“Great views do not make up for bad service”
Review of Moonraker

Moonraker
Ranked #5 of 86 Restaurants in Pacifica
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: highway 1
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Great views do not make up for bad service”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is the first restaurant, ever, that I left without giving even one cent of tip. We had breakfast here after spending the night in the Best Western (which is good). The restaurant was ten percent full at most, but even so we had to wait fifteen minutes for our order to arrive. In the most lowly diners in America your cup of coffee is refilled as long as you are eating. Here I had to get the attention of a waiter, call him over en beg for some more coffee. The man filled my cup and walked way without so much as a glance at my wife's empty cup. True, she didn't specifically ask for a refill, she just expected one.
Restaurants in the cool and fine dining categories often serve dishes with the constituent parts beautifully arranged all over the dish. Moonraker has its own pedestrian view on this. When it says on the menu "poached eggs with spinach and brie" you get exactly what it says: a plate with on it a saucer with bland poached eggs, next to that a lump of cooked spinach and next to that again some slices of brie. No value added by the cook, no inspiration, no taste, nothing, in short, that makes a restaurant dish more than the sum of its parts.
Next time, I'll go to a diner.

3 Thank Pieter D

Monterey, California
“Very good food but view is better after dark”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were in the area and some locals recommended this restaurant. They said it could be pricey but it was romantic. We got there early and the area just outside the restaurant was not so easy on the eyes. There is a large cement walkway area that looks like it hasn't been swept in weeks. There is a lot of sand and rocks all around it. However, the food and the atmosphere of the restaurant were very good. It is connected to the Best Western Hotel but the food is really good. The potroast was recommended and it supposedly takes 36 hours to make. After tasting it, I believe it. It was so tender it melted in my mouth. My wife and I had dinner with the clam chowder (The chowder was too clammy for me, too fishy for my taste but my wife liked it). Our dinner was around $70 for everything. Not a bad deal. I would recommend you make reservations and visit right before sunset to enjoy the ocean views. The new bar was very nice and they had live music.

1 Thank Remy87
Woodland, California
“no gooo”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

walked in fought with lil girl wearing a teeshirt and belt about seating. We were casual and she must of thought we had no money for dinner. Well we took our business to Nicks and spent well over $100 for a great time. Food drinks live music. The people at the new moonraker never acknowledge us so we left. The name of this place has been change over 5 times in as many years. hmmmm Love Nicks!!!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank WintersBiggbirdd58
New Hampshire, Usa
“Go at sunset, watch the surfers, have a great meal”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was the best dining experience we had on a recent week-long trip to California. The view out over the ocean was excellent, watching the surfers and the sunset provided great entertainment.

The food was terrific, with the exception of one dish that arrived cold, but was quickly replaced. Our party of 4 all had great meals, from pot roast to seared ahi tuna to squid-ink pasta with clams and various other seafood. The appetizers and salads were also hits, from the "Moon Spoons" to the butternut squash bisque to the endive/arugula salad.

Can't wait to go back.

2 Thank poisson54
Manahawkin
“High end- good food but a bit pricey”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Waiters were very formal and efficient. Food presentation was excellent, and we loved the appetizers.

Visited April 2013