“Long time Pacific Grove Visitor”
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed August 11, 2006

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank McClintock

Reviewed August 7, 2006

We stayed in the Sunset Inn for three nights from July 11-14. Driving into the area we found Pacific Grove to be a lovely small town, with beautiful homes, a few cute cafes, several grocery stores and other shops to meet a traveller's needs. When we arrived at the Sunset Inn, the outside looked cute & cottage-like, very quaint. Our check-in was quick & friendly, and we were given the recommendation to eat at Fishwife just up the road (we did eat there and loved it - went back a second time!!) Upon entering our room above the main office, our first thought was that we had been given the wrong room - this seemed far too spacious (think "Executive Suite"-sized in any hotel chain) for our measly $89.95 a night!!! This was especially surprising given how pricey the Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove area is in general. But I told my boyfriend that we shouldn't ask just in case it was a mistake <wink, wink>, that we should keep our mouths shut & enjoy!

The room had been recently renovated and had a fireplace, and a nice little sitting area complete with a small sofa & chairs! The bathroom wasn't huge but was perfectly fine & clean. It had a cute little window, as well, which was nice for fresh air. The room in general had lots of HUGE windows, so we had tons of sunlight & fresh air whenever we wanted it (Perfect for warm July days). Now as for bed linens & towels, it was nothing fancy - just your run-of-the-mill motel stuff. But we really didn't care.

The breakfast included a selection of pastries, bagels, etc. and juice & coffee. One nice amenity: they provided flavoured syrups you could add to your coffee.

Now as for the location, I would say if you like nature, peace & quiet, it doesn't get any better than this. We had considered staying in Monterey, but I am so glad we didn't. We were a block away from a really lovely state park/beach, surrounded by picture perfect, obviously expensive homes, and often had deer grazing outside on the Inn grounds. We walked to the beach several times and just took it all in. Fantastic.

I feel like I really should say something at this point about all the previous negative reviews: for all you complainers out there remember: this is NOT a 5-star establishment, so what do you expect for $90 a night in a posh area in California??? We felt that for the money, this place (and it's location) was a fantastic bargain & great value. We WILL definitely be coming back to Pacific Grove and the Sunset Inn.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank american_girl_abroad
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We went for our 19th anniversary and chose to get a room with a fireplace and jacuzzi. When we walked in the room it smelled old and moldy. The carpets were dingy and stained, the bathroom had some mold and the jacuzzi jets were dirty. I think for what we paid it could've been a bit better. The front office personnal were polite. Our towels were nice and white,and the bedding looked clean as well.But I would only stay here again if I had no other choice, unfortunately.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank purpledelite
Reviewed May 29, 2006

After reading the reviews here, I deceided to stay at the Sunset Inn. Paul who checked us in is very nice and friendly. We were to get room 100 but our room was changed to 102. We opened the door to 102, which was updated, and it kind of felt like a dungen. Not what I was expecting. So I went back to the desk to see if there was anything else available, and we were able to check out room 109. 109 is a regular room, but just seemed more airey, so we changed. Room was comfortable, bed good, tv and small fridge helped. Now, the worst part is the bathroom!!! The ceiling and walls in the bathrooms in both rooms had mold, pealing paint and just gross. The hair dryer, which is the kind that is suppose to attach to the wall, was under the sink. So to dry you hair, you had to pull th dry. Now, how long does it take to attach a hair dryer to the wall? The towels were once white, but instead were grey and dingey. The bathromm itself was clean as was the room, but the mold and peeling paint were not very desirable. The location of the inn is good, and the continental breakfast is good. Deer even visit in the mornings and evenings. We stayed our two days here, but I don't think I would go back again. I would pick someplace else, but would stay in Pacific Grove. If you visit this area, the best place we visited was Point Lobos State Reserve. This is the most beautiful place to see the land and sea merge together! There are pine trees, deer, seals, birds and otters. Great easy hiking and the most scenic vistas you could imagine. We have visited lots of State, National and in between parks, but for some reason Point Lobos is amazing!!! Don't miss it! Bring your lunch and enjoy the whole day hiking and taking in the amazing quality's of this park. Go early though, once the park is full, it's one car out and one car in entering.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank JstLv2Crz
A TripAdvisor Member
Chico, California, USA
Reviewed April 25, 2006

I had to attend a conference in Monterey, and rather than stay at an expensive place in town, I thought I'd save some money by staying out at Asilomar, and commuting in to the conference by bicycle. This worked out great, as the bicycle trip along the beach was flat, had very little traffic, and eventually turned into a bike path, which lead right up to the conference center. Monterey is quite hilly, but there's only one mild hill leading up to the Sunset Inn on the return trip. This gave me a nice little bike ride every day! Also, Sunset Inn is short walking distance to the lighthouse, and Asilomar State Beach. So, early in the morning, I could go for a run, or walk in the invigorating morning air. It was very quiet and peaceful. The hotel was comfortable, and offered coffee and muffins in the morning. The staff was friendly and patient. There's only one restaurant within walking distance (the Fish Wife, which isn't bad) but really nothing else commericial. Mostly, the Sunset in is out of the way, in a quiet area, good for walks, near the beach, etc. I look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2006

This is the fourth time we have stayed here--since the first time, on our honeymoon 20 years ago. They made some very intelligent changes and it has just improved with time. To say nothing of the location---tall trees and the distant sound of the ocean...doesn't get any better. We loved it and we will be back in the fall. Also, the staff has been great to us, I left some things behind and they are mailing them to me. Thank you Staff of Sunset Inn!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank calcoastlover
A TripAdvisor Member
Monterey, CA
Reviewed January 16, 2006

I am a local that needed a place to stay for a couple of days and I wanted to take a moment to say I truly enjoyed my visit to the Sunset Inn. My room was relaxing and comfortable, being clean, which I am particular on. The continental breakfast in the morning was a nice touch. I loved my morning ocean walks from the inn and seeing the deer in the area. This place is a nature lover's retreat!

• Stayed: December 2005
#3 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#8 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!