Lighthouse Hotel
$175
Hotels.com
$155
$160
Royal Inn(South San Francisco)
$140
Travelers Inn(South San Francisco)
$149
$145
Travelocity
Deluxe Inn(South San Francisco)
$134
$130
All Seasons Lodge(South San Francisco)
$120
Americana Inn Motel(South San Francisco)
$125
1,148 results
All reviewsocean viewrockaway beachsan franciscomoonraker restaurantsound of the wavessliding glass doorattached restaurantjunior suitepool and hot tubhalf moon bayamazing locationshort drivefree parkingfree breakfastbwpacificsfo
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Normally I stay over by the airport, but all the "decent" hotels were full, so I decided to try the Best Western. I'd seen the hotel a couple of times before mainly because I was going to the MoonRaker restaurant in the hotel.

The Rockaway beach area is a nice out-of-the-way area along the ocean in Pacifica. The hotel is literally steps away from the beach and ocean and it has a small town, cozy feel to it. Check in went without issue and I got a room on the 4th floor. The way the hotel is set up all the rooms are on the ocean side of the hallways so the vast majority of the rooms have a full\partial ocean view. It was a little bit of a walk to the room from the parking garage.

The room was spacious and it appeared that it had recently been remodeled. I got a king room and had a nice, partial, view of the ocean over a couple of buildings. Opening the sliding door I was treated to the lulling sounds of the ocean waves. Very relaxing!! The rooms was clean and functional and the bed comfortable. They had granite counter tops in the bathroom and the carpet was clean and fresh. This property is definitely on the higher end of the Best Western brand.

The hotel was fairly empty when I stayed and I got the feeling that the walls and floors were pretty "thin" and that if you got next to someone loud it could get pretty noisy.

Room Tip: If you don't spring the extra $$ for ocean front, I suggest you go for rooms on the 4th floor as they will give you the best view of the ocean over the buildings.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank FlyingSux
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The official hotel website photos make it appear as if you sit in the hot tub and see the ocean but that is not the case-from the hot tub looking towards the ocean you only see a row of windows for a walkway corridor. You can hear the ocean from the hot tub if the jets are turned off. Very light sleeper but no 4th floor noise problems-slept great. Slept with the sliding glass door slightly ajar since hearing the ocean so close was fantastic. Room 439 (and probably other rooms as well-only inside this room) had multiple holes in the bottom of the sliding glass door where the bolt is inserted to secure the door, allowing one to open the door about 6-9 inches to hear the ocean, but also to insert the bolt to keep it secure from moving while sleeping. Need to correct reviewer's three-two inaccurate Nov 2013 information giving misleading room tips-there is no more security on the 4th floor rooms where stayed compared to lower floors. One could still easily hop over the extremely narrow walking area railing and break in the 4th floor rooms if the sliding glass door is too far open. The difference in the 4th fl walk area between rooms is that it is very narrow if one tries to walk between rooms on the balcony/walkway but it is still doable. He implied it is very secure between rooms, which it is not. They are incredibly strict on 10 PM close for the hot tub. The guy came in at 945 PM and warned me "You have to leave very soon since we close by 10". Then right around 952-954 PM he starts dragging the hot tub cover right next to the water, then stood over me for about 3-4 minutes waiting for me to leave. Never stayed at another property so intent on kicking out their customers based on the property owner's schedule rather than letting customers enjoy the property amenities. Did it ever occur to the owners that it is possible someone might have been on a flight later than scheduled due to delays, then enjoyment and relaxation are lost when required to race over from SFO to get to the property, check-in, get bags up to the room, then hurry down to the hot tub trying to beat the 10 PM closing time?
I agree with Jennifer P's comment about the parking lot slickness. Since you are so close to the ocean the parking garage floor is frequently wet and gets very slippery-almost fell down multiple times. No free breakfast, but knew that before checked in-willing to sacrifice free breakfast since it took 3 minutes to walk from 4th fl room to sitting on rocks 10 feet away from the ocean.
Would stay here again, although would lower my expectations based on the price versus the property-multiple carpet stains visible and multiple carpet sections obviously replaced, and was dissatisfied about the very strict hot tub closing time. Couldn't stay anywhere closer to the ocean. Service rates 0 stars with hot tub bouncer if 30 seconds late after 10 PM. Location is 5 stars with ocean proximity. Amenities rate 1 star with inflexible hot tub hours and no free breakfast.

Room Tip: Correcting three-two's Nov 2013 faulty advice-there is no more security on 4th fl rooms compared to lower floors. One could still easily hop over the extremely narrow walking area railing and break in the 4th floor rooms if the sliding glass door is too far open. The difference in 4th fl is going between rooms is requires a very narrow passage but it is still doable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank BeachandSail4me
Marty C, General Manager at Lighthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We're disappointed that we were not flexible with the closing time of the hot tub but please call me directly so that we can discuss further. We hope to have you back so that you can enjoy one of our comfortable ocean front rooms. Marty Cerles, General Manager, 650-355-6300

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Good beach front hotel - quiet rooms, excellent AC/heating, convenient parking, excellent coffee, but breakfast is not included as part of the stay. Try a brief hike up the mountain for an amazing ocean view; it beats the gym by a long shot!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank John C
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Parking lot is very slick when wet. They need to resurface it so people don't fall. Bathroom wasn't terribly clean. We had to go hunt up towels. They charge for water, poor welcome! Probably one of the worst Best Western Hotels. No free breakfast, we left early and had to drive for miles to get a restaurant that was open.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Jennifer P
Marty C, General Manager at Lighthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we're disappointed that we didn't meet your expectations. I did respond to your Best Western Survey and would love the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please call me directly so that we can discuss further. We hope to have you back so that you can enjoy one of our comfortable ocean front rooms. Marty Cerles, General Manager, 650-355-6300.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I rate this very good, meaning very good for what it is. If you are looking for luxury, even a little luxury, do not stay here. Our family stayed here in two rooms, and it is Best Western. The lobby and hallways are worn, but they had made attempts at upgrading bedding and furniture in the rooms. If you read my reviews you know I am picking about cleanliness, and the bathrooms were clean. Bathroom was not as nice as home, but fine. Too bad you can't really see the beautiful ocean, which is VERY close, from rooms, but you can from the restaurant.

We ate at Nate's for dinner as we were rolling in late, which is right across the street. Again, nothing great, but a fun, 50's beach club type place. Food was fine. The restaurant is expensive at the hotel, but the view is nice. Overall I would recommend this for a family looking for a good place to stay near the ocean. It is also convenient to San Fran and Half Moon Bay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family