“I would go back...”
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Sunset Inn is a well situated hotel, near a quite beach, in an area where wild deer roam around at night. The rooms are modern and quite lovely but the walls are quite thin and you can sometimes hear people in the next room. Not a biggie though. There are no views from most rooms. The clock radio had a connection for my iPod which was nice.

The staff are very pleasant, quite chatty and friendly. My only real downer is the complimentary breakfast. The lovely lady who runs the place said in was good. I'd say it was okay but they don't provide milk for coffee instead its that dreadful milk powder. They put it in a bowl near the coffee which seems pretty unhygienic to me. I would expect to get some sort of real milk at $200+ a night, it's just laziness not to provide milk and they really should sort this out. The rest of the breakfast was basic but fine and you could eat in the office, outside or take it to your room.

I would go back as it's well situated, with friendly staff and I felt quite comfortable but I'd take a carton of milk!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 16, 2010

We loved everything about it! I have no complaints, the area was so beautiful and quiet. With both of us working so much this trip was exactly what we were looking for. The scene was great, check-in was so quick, no issues at all. The front desk woman, Barbara, was extremely helpful, we asked her for some dinner suggestions, not only did she tell us about some great places she also gave us brochures with dining and menus of the area. We loved the feel of the whole area. The room itself was great, very clean, comfortable; very nice TV, loved the firplace, bed was great, exactly what we were lookig for. It was great to arrive and shower then take a beautiful drive to Carmel to an amazing and very romantic candle-lit dinner at de Giovanni's. Then a stop a very cool edge looking over the ocean :) Then back to the hotel for an extremely relaxign night in the Whirlpool tub. We also enjoyed the channel selection, we got to relax and watch cable tv(something we dont have time to do so much at home) instead of the poor channel selection I have seen in hotels before. The beds were so comfortable that we slept in until 11, also not common for us. Unfortunately, that was check-out time. However, Barbara very kindly offered us a late check-out at 12, no charge. With the extra hour I was able to have a delicious cup of coffee and get ready for the day. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sr09_04_06
Reviewed September 5, 2010

When looking for a place to stay during the US Open at Pebble Beach, we happened to find the Sunset Inn. It is a quaint little place that is tucked away just minutes from the ocean, 17 Mile Drive, and everything else that Pacific Grove , Monterey and Carmel have to offer. It is cozy and well maintained. The fireplace was wonderful to come back to at the end of the day since the weather was unseasonably cool during the golf tournament.
Barbara, the resident manager, was very warm and welcoming. She answered our questions, gave us directions and made suggestions. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Jean And Vic Fortinberry
Birmingham, AL

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Firstly, do not use the online booking engine; unreliable. I booked one room and got confirmation for two reservations. So I cancelled one. 4 days before my trip, I was told both res were cancelled! No apologies from the management. They could only rebook me for part of my trip because they were "sold out" the last day. I found out later they actually had a room but it was pricier than the room I booked. So not only did they lie, but I was left to fend for myself during Monterey Auto Week when all hotels are booked solid. Seems they should've given me the other room since it was their booking engine's fault to begin with. To top it all off, upon check in my pillow case was covered with at least 10-15 hairs (although they did promptly come to change it). There was a crumpled sheet and blanket in the closet (used???), and the window sill in the bathroom was covered with dirt. The rooms have thin walls; I could hear banging and talking from the room downstairs and outside. Luckily the last night we found a B&B which is to die for! And for a lowe price!!! Check around in PG before booking here...please!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vashya
PGSunset, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

Dear Guest,
Only 1 reservation that was made in addition to its subsequent cancellation. Both reservation and cancellation were made on 1/24/10. So, as of 1/24/10 your reservation was canceled per your request. If you have a record of something different please contact the Inn.
As for the housekeeping issue we are extremely apologetic for what transpired. Rest assured I have spoken to management as well as housekeeping about this issue.
Owner

Reviewed August 16, 2010

We've stayed at several different facilities in Pacific Grove, and this one has been the most pleasant. Just blocks from the shore and wonderful walks. The rooms were very clean and there was plenty of room. Perhaps the only complaint would be that the walls are a bit thin, so we did get more noise from the adjacent room than I would have preferred. In any case, a pleasant and comfortable place to stay in Pacific Grove

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sunset Inn for 4 nights at the end of June 2010 for the beginning of our honeymoon.

We paid about $140 per night for a king room which was a good value. Our room was just above the office and did not share any walls with any other rooms - this is just what we wanted.

It is very easy (and quick) to get to Monterey or Carmel from this property.

Positives:
--Clean, fresh, large room
--Fairly comfortable bed
--Windows easily open for fresh air
--Hardwood floors
--Close to beach
--Quiet, peaceful property
--Refrigerator in room

Negatives:
--Our "rain" shower. Ug. We loved our stay and are still glad we chose this property, but unfortunately, the shower was so painful we would not stay here again. The water pressure was very low and the shower head is too high. The water comes out in a trickle and it is very difficult to thoroughly rinse out all of the shampoo from one's hair. Maybe there is not this type of shower in the other rooms.

The inn is recently refurbished and they have done a great job. Everything feels fresh and clean. I do think our stay was special though because of our room. Ours was very large but I don't think we would have been as happy in one of the other rooms - well, for our honeymoon anyway. :)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Looks nice...looks clean...although we found a half eaten doggie bone that got pushed under the bed! Nice new bathroom...but totally disfunctional...NOWHERE to hang or put any of the bathroom items you need. Needs a little shelf or table...had to put a towel on the toilet to have somewhere to put my curling iron and blow dryer!
Barbara was nice...let us change rooms to have more light.
Breakfast was an absolute let down...not even hot water for the tea or oatmeal. She had to bring it to me in a cup from the back room! I think the breakfast needs a HUGE make over...barely makes it to the "continental" status.
So, the place is nice..if you don't need windows that open (no screens!) and if breakfast doesn't nmatter. It is newly decorated and clean.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Monterey Peninsula Inn
Monterey Peninsula Inn
#3 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!