New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Lighthouse Hotel

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lighthouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pacifica
Colorado
“Great Hotel - Superb Location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

You can't get a better location in the San Francisco area if you want to be right on the ocean! It's also a great hotel to use for a base if visiting the sites in the San Francisco area. It was a quick drive to Golden Gate State park from there. The rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable as well! We had a 'partial ocean view room', but we had a great view of the ocean! The staff was also very helpful when I was having issues using the printer in the business center. There are some restaurants nearby as well. The little 50's style diner right next to the hotel was excellent!. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: I would ask for a partial ocean view room at least, or full ocean view. It's well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Czech first
Walnut Creek, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

When we called to book a room on Labor Day, we told them we would need a suite because my husband snores which makes it impossible to sleep in the same room. The person on the other end said we could book a junior suite. Now you would think it was obvious that we expected two rooms, or at least a room and an alcove. Nope. The "Junior Suite" was one room with a sofa bed at the end of the queen bed! So we had to drive home that night, rather than spend an uncomfortable, sleepless night. I will be interested to hear if others have had this experience, and whether you agree with us that it was a thoughtless oversight on the part of the person taking our reservation not to put two and two together (though in separate rooms, of course).

Room Tip: If you book a room with an ocean view, don't expect a balcony ... it looked like you would barel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank theatheathea
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Great view, nice little beach, easy access.
The staff was friendly and service was very good.
The room was just o.k., with a bit of a damp smell, but then, it is next to the ocean.
We loved our stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Izmir, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Pluses:
We started our Rute 1 tour from this hotel Convenient hotel, just by the pacific ocean, with a lovely view
Easy to find
The restaurant was super for us, but the menu is not so inspiring for little children
Convenient and free parking
Windows can be opened
Minuses
Breakfast was not included to the price.
Carpets and bed ar fine but the furniture are very old, needs to be changed.
Rooms are not so big, but enough if you are just spending the nights in the room

1 Thank ngok
Pitman, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We chose to stay outside San Francisco because we don’t enjoy staying in cities or driving in them. We wanted to spend a day in the city touring Alcatraz and spending time on Fisherman’s Wharf, and since Pacifica was a short drive to the Colma BART station (10 minutes), staying here seemed like a logical choice. We liked that the hotel was located right on the beach.

We arrived at the hotel around 3 p.m. and were promptly given our room keys. I had requested a courtyard view room with 2 queen beds (cheaper). Fortunately, we didn’t take any luggage to our room initially, as when we entered, we found a very large room with an ocean view, large bathroom, and king size bed. There was a sofa, but I was not sure if it was a bed or not. The cushion looked very thin, and honestly, I don’t feel that any sofa bed is comfortable. I was not about to ask our 14 year old daughter to sleep on a sofa bed, so I decided to return to the front desk to see why we weren’t given a room with 2 beds. Don’t get me wrong; the room was lovely, but not the style I wanted or had requested.

When I returned to the front desk, I explained to the clerk I wanted a room with 2 beds. Her response to me was, “The sofa is a bed.” I frowned and said I did not want a sofa bed; we needed 2 queen beds. Although polite, she looked shocked. I believe her manager was standing next to her. She, too, looked surprised that we didn’t want the room. She stated, “But we upgraded you. If we give you a room with 2 queens, it won’t be large like that one.” I assured her it was fine and that it was more important for me to have 2 beds. We finally received keys to a different room that had 2 queen beds. Much to our surprise, this room did have an ocean view that was lovely. The room was smaller, but the beds were extremely comfortable and were the best of our 12 day road trip.

I was very surprised that we were not told of the room upgrade upon check in and was very glad we had not hauled luggage to the room before checking things out.

Everything was extremely clean and modern. I am surprised that so many find the hotel “dated.” Our room really was not like that. I especially appreciated the night lights that came on with motion in the room. That was so nice to have in an unfamiliar place when you have to get up during the night. The room was equipped with a fridge that was great for storing snacks and drinks. The rooms do not have A/C, but the area is quite cool. The Pacific does “roar” as someone else stated, but I found the sound comforting. You couldn’t sit outside on the balcony, as it was too narrow, but it was nice to just stand out there listening to the crashing surf.

The location was a great choice for us, as we were at the BART station in about 10 minutes and arrived in the city in about 20-30 minutes. The Alcatraz pier was about 1 mile walk from the station, which was quite manageable. We got off at the Embarcadero.

Other than the room change, I was very pleased with our experience here. I would suggest to the management that they tell customers when they have been given an upgrade, especially when there are more than 2 people staying in a room. There are many people who do not like sofa beds. In the hotel’s defense, however, we were given a different room in a timely fashion, and we truly did appreciate our upgrade to an ocean view room.

3 Thank slrtravelplanner
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Third stay here, maybe the forth. And again, a wonderful view in the partial ocean view room we had. The ocean sounds at night are relaxing and steps away from the ocean make this place sweet. Over all the hotel shows the ravages from it's location but I for one do not let this distract from it. I look at each hotel on it's own and do not compare it to others since each place is different. Nice central location from what you wish to do or see. The only complaint, OK two, was the desk chair was worn on the arms from rubbing under the bottom of the desk and Saturday night there was a party going on somewhere but was just loud enough to hear.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank milotian
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I think I may have reviewed this hotel before as this was our second stay. This time we tookt he kids. We booked a junior suite so we would have a king size bed and the sofa sleeper. To our surprise, they put us in the presidential suite! It is huge and the kids were ecstatic. Big patio with full ocean view, dining room table for 8, huge whirlpool tub and walk-in shower, flat screen TVs in living room and bedroom, mini-frig and microwave, fireplace, the works. It was nice having that much space with the 5 of us for 2 days. They could definitely stand to do a little more fixing up, like better soundproofing (you could hear everything going on in the hallways), new carpet, and clearing out some of the poop on the patio. I also find it odd with such lovely views that they don't have a balcony or patio for most of their rooms. Although it was chilly, we were still able to swim a bit in the outdoor heated pool. It is also very convenient to be able to walk to restaurants.

1 Thank RCMom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacifica
Pacifica Beach Hotel
Americas Best Value Inn
#5 of 6 in Pacifica
Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
BEST WESTERN PLUS El Rancho Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Lighthouse Hotel? Share your experiences!