Went to the Mexican food place and that was a 45 minute wait. So we go to try to the deli, which is more like fast food. Nope that line wasn't moving at all. Soooo, we decide to eat at the little coffee shop. Almost no wait and I asked for a caesar salad and my wife asked for a turkey sandwich. We get two mochas, water and a croissant. After we get our meal we look for a seat. THERE ARE NO SEATS ANYWHERE!!! So we pull up 3 casino chairs and make a makeshift dining table. All the tables were taken by people waiting for the show and they had no food. While we were at our "dining" table management noticed us. Did they come over and try to help, maybe apologize, or offer something else......nope.....they were too busy talking. It's all good though, i understand. The mochas were rancid and I am not exaggerating. I took them back for waters. My wife asked for a turkey sandwich but got a chicken salad sandwich that was whatever. My salad had chicken on it, which if I knew I would not have purchased because i am allergic to chicken.

The deal with this place is that they do not have the hospitality services to host an event with 1500 people in attendance. I know they want to but they just don't have the room. The Show was amazing but when you have people packed in like sardines on stupid fold out chairs that are 18 inches wide it isn't comfortable. I wasn't the only one who had this to day. The person next to me asked if this was our first time here, I said yes and he indicated the same. He said it was his last and I agreed.

In all I will not be returning to Pala for a show or gambling for that due to this experience. It just seemed like they were more concerned with quantity over quality. Good luck Pala, but you lost me at hello.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cam2317
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel was very clean , Had a big screen t.v a wonderful veiw , a big bed everything you could want.
The staff is very friendly and made you feel right at home. This casino and hotel has everything you need. A spa a pool. and from time to time live entertainment. They are very updated and the buffet is great.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cypress, Ca
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The hotel itself is actually quite nice! Our room (I think we stayed in 602) was very nice. Clean room, the bed was comfy and the best part was the jacuzzi tub! The bathroom is just as big as the room! We ate at the buffet one night and my husband said it was the best buffet he has ever been to. The pool was the PERFECT temperature, the only downside is it is pretty small and there were a TON of little kids, but the pool bar had very good prices on drinks so it was nice to spend a few hours sunbathing and just dip our feet in the pool while sipping on some cocktails. Overall I would definitely recommend staying here we were very pleased with the room itself just stay away from the slot machines because we lost ALOT of money on those dang things!

Room Tip: Suite with poolview also has a smaller window on the other side with mountain view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I made reservation 5 months in advance to stay at this place. I was a part of a wedding party where the couple made sure the bridal party and guests would have a convenience access to the ceremony and reception. What I thought was going to be a weekend of fun was not so true to start.
I was sharing a room with a fellow bridesmaid and we were given one king bed to share when I specifically asked for two queen beds at the time I booked the room online.
I called downstairs to fix the mistake but pretty much got lied too. I heard everything from, it's because I checked in late to they sold out for the weekend or they only ONE back-up room available just in case there's a plumbing issue. Therefore, I could not get a new room immediately. Never been lied to so much by a hotel and I travel for business every month.
To make matters worse, they told me I had to either call the front desk or go downstairs the next morning between 7am to 9am and ask for a new room. I asked why couldn't they help me by putting my name on a list? and they responded, "because we don't know when rooms will become available." WTF!!

You think, I am making this stuff up but NO, it really happened and good thing I asked for their names. I think Myra and Erica either need to go through training AGAIN or not work in hotel and hospitality.

One person who I would like to thank is Susan, the Mgr. who helped me out the next morning; yes, I couldn't sleep so I went downstairs to confront the issue. It only took Susan a minute to where Erica and Myra rather be on the phone lying to me for 40 minutes.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank KC758
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I've done alot of traveling and stayed in alot of hotels but Pala is among the best. The rooms are tasteful, understated and elegant. The facility is pristine and the food is fantastic. . .best buffet in San Diego bar none. The front desk staff is always helpful and they do their best to accommodate you even going beyond what would normally be considered reasonable. The gaming is fun, with loads of different machines, lots of new machines and lots of penny machines. I'm sold on Pala. . .it's heavenly!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pala
Pala Mesa Resort
South Coast Winery Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Temecula
Carter Estate Winery and Resort
Embassy Suites by Hilton Temecula Valley Wine Country

Been to Pala Casino Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!