“Relaxing, pleasant stay”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pacifica
California
“Relaxing, pleasant stay”
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and truly enjoyed the time spent. Months before we headed up north for our vacation, I called (after getting some preliminary rates from the website) and talked with a staff member who helped me secure a reservation. He gave us Room 110 which is spectacular: jacuzzi, fireplace, balcony, sofa, fridge, ocean view.

We were greeted pleasantly, had two nights of wonderfully comfortable sleep, enjoyed the new Simply Smart line of bed linens and bath products, and were devastated to leave the shower head--it was marvelous.

There were a few drawbacks---the sink drained slowly, there was mold on the wall at the top of the shower, a few stains on the carpet--but that wasn't enough to detract from a completely relaxing stay.

We would definitely stay here again.

P.S. We went bowling at Sea Bowl just up the street---a total blast!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank yuckybeans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
British Columbia
Reviewed August 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. We were not happy with our first room on the second floor as the window was broken and would not close.
We moved to a third floor room and had a ocean view. The hotel is in need of repair in different areas. For the money we were pleased with our stay. Nothing fancy.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Hotel was well used in need of repair
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be afaid to ask for help to change things
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cherrio
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I think I was the first member to write a review for this Holiday Inn - it was a glowing report for one of the nicest places I had ever stayed.

Imagine my disappointment to return after 4 years (and having recommended the place to everyone who'd listen!) and discover that it's simply nowhere near as nice, friendly, clean or well-run as it once was.

The problems started before we even arrived. We booked 2 rooms for our party of 3 adults and 3 kids through the Holiday Inn website, and paid in full in advance for a 3 night stay. When our credit card statement came through, we had been overcharged by almost $100, due to the fact that the hotel had split our reservation. They had divided our party into 2 groups - placing all 3 adults in one room, which allowed them to levy an additional person charge on one room. We felt that this was a dishonest move on the hotel's part and a cynical attempt to squeeze extra cash from a loyal customer.

When we challenged Holiday Inn reservations about this, they agreed that a "mistake" had been made, although they could not explain why. We agreed that we would delay resolution of the matter until we checked in, when we were promised a full and immediate refund of the overcharge.

When we arrived at the hotel, the desk clerk knew nothing of our situation, and the manager was away from the property. The desk clerk was therefore unable to refund our overcharge, but promised that it would be processed later that day.

The rooms themselves were a huge disappointment to us. Having comfortably shared a room with my husband and 3 daughters on our first stay, we were most disappointed to be shoehorned into 2 small, dark, damp-feeling rooms with were not connecting (as had been requested at the time of booking).

The carpets were filthy, with large suspicious-looking stains and holes in several places, and the room curtains (used to conceal the spectacular trash-can and blank-wall views) were crumpled and covered in cigarette burns.

The bathrooms were poor also - the non-slip surfaces in the baths were desperately in need of a good scrub, and the hairdryers in both rooms were broken.

More concerning than all of these, was the discovery in the room shared by my elderly mother and my daughters of a bare electrical wire sticking out of the wall behind the airconditioning unit. I was only alerted to this on the final morning of our stay; had I known about this earlier I certainly would not have allowed my family to sleep in room 112.

On check-out we discovered that, after 3 days our overcharge had still not been corrected, and again, the manager was nowhere to be seen. The desk clerk once again assured us that the matter would be addressed that day, but we were headed to the airport for a return flight to Scotland and could therefore not wait to ensure that this happened.

On our return home, the credit was eventually made to our account - but for $6 less than we had been promised.

We received no apology, no rate reduction - not even a call from the elusive manager.

Sadly I have to withdraw my previous praise for this hotel, and will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Frances C
Roseville, California
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I am employed by the State of California and travel to the Peninsula occasionally on business. Whenever possible, I make it a point to stay here. Being able to take a walk on the beach or the nearby headlands is a perfect way to unwind after a hectic day. Top that off with dinner at Nick's (in the Sea Breeze Motel) and you have a wonderful time. If you can, ask for Room 201 -- it's a large room with a magnificent view of Rockaway Beach -- has a micrwave, frig, large bathroom, sofa, easy chair, and work table. It was wonderful. My last visit there was July 10-11 and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank gcjones
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 6, 2006

My teenaged son and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Pacifica over Mother's Day weekend. This was a perfect central location for visits we were making to San Francisco and San Bruno, and it is also very convenient to the airport and a great improvement over staying beside the airport. Holiday Inn Express Pacifica is located at Rockaway Beach, a lovely spot with a picturesque rocky shoreline, nice (steep!) walking trail, and interesting shops and restaurants. The hotel was highly satisfactory: clean, comfortable and inexpensive. The only problem I experienced was very poor cellular service - I often could not dial out on my cell phone from the room. Maybe this was because of the topography of the area. However, I could use my cell phone from the central lobby on our floor or the main lobby with no problem.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank midcenturyantique
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed June 26, 2006

My family of three spent four nights (mid-June) at this HIE in Pacifica and for the most part we were very satisfied. The King Suite we'd reserved was smaller than expected, but the view more than made up for it as our window directly faced the ocean. One of the screens was missing from the window, but we were on the second floor so we didn't mind, especially as it enabled us to lean out of the window to get some great pics of the ocean. The room was clean (except for some strange brown smudges on the wall near the fireplace) and the king bed was comfortable. The refrigerator and microwave in the room were clean and very much appreciated.

The breakfast area was pleasant and the breakfast itself was good and varied, though not quite as well attended/replenished as we've experienced at other HIE's. In the evenings delicious fresh cookies are offered near the reception desk, and the Internet is easily accessible in the lobby as well.

The staff was polite though they weren't exactly friendly - 'bored civility' is the term that comes to mind. Even so, we have no complaints about the service. We arrived at the hotel a couple hours early but had no problems with getting right into our room, and the 'ocean front' request I'd made by phone was wonderfully granted! All in all, we definitely enjoyed our stay at this Holiday Inn Express and would recommend it to others. The easy drive to San Francisco takes only minutes, but Pacifica is much quieter and more peaceful, and the beach area is great for playing in/near the ocean.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Desert Family
Midlands
Reviewed May 10, 2006

I stayed here for 9 days - Check-in was super fast, friendly and the room was above average. The hotel was very clean. I had read another reviewer's comment about the hotel smelling "like an ashtray" AFTER I had booked and was not particularly looking forward to experiencing this aspect, however I did not find this to be the case at all. Perhaps things had changed in the meantime. The room in which I stayed had a large screen TV and DVD player. Finally, a slight maintenance issue I had was corrected within a couple of hours, which was consistent with the great level of service I experienced here.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank bswee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacifica
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel
Half Moon Bay Lodge
Half Moon Bay Lodge
#3 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pacifica? Share your experiences!