“Owner needs to learn proper hospitality etiquette”
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
San Francisco, California
“Owner needs to learn proper hospitality etiquette”
Reviewed March 31, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 days. The rooms seemed clean enough but Barbara seemed completely unfamiliar with hospitality etiquette, especially when faced with complaints from a guest. I was in the room for 10 minutes and tried to use the bathroom but the door kept blowing open. I kept trying to shut it but with no luck, (and yes I did slam it a few times but I was on the toilet and just wanted that door shut, call me puritanical.) I found the owner and she told me "well the door was working fine for the guests last night" (which is the polite way of saying "if it IS broken, YOU broke it!"). When she came to the room she tried to give us a tutorial on how to properly close a door "No, you need to lock it first!" After the door wouldn't close she started giving me excuses for why the door wouldn't close: "Maybe people here like to leave the door open... people like to leave the doors open here" ... when they are on the toilet?! She also asked me where I came from (um, 2 hours north), as if my desire for a bathroom with a properly closing door only came from those from rural backwaters.

The room was clean enough, maintenance and housekeeping folks were also most pleasant. Barbara however was not. The carpeted stairs and landing outside our room were filthy.

Oh yeah since the maintenance dude was out, I fixed the door myself. You're welcome.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
PGSunset, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
Dear Guest,
I'd like to first and foremost apologize for your less than satisfactory experience at the Sunset Inn. For clarification purposes I'd like to let you know that the lady you refer to in your post was actually the Innkeeper and not the owner. I am the owner and I am fully aware of the situation that transpired between you and the innkeeper. After learning of this I have to agree with your position on etiquette. Our Innkeeper mishandled the entire situation. I have spoken to her about this and have instructed her to contact you immediately to rectify this issue. Please allow some time to make contact as you had made your reservation through a third party online site. They do not provide us with your direct contact info. Once we get the contact information our innkeeper will contact you. However, If no contact has been made within a few days please contact me directly at pgsunsetowner@yahoo.com.
I sincerely hope you accept my apologies as well as those of the entire staff here at the Sunset Inn.
TP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
london
Reviewed March 24, 2010

warning ! don't be swayed by the hype - paid $100 for room in advance, yes good value on the face of it, BUT on arrival the room paid for not available different and worse room provided - charged for higher cost room -- then charged again - have been trying to write to hotel for past 7 days to be refunded for overcharging but no joy so beware this could happen to you -- now chasing through credit card company .

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank californian1inlondon
PGSunset, Management at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
This is a duplicate review as "beware this hotel". Unfortunately we did make a billing error in this guest's case. We take ownership of that and have subsequently refunded the guest. However, the refund process takes at least 7-10 business days when we have all the information needed. It takes even longer when we don't which was the case here. (Please see guest's initial post if needing details)
It is unfortunate that the duration of our process warranted this guest to open another Tripadvisor account to circumvent Tripadvisor's rule of only allowing 1 guest review per stay) We are truly sorry for the time spent on posting. We hope that we can improve on our review process.

If potential guests should be concerned about this issue please go ahead and read all other reviews from previous guests. We have an exceptional track record which is indicated by our #2 Tripadvisor Ranking. We are very confident that potential guests are able to differentiate between reviews posted based on quality of stay/room/staff versus one individual's billing issue. Having said all of this, we look forward to serving all guests at the Sunset Inn!
Management
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Beautiful location, spacious rooms, clean and recently renovated. Comfy beds. A great option just far enough from the hustle of Monterrey yet convenient to everything. Just a block away from great walks along the shoreline. Look for online deals on their website.

• Stayed February 2010
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stayed over Valentine's weekend and had a great time at the Sunset Inn. The rooms are fairly large and our included a fireplace, which was a nice touch. The location can't be beat - walking distance to the beach and a 2 minute drive into historic Pacific Grove. The only downside to this hotel was that we could hear our neighbors at times through the wall. Other than that though, it was a great experience!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed December 23, 2009

This is a cozy place to stay. I chose a standard room with a King size bed for 2 nights. The room was a little small but we didn't mind. On our first night the heater in our room wasn't working properly, it seemed as though it was stuck on a low setting. I went to the office in the morning and asked if we could switch rooms. The man at the desk was very courteous and upgraded us to a room with a fireplace for our second night. This room was much bigger and the fireplace heated the room nicely.
The location of this inn is perfect for exploring Pacific Grove and the surrounding area, it is only 5 minutes to the aquarium, a short walk to the beach or the Point Pinos Lighthouse, and a short drive to downtown Pacific Grove.
The only complaint I have is that although the laminate floors look really nice they don't cushion your neighbor's feet. We could hear the people in the room next to us walking around their room. Maybe they were just heavy walkers, but it was annoying.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed November 16, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here two nights during a 13 day trip in the USA. We both felt it was the nicest room on our tour. With hardwood floors and shutters, it was spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable. It was quite chilly at night and the gas fireplace added a quiet, cozy warmth. The manager Barbara was very helpful in recommending places for us to visit in the area and the hotel was conveniently located in this beautiful area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Just down the road from the sea. The room were like cabins with fireplaces and gas fire and they were so cosy and warm. The bathroom only had showers but two of you could get in together and a huge shower head. awe went whale watching and were frozen when we got back and put the fire on and it was so cosy and warm. The manager was very friendly and heplful and so were the other staff. A very happy place to stay and cosy we love this motel and would love to go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!