“Must try if in Pacifica”

Camelot Fish & Chips
Ranked #20 of 87 Restaurants in Pacifica
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My girlfriends family is from Scotland, they love great fish and chips. They really enjoy eating here, so do their kids. Once I tried it, I became hooked also. I highly recommend Camelot.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I love this place! The fish and chips are better than average, but not as good as I would expect from a place that succeeds so well in looking like an authentic British Pub. Personally, I think they could improve the batter and make the fish more crispy. I felt I had better at Barbara's fish trap in Half Moon Bay.

The decor (lots of Princess Diana) and building itself is great. They have very entertaining vintage advertisement wallpaper in the slightly creepy bathroom in the back and sell british foods and beers. It pains me that this place not only takes cash only, but closes early at 8pm. Were this a pub with pub hours AND fish&chips AND convenient payment methods, I would be a regular there.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My third time there was about a year ago to check if this place had improved over our first time. It had not really.

The first time my wife and I went here it was nearly empty and we should have taken the hint. It smelled greasy and the fish, while plentiful, thick and juicy and good was surrounded by a batter that had unfortunately had met an untimely death at the hands of old oil Monster.

It had put up a galant struggle: "Maybe it was supposed to taste this way?" but ultimately it failed to save the fair maiden fish that it was supposed to enhance.

The Malt vinegar was the only assist that we could find that helped the flavor but it was more like rip the batter off and eat the fish.

The fries too were not particularly fresh or ones that we even cared to finish as we love plank-style fries.

Thanks BE that the prices were at least on the cheaper side, but not that inexpensive for the quality.

So, with all THAT going on, in a dark and rather depressing atmosphere, with waitresses who were very much not interested in doing more than writing down the order, I can't say that I would consider going there again. I KNOW this place has gotten good reviews but the one key time I went, it was "Not so much..."

1  Thank TanTien
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Camelot is the go-to place for Fish and Chips, not just for those who live in Pacifica but some in San Francisco as well. I called early (4:30 pm) on a Friday to beat the dinner rush for a take-home meal, but I was still told the two dinners would be ready in 25 minutes. Not a long wait since everything is cooked when ordered rather than being cooked ahead and then warmed up. The two meals were wrapped and ready when I came in, being only third in line when I was there at 5 pm.

Back home, my husband dug into his fried calamari and chips with a HUGE fish he'd ordered on the side. He was impressed by the size of the piece of fried fish but once again impressed even more by the flakiness of the fish, and he ate up and enjoyed everything he'd ordered. And I had ordered a combo, fish and scallops with chips -- although I'd forgotten that meant two pieces of fish along with the bay scallops. I appreciated the batter-to-fish ratio, just right, and the taste of everything made for a great yummy meal. Of course both of us had said yes to their dousing the meals with salt and vinegar, and at home we used even more of the malt vinegar available in bottles from Camelot. My meal was huge enough that I saved one fish and some chips for my lunch today.

Why? Because I'd ordered for the first time something I'd seen on the menu not just at Camelot but also in different places in Scotland and England: a deep-fried Mars Bar. And I wanted to save room for tasting it while still warm.

Oh. My. Goodness. What decadence. No wonder the woman who took my order on the phone said, when I ordered it, that it was really, really good. The light batter keeps the Mars Bar from dissolving into a melted mess; instead, you get a warm, ooey-gooey molten center to the Mars Bar with the slightly firm chocolate exterior of the candy bar. Heaven. Each bite brought happiness, a smile to my face.

And even though he hadn't asked about it until I came home, I picked up a Flake candy bar for my husband, that tasty British chocolate stick that does indeed flake off into your mouth when you bite into it.

The cashier was pleasant, and by the time the cashier handed me my bag of newspaper-wrapped items, the line had grown to much more than three behind me. The tables were beginning to fill up. Numerous people are regulars of Camelot, which is a terrific casual place which serves up tasty traditional British food and provides the opportunity to buy traditional British desserts and snacks. It's not the place to go to if you're avoiding fried food, but everyone needs a splurge at some point -- and Camelot is worth that splurge meal!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I love this place! Great service each time I go in! I love how they wrap the fish and chips in Newspaper! It's not to big inside and it can be hard to find seating from time to time. Other than that it's great!