“Great BBQ”

Dining options: Takeout
Salinas
“Great BBQ”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The portions here are insane. I had a kids portion (fortunately they let adults do that) and couldn't finish that. The pulled pork is very yummy, I picked a side of portabella mushrooms which I had never tried before, and that blended very well. It's too bad they had to take out the benches and tables, so either you sit in the parking lot or find somewhere else to eat. We went to the ocean and ate on our car, which was very breath taking and added to the experience.

• Visited November 2013

Chicago,IL
“You. Must. Go. Here.”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I'm a fan of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. I also have the Food Network App on my iphone that lets me search for places featured on Food Network. That's how I found this place.

We were doing the PCH road trip and were almost done with our trip... it was the last night. We were staying in Half Moon Bay and headed to this place for dinner. It said they closed at 8 so we raced over there and got there at like 7:45... it was all closed up, with a sign that said "SOLD OUT". WTH? We were so disappointed. We ate somewhere else that night and decided we would try again the next day for lunch before we headed to SFO to catch our flight home.

They opened at Noon and since we were already in the area we headed over at 11:30. There was already a line outside the door! Again... WTH? So between the previous night of "sold out" and this line... we were thinking... WOW, we have got to get some of this food!

So we got in line, waited for what seemed like forever while we were drooling over the smoke BBQ smell outside. My husband ordered the 2 meat plate, I (being the oink oink of the family) ordered the 3 meat combo. I figured I might not ever be back to this place again, so might as well "go big". I'm not going to lie...If they had a 5 meat combo, I would have gotten that.

I travel a lot and have had BBQ everywhere... TX, TN, MS, NC, AL, MO, even China... I have BBQ everywhere. I'm a big fan of BBQ and regionally you know it's all a little different. Some people hate sauce, some people hate dry BBQ, some want vinegar sauce, some want sweet, etc, etc. Me? As long as it's some good 'ole slow cooked, smoky fine tasting BBQ, me and my belly are happy. Although I prefer to sauce it up.

Anyway, this place did not disappoint... and for the record, the 3 meat combo meal could've served a family of 4. I had pulled pork, beef brisket and the ribs. All EXCELLENT. Some of the best BBQ I have ever had. The sides were pretty good too. Awesome sauce as well. A solid mac and cheese showing, typical cornbread, good beans... but the BBQ (right fully so was the star of the show).

I guess it's good that I don't live nearby, b/c I would grow to be the size of a gorilla as I would be eating this every day of my life if I could.

Next on my to do list is to figure out how to get in with Mr Gorilla and do a franchise of this place in Chicago!

• Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
“People have been raving about this BBQ, we were disappointed.”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

It seems we have heard nothing but rave reviews about this place since moving back to the area 18 months ago. We had thought about trying it a few times and as we'd approach the parking lot, we would see a long line out of the door, so we always opted for another time. Well, that time finally came, and perhaps it's just one of those things that you keep building and building in your mind to blow your socks off...and when you finally do it, you think ... Wow, that sucked. That's kind of how we felt. Don't get me wrong...it was alright, we ate it. I've also had the good fortune of having BBQ from KC, Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. So, I guess I'm a tough critic.
The service rocked! They were very nice and fast! In and out of there in 5 minutes! The sides were a little lacking. I don't know how there can be BBQ without fried okra or at least "something" green. My husband wanted collard greens or green beans, I opted for cole slaw, they had that. They definitely lost us with the sides...bland at best, absolutely nothing special, in fact, not worth the calories ladies.
Did we just catch them on a bad day? One will never know. It's a cute idea but with so many Bay Area restaurants to sift through, it has to be special to return.

• Visited November 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Fantastic BBQ!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Being from Texas originally I tend to be a bit picky about BBQ. Imagine my shock to find some very good brisket in Pacifica! We picked up some of the brisket (the only meat they had left at 6PM!) for a picnic at Muir Beach Overlook the next day.
It was great!
Just make sure you get there EARLY cause they sell out QUICKLY!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank dgpete
San Francisco, California
“Best BBQ I have ever had!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I don't even like BBQ, but I LOVE Gorilla BBQ.

After trying many reputable BBQ places up and down the east coast to no avail, I find it in Cali.

Their sauce is what really does it. The meats are always delicious and slow cooked, but the fact that they are always swimming in that messy, amazing sauce is the best part. The portions are huge (my husband and I usually share) and getting the 3 meat tray will not disappoint. Housed in an old train car, the service is like a food truck that put down it's roots. The hours aren't extensive and it can get pretty crowded during lunch.

My only complaint is that their macaroni and cheese is awful (although I have noticed that in almost all the BBQ places I have been)

Visited January 2013