“It could've been better”
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
California
“It could've been better”
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We went for our 19th anniversary and chose to get a room with a fireplace and jacuzzi. When we walked in the room it smelled old and moldy. The carpets were dingy and stained, the bathroom had some mold and the jacuzzi jets were dirty. I think for what we paid it could've been a bit better. The front office personnal were polite. Our towels were nice and white,and the bedding looked clean as well.But I would only stay here again if I had no other choice, unfortunately.

• Liked — It's location
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank purpledelite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed May 29, 2006

After reading the reviews here, I deceided to stay at the Sunset Inn. Paul who checked us in is very nice and friendly. We were to get room 100 but our room was changed to 102. We opened the door to 102, which was updated, and it kind of felt like a dungen. Not what I was expecting. So I went back to the desk to see if there was anything else available, and we were able to check out room 109. 109 is a regular room, but just seemed more airey, so we changed. Room was comfortable, bed good, tv and small fridge helped. Now, the worst part is the bathroom!!! The ceiling and walls in the bathrooms in both rooms had mold, pealing paint and just gross. The hair dryer, which is the kind that is suppose to attach to the wall, was under the sink. So to dry you hair, you had to pull th dry. Now, how long does it take to attach a hair dryer to the wall? The towels were once white, but instead were grey and dingey. The bathromm itself was clean as was the room, but the mold and peeling paint were not very desirable. The location of the inn is good, and the continental breakfast is good. Deer even visit in the mornings and evenings. We stayed our two days here, but I don't think I would go back again. I would pick someplace else, but would stay in Pacific Grove. If you visit this area, the best place we visited was Point Lobos State Reserve. This is the most beautiful place to see the land and sea merge together! There are pine trees, deer, seals, birds and otters. Great easy hiking and the most scenic vistas you could imagine. We have visited lots of State, National and in between parks, but for some reason Point Lobos is amazing!!! Don't miss it! Bring your lunch and enjoy the whole day hiking and taking in the amazing quality's of this park. Go early though, once the park is full, it's one car out and one car in entering.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank JstLv2Crz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2006

I had to attend a conference in Monterey, and rather than stay at an expensive place in town, I thought I'd save some money by staying out at Asilomar, and commuting in to the conference by bicycle. This worked out great, as the bicycle trip along the beach was flat, had very little traffic, and eventually turned into a bike path, which lead right up to the conference center. Monterey is quite hilly, but there's only one mild hill leading up to the Sunset Inn on the return trip. This gave me a nice little bike ride every day! Also, Sunset Inn is short walking distance to the lighthouse, and Asilomar State Beach. So, early in the morning, I could go for a run, or walk in the invigorating morning air. It was very quiet and peaceful. The hotel was comfortable, and offered coffee and muffins in the morning. The staff was friendly and patient. There's only one restaurant within walking distance (the Fish Wife, which isn't bad) but really nothing else commericial. Mostly, the Sunset in is out of the way, in a quiet area, good for walks, near the beach, etc. I look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Harbor City, CA
Reviewed April 24, 2006

This is the fourth time we have stayed here--since the first time, on our honeymoon 20 years ago. They made some very intelligent changes and it has just improved with time. To say nothing of the location---tall trees and the distant sound of the ocean...doesn't get any better. We loved it and we will be back in the fall. Also, the staff has been great to us, I left some things behind and they are mailing them to me. Thank you Staff of Sunset Inn!!!

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank calcoastlover
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 16, 2006

I am a local that needed a place to stay for a couple of days and I wanted to take a moment to say I truly enjoyed my visit to the Sunset Inn. My room was relaxing and comfortable, being clean, which I am particular on. The continental breakfast in the morning was a nice touch. I loved my morning ocean walks from the inn and seeing the deer in the area. This place is a nature lover's retreat!

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 29, 2005

I stayed in room 110 and was very happy here. It is true that the room was a bit on the shabby side and the hotel is old, however the location CANNOT be beat. I enjoyed my fire each night. The hotel is very generous with their duraflame logs. I found my room charming albeit small. When I arrived deer were on the front lawn of the office. The area is LOVELY. 5 minute walk to the beach. The jacuzzi did not look appealing at all and my shower in the room was surely built for hobbits, but I only paid 54.50/night for my 3 nights so I didn't expect the Ritz Carlton. I will definitely stay here again. I suggest you call the hotel directly for the best rates as what they quoted me was lower than anywhere on the internet.
The staff are kind and pleasant. The place was nice and quiet and you can hear the roar of the ocean late at night and early in the morning.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank BudgetTraveler5
New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2005

When I arrived at the Sunset Inn, I expected to find a quaint, comfortable, quiet place by the beach. I went to the office and gave the clerk the rate I was quoted online, which is recommended, and he gave me that rate saying that I was going to LOVE the room he was putting me in. The room I received had a gas fireplace and one queen bed. But not only did I not love it, when I pulled back the comforter, I was greeted by a fairly large spider scurring away. The room itself smelled of medicine, old and musty, and at night it was worse. Throughout the night, intermittently almost on the half hour, I heard the constant sound of buzzing, like a lawn mower starting up. Later I found that this sound was caused whenever someone turned on the water. On top of this, there was banging on the floor above me consistently from 6 to 8 AM. Granted, this was not the hotel's fault, but this could have been due to over-booking and overly-thin walls. Nevertheless, this was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. Ths place is shabby, the staff distant, and the prices entirely too high for the quality. The cleaning staff however, is pleasant and friendly. But there are so many pleasant places to stay in Pacific Grove. Pick one, and avoid this overpriced and unpleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2005
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!